What happened to PS2 hype machine?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Obscura, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Obscura

With the release of the battlefront beta yesterday, I decided to read into it to see if it would be worth downloading, when I came upon this ign article. This game lookslike a steaming blatant battlefield 4 reskin turd, it has 40 players maximum and apparently is already extremely unbalanced. So how has this been getting so much hype and media attention? Are gamers really okay with that kind of mediocrity and make their choice to play games on how much media coverage they see that it's getting?

Or is planetside 2 really lacking in funding for advertisement and media hype to bring more players to the game?

The only real cinematic planetside 2 has ever put out is the trailer, which could easily be edited in many different ways for advertising and even commercials. A youtube advertisement and some ads on different sites won't cut it for bringing a steady stream of new players, especially with the widespread use of adblock. So why haven't we seen more of this?

I realize they're more expensive to make, but if you hope to make a video game nowadays profitable you absolutely need effective and efficient advertising. Look at EA and Infinity ward, they have been releasing blatant reskins of mediocre games for years to an eager playerbase who gladly throw money at these piles of dog ****. So they definitely aren't doing it with the design of their games, it's all done with hype.
    • Up x 2
  2. SwornJupiter

It's from EA. They're known for shipping out overglorified piles of s***.
  3. haldolium

4. CovertYank

Well coming from someone who ACTUALLY played the beta, for the exception of the Blaster Cannon and the Cycler (Cooldown Sniper Rifle) the game is fairly balanced. Let's not the forget the game is just in beta, saying it's "already extremely unbalanced" is silly.

The only things I've noticed that is comparable to Battlefield is literally one death animation. The one where the victim holds his chest and falls backwards slowly. If you've played BF4 for some time, you'll know what I'm talking about. But nah, the games just pure fun. A lot of people are trying to make it crash before it even gets a chance to burn. Prior fans of the pre-battlefronts just wanted a straight up re-skin of their crap of a game. I'm allowing myself to talk ****, because Battlefront 1 & 2 was all I had to play for almost 4-5 years. Even without all the additions of the past games (Which were rushed pieces of crap also, don't think many people know that.) I enjoyed the beta a LOT.

The mass majority of players during the sessions I played agreed as well. Well, maybe less one guy, but he just said "meh."
    • Up x 1
  5. Halo572

Er, you do know that it is badged with an iconic, 40 year old, global popular culture influencing brand?

Perspective? That you have hundreds of millions (billions?) of people that have been personally affected by their love of Star Wars since 1977 versus a badly designed, buggy, niche 3 year old TDM FPS with no gameplay or objectives?

Even if it has an end of round it beats PS2 on gameplay and objectives. Noughts and crosses has more depth than PS2.

And throw in that it is now abandonware and you are comparing it to a juggernaut of a media campaign that is attached to the launch of the new film?

I don't understand why gamers cling to the delusions of their beloved games way past when any normal person has moved on and also are unable to see them for what they really are.
  6. Obscura

No, EA and infinity ward sell tons and tons of copies of the same game reskinned over and over. It's not that it's end of round, it's that its 40 player maximum player count in which dwarfs in comparison compared to planetside and pays no homage to the old battlefront games in terms of design
  7. ALN_Isolator

At least we're not in danger of losing any population to battlefront. Planetside 2 is better by a mile even in its current state. (which is still fun as all hell)
    • Up x 2
  8. FateJH

Did we ever have a hype machine?
  9. Pikachu

Maybe for a few days. Populations plummeted a week or so after release. Lots of people wanted to try this new f2p game and quickly realized how bad quality it had. Servers merged 3 months later after lots of waiting. PS4 release looks like an ever worse failure in all but balance.
  10. AxiomInsanity87

Yes it is badged with Star Wars with 40 YEARS!!!!!! of depth and a galxies worth of content.

This is why people think it's a bad joke.

These normal people you speak of with short attention spans.......please tell me more about how normal they are.
  11. AxiomInsanity87

12. FieldMarshall

Compared to EA. SOE has money problems and are understaffed. Last time i heard, the PS2 team was ~15 people afaik.
    They also dont know how to advertise, and make poor managing decisions about pretty much everything.

Most of the advertising i saw for PS2 was directed at people who already knew about the game.
    Posting about your game on reddit, twitter and facebook to people who are already going to play anyway isnt going to do anything.
    Its like they expect people to just "know" about the game, and get confused when its not as popular as they expect.

Screwing over customers again and again by for example removing the much loved cert tab just to make room for the implants screen that nobody really wanted.
    Leaving the anniversary bundle up for an extra day on "accident" so some people got it for 50% off on black friday.
    Saying one thing and doing another.
    Not using your own forum and calling it "great communication with the playerbase"
    Confusing random changes to their games that nobody wants, likes or needs.
    Balancing something so that its either OP or useless. No small tweaks over time. And slow to balance things (like ZoE)
    Empty promises about change.
    Removing passive cert gain for free players and acting like they did it so subs would get a better deal.
    2 year old bugs that they dont care about
    I could go on.

At least with EA you know you are going to have to pay for DLCs. You know they are going to release another clone next year. They dont try to hide their moneygrabs with excuses.
    SOE acts like they care, and then suck as much money as possible from you. I think thats what people dont like.

Anyway i digress.
    I think they lack funding for advertisement, but i also think the problem goes deeper than just money for advertisements..
    • Up x 2
  13. n0pax

Honestly Battlefront is a well made and relatively unique game that looks to be on pace to be well polished for release in 2015. It has a lot of features people want from an active development team who treats customers of their pvp focused game well.

PS2 is a game where you will spend 30+ minutes looking for the pvp action every battlefront match offers. A dilapidated server system which hosts their H1Z1 Battle Royale servers on the same server to cut costs because of a rapidly dwindling playerbase. Developers who have pretty much gone silent over the game except to occasionally mutter Xbox One port or cash shop bounties. Not to mention it is backed by DBG's atrocious customer service and support ( I got a message threatening a ban for shooting back at a group of people who were mass tking me for a month and sending me hate messages).

It would not make fiscal sense to advertise this game like Battlefront because it has too many holes. The attach rate would be too low to recoup the costs. DBG knows this, consequently they invest their money elsewhere (H1Z1 and they just announced a new mystery game announcement soon). PS2 is abandonware.
  14. AxiomInsanity87

That's like comparing theft to robbery though

One of them you pay nothing but it thieves from you slowly and quietly

One of them lets you know that it's robbing you but you still let them anyway, after paying them.
  15. OldMaster80

There is just me on ps2 hype train. It looks like I'm the only one loving the game besides all problems. Hell I would play hours every day if I could.
  16. sIcGER

back then when pro7sat1 was the eu publisher we had loads of planetside 2 commercial on tv (in germany at least). basically it was the trailer with a voice over. i remember a time when the planetside 2 commercial ran several times in half an hour, several times in one commercial break...
  17. Katana

I remember the beta on the forum, it was brimming with input and shortly after release pop was good, but the game was pretty poor. The only thing they really took on board as to input was the lattice links, but even then they made them a convoluted mess. I imagine a lot of people gave up when I did when this became nothing more than Battlecod Bigger Buggier Edition.

I've been trying to get into it on the PS4, to play with a couple of mates, but I'm pretty embaressed to have reccomended it and they've all already moved on :(
  18. RadarX

Let me clarify a few things if I can because I think you are a little confused...

• SOE hasn't existed for 9 months. We're Daybreak Game Company now.
    • I'm not sure how you came up with the staff size other than pure guessing. It's well under the actual number.
    • Also forgive me but if you already knew about the game, you didn't see the advertising. That's how online advertising works these days. You segment your customers and go after folks who don't know about the game. The promotion you see day to day through Twitter/FB is engagement and a retention tool. It's one thing to play a lot of video games and commentate on how they are made. Unless you are doing a lot of advertising, you may want to google how some companies are doing it now. It might surprise you.
    • This much beloved cert screen?
    • The Anniversary Bundle was almost a year ago now and there was some miscommunication with a company wide promotion. Won't happen again.
    • The rest of these seem a little vague and generalized.
    You are unhappy and I get that but I feel like we aren't going to be able to resolve that for you. I hope we can but if not, we appreciate the feedback.
    • Up x 6
  19. Agarthan

I'm a new player started playing >two weeks ago and have just <100 hours in game. My biggest concern is whether you, DBG are going to continue to meet the dev goals set out by SOE. There is a lot, and I mean a lot of pessimism whether you are going to indeed do these things. This game has a stupidly high replay value if you continue to iron out the game bugs, balance the content that is already available and create new, meaningful and substantial content. What can you divulge in regards to this? It may determine whether I become a long term paying customer or not.
  20. Villanuk

Hi Radar, to be fair people are unhappy for the very simple reason they love this game and they want longevity, which im sure DBG do as well, but the concerning decline in players is worrisome, more so when a game like this requires large volumes of players to truly get the full excitement from it.
    The marketing is poor, its not good enough and i dont feel its hitting the right demographic of players but if its about retention then DBG themselves are removing players by their own actions for example.

Bounty. You asked what we thought and it was a resounding no, we did not want it and certainly never not a chance with real cash, not one person said " please let me use real money to make 100XP " ( you get that for reviving a player ) In about 10 days its implemented against the vast majority of players wishes and if you say but many did want it, then tell me how many wanted to pay cash??

Their have been many threads about this and no response from DBG, so you have an opportunity now to explain why they have brought this is ( I know its not down to you, but you speak for DBG ) when players didnt want it and why cash?

Another DBG retention killer, cert prices. You said prices will change to enhance the players gaming experience, everything when up, how on earth is that good for the players?

Sales is about giving a little to get a lot, you make the customers feel they are valued, DBG are just not doing that and worse still, if they continue this game will erode and players will have the same attitude to DBG as they do with EA.