What happened to the weapon variety on MAXes?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Zephirenth, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Zephirenth

I can't speak for VS or NC MAXes, as I don't play those empires, but after checking the cert page for TR's MAX, the AA and AV weapons have only one choice each, yet the AI weapons have 4 different options to choose from. Granted, I like the options AI has, but what happened to the AA and AV variety? I was personally looking forward to grabbing SKEP Pounders.
  2. Drakortha

Yeah it's quite lacking. You'd think with such a large unit and advanced suit there would more uses for it. Right now it's only purpose is to deal damage.
  3. VKhaun

I don't agree with Krakortha, the MAX is definitely there for dealing damage and being a BAMF.

But yeah the MAX was launched pretty shallow. In beta they actually had flame throwers for it that I was just dying to get... but they didn't make it into release. It was also supposed to have all three MAX special skills from PS1 as options for all three factions in the same slot as the charge skill. (A temporary shield like the HA has, a low power jetpack for jumping walls, and a 'deploy' mod where you could not move but got a RoF increase.).

Personally I want melee weapons for it. I know that it makes no sense, but I don't care. I would literally give my MAX's left arm to make his left arm a giant fist, or a blade, or a mace, or something awesome like that. +50% melee damage for giving up an arm.
  4. FirstPersonWinner

Did the flamethrowers ever really work in the beta? I don't remember ever seeing them used in combat.
  5. Ocaml

Melee weapons should be equipped to both hands at the same time:

1. Left hand - big riot shield with 100% protection against small weapons and explosive weapons. It should have two positions:
    - "on guard" - ahead of MAX, when move speed reduced slightly and MAX cannot attack;
    - "movement" - at the left side of MAX, protecting only 30-40 % of his frontal armor.

2. Right hand - energy sword, one-shotting infantry within 2 meters in frontal attack cone (90-120 degrees).
  6. Zaik

It was difficult to tell because they were always extremely expensive and wipes happened often enough that you really didn't want to blow everything on something that might be okay.

That's probably got a lot to do with why they aren't around now, nobody tested them because they had the same or less effective range than the normal max weapons(depending on your faction).

The most I saw them used were at raves at the NC warpgate. That's not even a joke.
    • Up x 1
  7. Deschain

Flamers worked fine in beta, but complaints flooded the forums and the end result was the inferior max we have now that can be taken out with a melee knife. Very sad state unfortunately.
    • Up x 1
  8. Ripshaft

To answer your question... well... yes and no... yes they did damage, but no they were not practical, and didn't really seem to have any special purpose to them. Basically while they did ok damage over a bit of an area (basically a small cone), their main appeal and downside was the fact that they completely blinded anyone in the flames..... but unfortunately they also blinded anyone shooting the flames or looking at them from a close range.... more importantly, unless you were shooting accurately, the damage was very poor... and when you cant see what you're shooting at, it's hard to hit.

I spent quite some time with my dual flamers trying to find a use for them from tech test until the first wipe, and never found a reason to use them over the default ai guns. Bit of a shame, but I wouldnt be surprised to see a flamer 2.0 return at some point. But as they stood they didnt really add anything to the game, other than pretty flames.
  9. Louis Farrakhan

flamer with the mcg was beast. the flamer blinded the enemy and panicked while the mcg tore him apart.
  10. Kiddneey

There is a woeful lack of variety with MAXes. Tellingly, more was removed during Beta-to-release than was added, and MAXes remain different from faction to faction. This is good or bad, depending on your perspective.

What would an NC MAX player give to have access to a repeating Gauss cannon, similar to the TR or VS weapons?
    What would the TR or VS MAX players give to have access to shotguns?
    What would any MAX player give to have flamethrowers back?
    What would any MAX player give to change his regular Bursters for the 3-mag super-shot bursters which were planned?

Who wants Ammo Cannisters, when you are practically forced to play with an Engineer buddy that can supply you with endless ammo?

There's plenty more to complain about but frankly I'm tired of doing so. I'd finished my MAX on the first day. Bought the second AI weapon, second Burster, nothing more to look forward to really.
  11. Zephirenth

That they remain different is a good thing, to me. I'm under the impression that they're like the MBT's and ESF's of the three empires: they fill the same role, but are different in distinct ways. However, at the same time, they don't seem different enough. At least to me. Yes, their weapons are different, but so are the weapons for normal infantry for each empire. I never played PS1, but from what I heard about the special abilities the MAXes had, it would've been nice if they had carried those over to PS2, in at least some shape or form. It would have made them stand out from each other better, like how a magrider stands out from a prowler.
  12. Cavadus

They can remain different but the anchoring ability of the Terran MBT and MAX is a guaranteed death sentence. TR needs a new ability very badly.
  13. Bloodburn

I died to them, so yes, lol