What hardware & overclock do you have, and does it help PS2 performance?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by prodo123, May 20, 2015.

1. prodo123

The last patch dramatically improved CPU threading and multicore utilization. Like a lot of people here, I'm getting a lot less CPU bottleneck than before. I have are 4 cores and 8 threads while some players run 6 or even 8 cores!

PS2 I think tends to scale very well with more cores, but I'm not sure about sheer clock speeds' impact on performance. Let's discuss it here.

What's in your battlestation, how hard do you drive it and how does it affect the game engine performance?

I run a 4790K and a GTX 770 4GB. Both are overclocked, the CPU at 4.8 Ghz using offset method and the GPU at 110%. I'm slowly pushing the CPU up even further, and I think I got headroom for 4.9. I get 60 FPS almost everywhere on ultra, and 30-40 on Hossin because it's Hossin.
  2. RedArmy

nobody likes hossin, hossin doesnt even like itself so it makes those orange plants like tank busters
    • Up x 1
  3. Grumblefern

Hate Hossin, A2G is ridiculous there.

Anyway I've got GTX 670 and i5 2500k, w/8 gb ram, a 250gb SSD, and game runs fine for me on all settings except there are a few I never turn on.

I lower most of my settings though 'cause potato mode is a huge advantage. I leave one setting on high just 'cause it helps to see cloaked infils, the rest as low as they go. Personally I wish it weren't so but such is life which is like a box of chocolates: A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates.

So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a peanut butter cup or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So, you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you got left is an empty box filled with useless brown paper wrappers.
  4. RedArmy

i keep mine at medium although i can run at ultra - cuz the higher its set the harder it is to play and spot people - ghetto cheating
  5. Hatesphere

CPU: i5 2500, 4 cores running at 4.3GHz

RAM: 16 gigs of ram at 1600 MHz. the ram really made a difference with hitching. I cant stress enough to the less experienced, that even though you bought high speed ram you still need to set its clock in the bios, or you just wasted money.

GPU: I have an aging GTX570 core clock at 830 with a core voltage of 1000. barely goes over 60-70% usage.

Overall I rarely dip bellow 50 fps in even the largest of battles

overclocking my CPU had the greatest effect, high clocked ram stabilized it.
    • Up x 1
  6. prodo123

Interesting. I bought a cheapo 2x8GB 1333 Mhz set that I can overclock to 1866 without changing timings, and was planning to push it further when my CPU overclock stabilizes. Now that I'm happy with my 4.8, I'll see what happens when my RAM gets driven to its limit.
  7. Yessme

I 7. 4790k oc @ 5 GHZ
    Msi Z97 Gaming 3
    G Skill 2* 8 Gb. Oc @ 2133 MHz
    GTX 750Ti. Oc @ 1400 MHz

Hossin with Ultra settings+ blooming in 96+ Fights 90-140 fps
    Standard all Maps 96+ Fights 100 - 140 fps
    Under 96+ 120-140 fps

140 fps is limitet on user Option for my screen
  8. prodo123

Those numbers seem very off. My GTX 770 has the same clock as your 750 Ti, but somehow you pull triple my FPS with a card with half my performance? Unless you're running a smaller screen, lower render quality or have smoothing (AA) off or something, I call BS on your numbers.

This guy is running the same settings that you are supposedly running, and has a peak of 45-50 FPS with no other players on the screen. There is no way a 25%/40% clock increase will triple or even quadruple your framerates. 4790K 4.7Ghz will boost synthetics by only 9% (at most 3-5 more FPS in game) while 750 Ti at 1310 Mhz gives at most 11% more in-game framerates at most.

Only people I know who get 100+ FPS on full ultra run x99 with a 980/Titan overclocked to insanity. Send your graphics config and screenshot from Nvidia Control Panel so we can see if you're actually running ultra.
    • Up x 1
  9. Liewec123

i recently upgraded to a gtx 970 to run GTA V with everything maxed out, it runs smooth as butter :D
    i was running PS2 on ultra with render quality 2.0 (basically renders the game twice to make it look delicious)
    it was silky smooth but the recent patch is giving me frame rate issues. (even on low)
  10. MikeyGeeMan

Oc my 980x extreme to 4.2
    Used to get 65-70

No oc at 3.6 gave me 60-65

But no of was gpu bottle necked and oc was cpu bottlenecked.

After patch always gpu bn but frames stayed consistent.
  11. Taemien

You should be getting triple those framerates without overclocking. Something is gumming up your system somewhere.

This is what I used to have:

AMD Phenom II X4 970 @3.5Ghz
    ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
    8GB DDR3 RAM

That got similar framerates as you (maybe 10-15 less in some areas).

Then I tested it with this (well didn't seek to test, but my new GPU blew out so had to use the old one till replacement came in):

Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0Ghz
    ATI Radeon HD 5870 (same GPU as above)
    16GB DDR3 RAM

90-120 FPS

GPU came in and so my current system is:

Intel Core i7-4790K
    Nvidia GTX970 4GB
    16 GB DDR3

120-150 FPS (200+ with shadows turned off.. decided to turn them back on since I had frames to spare lol)

So with the same CPU as you, running stock is getting way more output than your system even though I used an inferior GPU. Make sure you turn off Smoothing, that will cap you at 60. Dunno why you're getting 40 on Hossin. You should be seeing 120+ easily even without an Overclock.

Try this, turn off the overclocks and see if the performance goes up (if smoothing is already off).
  12. Yessme

I not a Secret, that the GTX 750 TI the only 700 series card is with the new Maxwell chip GM107
    ur card is a GK104-GPU a littel boostet Kepler chip from the GTX 670..

Next Secret XD half of performance???? Maxwell vs Kepler?? :p what u dream.
    ok i tell u now that secret: the GTX 750TI is a Maxwell of the 900 series ( only 900 series have Maxwell Chips) limited by the TDP Option on the bios default.
    TDP is limited by 35 watts thats why the card is slow. But the limit is just an Option on the Bios Settings.

Now the Most Secret : Set the TDP Limit in the bios options (Need NV Flash and Kepler Bios tweaker) to 75 *2 = 150 watts.
    U just Need to flash the Bios of the GTX 750 TI and chance the TDP Limit of that card, and u have 95% of the power from a GTX960

And i can OC my card to 1600 MHZ, but than i have 90C core Temp for this MHZ i Need a other Cooler, i see a GTX 750TI wather cooled with 1850 MHZ running

My Screen is a LG 24GM77-B.AEU 60,9 cm (24 Zoll) LED-Monitor
    i Play on 1080p resulution

ah vorgett + i get the best CPU for PLANETSIDE2 I7 4790K, u can have a I7 with more cores 6/12 or 8/16 but u woldn`t have the same Performance like me.
    devil`s canyon is devil`s canyon, is best Gamer CPU
  13. JohnGalt36

Isn't that video pre-patch? The patch drastically improved performance for me.
    I'm getting 100+ FPS on full ultra. Most of the time over 120.
  14. Yessme

I see u have a Haswell i5,

i Thing the haswell chip generation is the best CPU / GPU for PS2.
    If u don`t have a Haswell CPU u have problems with the Performance..

AND i vorgett, the most Boost i have who i got my SSD.
    If u don`t have an SSD u have much performance problems.
    SSD givs me 20-30 more FPS.
    I runn my i7 4790K with an HDD, and that was only ****
    with the SSD it runns nice
  15. Hatesphere

unless you got a good die run, thats a good way to fry a chip.
  16. JohnGalt36

I actually have PS2 running on my HDD. Maybe I should migrate it to the SSD, but my performance is fine anyway. It's not like my TV refreshes faster than 120hz.
  17. Yessme

no the only fact by OC is the Temp. Maxwell cips have a ( Hard temp limit by 100C) and a ( soft Temp limit by 90C)
    90C is for 24/7 a limited Temp shouldnt go over it. 100C is only if u want to know what the cpu can do
    My card runn 1400 Mhz by 70-80 C, without boost 70C and if boost to 1450MHZ hole time working 80C.
    thats a good core Temp and my card runn now over 4 Month with it. my limit is 1540MHZ, than my card goes to 90C.
    But i don`t need that limit, it givs me just 5 FPS more than now.
    only problem what i have is the fu ck Nvidia driver, some driver crash and i Need the old Palit Driver. the Nvidia Driver crash by 1250 MHZ, the Geforce Driver by 1325MHZ, only with the Palit Driver i can go to 1400 MHZ.

hmm who i haved that HDD it got much troubble with Performance. thought hole times it was my CPU, but than some one tell me, buy a SSD, i dit it and now i clear, i buy a small 256GB for 70euro, and now never performance probems with ps2
    with HDD my pc need for starting 20 - 25 Sec
    with SSD now 7- 12 Sec
  18. JohnGalt36

Off topic, but where are you from?
  19. Yessme

Germany and u?
  20. JohnGalt36

USA, but I stayed in Germany a few years ago. German language is one of my majors at my University. I'm actually hoping to do an internship in Berlin this next summer. I love the country, language, and culture.