What Happened to the Lore?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by -Synapse-, Sep 30, 2013.

1. -Synapse-

There was a pretty interesting back story to the conflict between VS, NC, and TR. But all we see in game is MLG decals, cash shop items, XP boosts, hockey masks, and shamelessly copy-pasted buildings. I want to see some hints of lore INSIDE THE ACTUAL GAME rather than inside a massive text document.

Of course there's always work to be done on the core game due to the way-too-early release, but I see no reason why a couple little things couldn't be added here and there to spice of the world and make it feel alive.

Things like empire specific battle cries that contain hints of what each faction is fighting for, or propaganda blaring from loudspeakers in the warpgate. Heck, you could even facilitate player-made story telling. Put a big 'ol stage for speeches in the warpgate, or let us inscribe something on our weapons at a certain battle rank.

There's so much you could do to boost the alive-ness off the world without much effort or development time, it just seems wasteful to make the game all about OMGMLGPRO360NOSCOPEHEASHOTYOLOSWAG420LOL, when you've got a really interesting story behind it all.
    • Up x 3
  2. Mr_Giggles

Great, more people to Q-mute granted they can a word in over the VOIP radio DJ's that will be up there non stop.
    • Up x 1
  3. IamDH

I like this idea. Not really agreeing with player-made storytelling tho
  4. -Synapse-

Yeah, that was a more a suggestion of a laughably simple way to make the game not feel so arcadey should the devs find the task too time consuming, sort of like how they handed cosmetics off to the community. I don't really want it, but if it's player-made or nothing I'll take player-made.

To me honest I don't really expect SOE to do much about this issue, if their track record is anything to go by. Seems like they really like to play it safe. Very safe. That means no focus on story, all focus on OMGMLGPRO360NOSCOPE etc.
    :(
  5. IamDH

I do think it'll come in, just not anytime soon.
    With all these issues currently going on, i don't think you should be surprised.
  6. Earthman

This is my primary problem with "professional gamer" culture. They can cause content desertification. What I mean by that is, for example, one map becomes the "one true map" because it has the most symmetry (most glaringly seen in League of Legends, but also in Mechwarrior Online which has caught the MLG bug), so-called "chaotic" elements such as a continual three-sided war for large territories start to be set aside (thus the battle island emphasis coming up), and generally people become much more hostile and demand both recognition and praise on forum and in game (such as public ELO attached to forum posts) and demand ways to look down upon and insult those who don't turn their game into a second/third job.

Most immediately in this case, the "professional" gamers don't care for or even want any content that isn't in their super-narrow focus. If the devs even started with some of the ideas in this thread, you better believe the armies of the "hardcore" would petition and lobby and make coarse insulting demands for all the terribad pleb scrubs to stop being roleplayer casuals.