What if ES pistols got the flying CoF buff carbines did?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DarkStarII, Dec 19, 2016.

1. DarkStarII

What do others think? How would it effect the game?
    • Up x 2
  2. stalkish

And shotguns, and smgs, and anything else LA can carry.
    This cherrypicking of carbines makes no sense at all to me, its all or nothing.

Do it.
    • Up x 1
  3. Jake the Dog

Please not shotties. For the love of god and all that is good not shotties.
  4. stalkish

But have you actually thought about it or is that a knee-jerk reaction?
    All the weapons should share the same penalty for jetting, the fact that some shotguns can kill with a single shot is irrelevant as they would need close range anyways.
    If anything, the drifter LAs headshotting carbines from 50m away are more of a problem than any drifting shotgun user, a carbine can shoot from above and at decent heights now with the new cof, a shotgun still needs to get close.

What difference would this make for a shotgun user?
    • Up x 1
  5. FateJH

Actually, it makes a certain amount of sense if you start from the assumption that they wanted to target Light Assaults only. Cone of fire is typically an aspect of the weapon itself and it would be a respectable amount of work to create a completely new modification system based on who holds the weapon. They most likely want to retain the weapon's current balancing considerations for the other classes. It'd be easy to modify the cone of fire for the weapon category Carbines, however, since only two classes have access to it and that minimizes side-effects.

Under that line of thought, you wouldn't be able to do it for side-arms either since they are shared weapons.

The real question is whether my assumption about development laziness is correct.
    • Up x 1
  6. Jake the Dog

Because I don't like shotguns. Its a personal vendetta not associated with any logic or reasoning and not the basis of any sort of logical discussion.

I just don't like easy to use ohk weapons on extremely mobile platforms. You guys are probably right that it needs to be buffed to be more in line with the carbines. PISTOLS ESPECIALLY. But imagine having a blackjack drifting through the point room. Once again im biased.
  7. Pat22

If you put it on pistols and SMGs and Shotguns you're inviting bunny hopping hipfire heavies.
  8. Demigan

I see no reason not to add it to ES pistols, they need a buff compared to the NS revolvers.
    • Up x 2
  9. Jake the Dog

It might make the amp a more viable choice. The amp needs extended mags still imho. Its alright as a finisher I guess but you expect 70% of your rounds to be off target...
  10. LaughingDead

To be fair SMGs are unimpressive compared to CQC carbines. SMGs should probably get that buff as well
  11. Gundem

I think it would be more interesting to see SMG's get the ability to fire more accurately while sprinting.
  12. LaughingDead

How about the ability to shoot while sprinting:p
    • Up x 1
  13. Liewec123

i think it would favour TR the most,
    it would'nt be very practical for the slow firing sidearms which require precision such as those of the NC
    but rapid fire weapons like repeater and amp could see good use out of it.
    that being said, spiker and desperado could be cool :)

disclaimer: i'm not saying "TR OP!" i'm just giving my opinion on how i think it would benefit the factions,
    i play all 3 and would welcome the change, i'd probably use it with inquisitor (or repeater), spiker+desperado :D
  14. FirePhox

I would love it if my Beamer had a tight CoF while jetting. Switching to a pistol while jetting is so jarring since your CoF goes from tight to ****huge, it's super annoying.

Now that the dust has settled, and the LA apocalypse turned out to be nothing, it has really highlighted how mobility isn't the utterly astronical advantage that some people in the past have claimed it would be. Whenever you're using your JumpJets, you're moving predictably which makes you a super easy target and also super easy to kill.

With that said, I don't think buffing all LA weapons to have good Airborne CoF would change much; it would make the SMG's more deadly for sure, but SMG's are generally ragarded as bad for the LA and now that they don't get tight CoF compared to carbines, they are a massive downgrade. As for shotguns, well post nerf shotguns won't be as much of an issue since they won't be as deadly up close. LA should be the most deadly class up close anyway since they are the "short range skirmisher" and "forerunning first assualt class".

The biggest problem with Carbines 2.0 is that they really illustrate how the LA should have been all along, mobile and fast paced; when you switch to another weapon though the change is really jarring and in all honesty, just not fun, and for that reason alone I think they should just make all weapons have tight airborne CoF on the LA.
    • Up x 1
  15. CutieG

Dude, have you ever tried to bunny hop in this game?
    There's a penalty that makes you unable to move if you jump more than twice in a row.

@FirePhoenix:
    Yeah, I'm surprised at how good Light Assaults feel now.
    I used to see jump jets as a separate mechanic that should be used outside of combat.
    Now it's a way to jump into the fray and lay on the fire. It's incredibly organic.
    And the Rocklet Rifle really rounds this out.

I wonder what would happen if SMGs could shoot while sprinting.
  16. Pat22

It's more than twice, and definitely takes more time to kick in than it would take for a heavy to hipfire headshot you with a Commissioner or Cyclone.