What finger for each mouse button do YOU use?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stromberg, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Stromberg

I've been using index finger for LMB, middle finger for WHEEL and ring finger for RMB as long as I can remember. since mice almost always have 3 buttons today, it's seems like a logical thing to do.
    After doing some random research, it seems like that's quite unusual though? most ppl seem to use index finger for LMB and middle finger for RMB. ring finger and pinky stabilize the mouse on the right side then.

I tried this out for a bit and while it feels strange for me, it also feels like I have much more control stabilizing the mouse with the stronger ring finger rather than just the pinky. downside is, you have to switch finger position to operate the wheel.

so, I wanted to ask which fingers do YOU use to push what mouse button?
  2. JP_Russell

I do it the standard way that you described. I don't have any need to operate the mousewheel/MMB and shoot at the same time. I also use a fingertip grip (between a palm grip and a claw grip).
    • Up x 1
  3. doombro

Thumb on thumb buttons, index on LMB, middle on RMB. my other two fingers just kind of hang there. I might try the way you described. Sounds more effective.
  4. Elrobochanco

Thumb on those buttons, index on left button, middle on wheel/right button, ring and pinky gripping the side.
    Have a G700.

I guess if i was really retentive I'd bind the left/right tilt of my mousewheel to something too, but I think I would hit it accidentally when using the wheel/freelooking.
  5. Tommyp2006

Index swaps between LMB and middle, middle on RMB, thumb on thumb buttons. Always felt awkward using fingers on the top of the mouse.
  6. Posse

Same here
  7. andy_m

Standard for me too... Too damn old to change now.
  8. Stromberg

so yeah, the responses suggest that most ppl use index finger for LMB and middle finger for RMB. I'm gonna try it out too now, see how it goes.
  9. KAHR-Alpha

I thought I was using standard as well, but now you made me self conscious about it and I can't feel comfortable on my mouse anymore.

This might be moved to off-topic btw.
  10. Prudentia

i use a g700 and the 2 finger setup you described.
    it basicly hurts and is impractical. tough you won't notice the disadvantages as everything that required the middle mouse button and LMB at the same time has been patched out.
  11. NinjaKirby

Interesting thread! I actually switch between both methods now, depending on the mouse.

Historically I've always used the traditional approach, but I've always had standard design Mice which is what I use with my Desktop PC.

For my Gaming PC I invested in a Mad Catz MMO7 gaming mouse, and I very soon realised in practice (Didn't realise while testing in the Computer store I brought it from) that it's better to have Index, Middle and Ring fingers across the Left, Middle and Right buttons, thumb residing on the extended buttons.

I think the extended width of the Mouse caused this, and being flat as opposed to rounded/domed. It also prompts me to rest my entire hand on it, as opposed to arching my hand and hovering over the bodywork of the Mouse, where I'm moving it with my fingers.

I had to increase the sensitivity quite a bit for the MMO7 because my whole hand couldn't move as freely when resting my wrist on the mouse pad combined with my whole hand resting on the mouse. Trying to incorporate the coordination for the Ring finger to click without tiring or getting cramps, and adjusting to the new high sensitivity was a big learning curve, but it's proved worth it.

There really is some science in these Gaming Mice.
  12. Sovereign533

=\ I do it even weirder,
    tumb on thumb button
    index in LMB
    middle and ring on RMB while the middle swaps between scroll and RMB
    pinky on the side
  13. Edenwolf

I use my index finger on the right mouse button, middle finger on the left mouse button and pinky toe for the scroll wheel.
    • Up x 1
  14. Fangry

Cant shoot and knife at same time so...

Only other thing to use "middle" is for free looking
  15. Stromberg

well you can rebind it ofc. I actually have pistol on the wheel button, minimap zoom on the wheel and grenade on the wheel left tilt. so the wheel was always very busy.
  16. smokemaker

The stinky one on the right button.
    The sometimes stinky one on the left button.
  17. Fangry

Wish Grenades would work like in real life and PS1
    Push left mouse button to remove the pin, release mouse button to throw grenade
    (or in PS2, whateer key its bound too..)
  18. Astealoth

I use a naga so, thumb is for numlock 1-9, 0, +, and -. Index finger is for LMB, M4, M5, and MM/scroll. Middle finger is for RMB, ring finger is for precision movement resting on the ring finger rest, and the pinky is for fine stabilization holding the side of the mouse. A naga is a whole hand affair. Do you 17 button? :p
  19. cruczi

Index LMB, middle RMB/MMB. And thumb for thumb buttons :p
  20. HadesR

Index LMB, Middle RMB ,

Reconfigured the bindings so use Right thumb ( On a side mouse button ) instead of scroll wheel.