what exactly does TR excel at?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fleech, Mar 15, 2015.

1. GhostAvatar

I am not denying or agreeing with that assumption. And yes it is an assumption, unless you have evidence to actually prove that yourself. But you're are also assuming people are using it for that because it is so good. Instead you might want to consider the fact is that they are used as such because they are so bad at AV.
  2. qquqq

TR excels at having low skill weapons
    Vulcan, mini chain gun, 40 round carbines (most forgiving to misses), highest
    dmg fastest mbt with highest speed and least bullet drop and 2 shells that 1hit inf. most flexible least cert hungry maxes,
    they even have no bright secondary color on their kit.
    • Up x 2
  3. Liewec123

any of these weapons (i assume you're talking about LMGs and ARs), all off them across any class will have crazy CoF if you don't burst, go full auto with Orion or Saw and you'll get a crazy CoF as you would with Carv.
  4. z1967

LMGs: Ranges from "meh" to "redundant"

ARs: Ranges from "good" to "burst variant". Overall in a good spot.

Carbines: Ranges from "Jaguar" to "meh". Still in a good spot.

SMGs: Armistice is meh, Failstorm is good at living up to it's name and disappointing people.

Pistols: Repeater is overhyped, AMP is trash, Emperor is king, Inquisitor is lol levels of niche abilities.

MAX AI: Ranges from "meh" to "top kek"

MAX AV: Pounders are overhyped and suck at AV, Fractures are eternally lolworthy

MAX AA: Neat, something marginal we excel at. Sorta.

Vehicles: Prowler is best in class, Mossie is meh. Vulcan Harassers seem to be fairly popular for the adrenaline/suicide rushes.

Overall: An outstanding "meh". Nothing stellar, nothing too trashy. Some areas for improvement though, and a need for something unique.
    • Up x 9
  5. EliteEskimo

Yes but TR weapons have noticeable amounts of horizontal recoil meaning they have less accuracy for full auto and longer semi auto burts.
    • Up x 1
  6. _itg

If this were true, Pounders would have to be much less popular than the others for AV, but not more popular than the others for AI (since no one is forcing you to use the weapon at all), so Pounders would have lower daily uniques than the other two guns. However, Pounders have the most average daily uniques, which means they are either extremely popular for AV, extremely popular for AI, or just very popular for both things. The KPH stats suggest it's that they're extremely popular for AI.
    • Up x 1
  7. zaspacer

I think a noted TR standout is the G20 Vulcan-H. I have not tried it, but it seems popular.

I think the TR Rocket Pods is probably the best Rocket Pods. Though NC's Breaker is close.
  8. omfgweeee

Tr weps:

ARs are top noch
    Carabines are very good
    LMGs MSWR is copy paste orion with trade of 75%ads for SPA
    Pistols are very good
    Only SMGs can be buffed a bit.

If your COF expand much release the fire button more often aka burst fire them
    • Up x 1
  9. FieldMarshall

Not rate of fire apparently. The one thing that single handedly defined the entire TR faction as unique in PS1.

Pistols are good.
    If you max out reload speed and lockdown, then prowler is pretty good for picking off stuff at range.
    • Up x 1
  10. MuggieWara

TR excel at being the only faction with its whole borders in flames during ALL alerts.
    • Up x 4
  11. Takoita

Or maybe every other option is just so 'meh' that people don't like using anything else?

Slightly better accuracy of the Mercy is offset with its piddling damage, Heavy Cycler is just a trap weapon all around, Mutilator has more ammo than you'll be able to spend in one life, but is otherwise the same as Heavy Cycler; Onslaught has better bite at point-blank range but not much else; Fracture is just plain bad against infantry and has serious trouble with vehicles.

I suppose their numbers are done with a maxed Lockdown in mind, but I hope you'll forgive TR for not taking up their equipment slot and certs with an ability that completely immobilizes the MAX, limits its turn angle, doesn't increase defense any and doesn't convey the crouch accuracy bonus.

What would you choose? If not Pounders, then what?

XXX

Also, your earlier statement in this thread about anti-infantry mines is false. For all the fun you can have using Claymores in conjuction with doors, every staircase is a guaranteed killzone for the flat mines. Blinking lights on Betties/Proxies are a problem, yes, but, IMHO, a much bigger one is the lack of meaningful differences between the two.
    • Up x 1
  12. Meeka

The TR excel at being really, really red.

The VS aren't as purple as the TR are red.
    The NC aren't as blue as the TR are red.

So, the TR excels at being red. Also, a primary color. The NC have blue and yellow, the VS have purple which isn't even a primary, the TR are solely red.

So, very very red.
    • Up x 2
  13. Leftconsin

I'm honestly so paranoid about forumside now that if talk positively about the faction I main, anything I talk about as being good this month will be relentlessly called overpowered next month and then nerfed into oblivion the month after that.

I know what is good about TR and I don't want the stuff I enjoy taken away by you nerf herders.
  14. Mongychops

Huh, OK, let me just check out the numbers for you. Let's look at the kills per faction for the last 6 Cobalt prime-time alerts, note that I do not play on Cobalt.

http://ps2alerts.com/Alert/5225 VS win
    VS 36.6% 1
    NC 29.3% 3
    TR 34.1% 2

http://ps2alerts.com/Alert/5190 VS win
    VS 32.4% 2
    NC 29.1% 3
    TR 38.5% 1

http://ps2alerts.com/Alert/5101 VS win
    VS 34.0% 1
    NC 32.3% 3
    TR 33.7% 2

http://ps2alerts.com/Alert/5082 TR win
    VS 38.0% 1
    NC 29.8% 3
    TR 32.2% 2

http://ps2alerts.com/Alert/4982 VS win
    VS 39.3% 1
    NC 29.2% 3
    TR 31.4% 2

http://ps2alerts.com/Alert/4944 VS win
    VS 34.8% 2
    NC 36.6% 1
    TR 28.7% 3

So, out of those 6 prime time alerts VS won 5 and TR won 1.

VS killed the most out of all factions on 4 alerts, and killed the second most on 2 alerts.

TR killed the most on 1 alert, killed the second most on 4 alerts, and killed the least on 1 alert.

Now there are plenty of factors in alert wins and losses, sheer number of kills is only correlated with the amount of combat and this is a relatively small sample. However, the data does seem to show that VS on Cobalt do plenty of fighting in alerts.

There are many reasons why it may appear that they don't, not only your own confirmation bias, but also VS leaders might be better at ensuring there aren't too many long-drawn out stalemates which tie up a large amount of forces for little result, for example.

Just blaming bad luck or conspiracy for your faction's problems on a server isn't helpful.

That said, it does look like there are issues with Cobalt NC.
  15. swisscowboy

we have the best AI- mines:

stop complaining about TR!
  16. Tetholin

Why should we stop discussing obvious imbalances in the game?
    • Up x 6
  17. pnkdth

I think TR are very rewarding to play. This is why I like playing TR.

1. CARV. 100 bullet with 750RPM. Lots of kills per magazine. This baby can clear rooms. MSW-R is similiar to the Orion but feels more accurate in ADS.
    2. T32 Bull. 670m/s means this baby is nearly hitscan. Minimal recoil means it is pinpoint accurate. It destroys other HAs because you are going to land a lot of headshots. Very good at longer ranges as well.
    3. Cycler TRV. Once you tame this beast, the casual ease you can get kills is kinda funny. I've even made this work for me at medium ranges. I prefer the forward grip over ALS.
    4. Or when you want a reliable workhorse, there's the default Cycler. Handles like a dream, and is effective in almost every scenario. Same goes for the Trac-5 but I think the Jaguar edges it out due to ADS and SPA.
    5. Lynx is really easy to use, and surprisingly accurate in ADS even without a grip.
    6. Cougar another example of easy to control recoil, and has the highest DPM of any 167dmg carbine.
    7. Default sidearm is a pocket SMG, and the only players who would claim it is overrated are those who take it for granted.
    8. I often pull the striker for AA duty. Especially useful where there are cover for air since I only need to fire above and still hit. Particularly useful against PPA Scythes who tend to bob in and out of cover in a fairly predictable manner. Galaxies trying to LOS your faction's bursters/skyguards is another prime target, and It doesn't cost me any resources either. Hugely underrated piece of weaponry.

There are more things on TR, of course, but these are the weapons I've stuck to using. I do not use SMGs much, and when I play infiltrator I use mirrored weapons(such as the SOAS-20, TSAR-42, RAMS). I play all factions on both Miller/Cobalt. Once you settle in on a faction, the novelty fades, and you realise there is very little that seperates the factions(least in terms of infantry combat). The most jaded players on these forums also seem to be those who stuck with one faction as their main for a really long time.
  18. St0mpy

• Up x 5
  19. GhostAvatar

Or for MAX killing! Which is the only real area they excel at.
  20. DxAdder

Both the VS and NC are so much better when it comes to CQC, the TR have nothing that even comes close.