what exactly does TR excel at?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fleech, Mar 15, 2015.

1. KnightCole

No faction excels at anything, since NC wants TR Rof, TR wants NC damage, VS wants accuracy and damage and RoF, TR want heavy armor but keep thier speed, NC want the damage and accuracy......

Basically we all want a gun that is like

845rpm
    0.3 vertical recoil
    0 Horiztonal recoil
    200@15m-167@85m
    100/300 ammo

Hipfire like that of a laser Commissioner, Cof bloom of 0.002, recoil resettle of 21.

Then, we all want to fly, with medic guns and heal kits, HA Rocket launchers, C4, jet packs, armor and health like a MAX suit, stalker cloaking like a pro, all the while having our gun with a built in suppressor, that while enemies show up on the minimap so we can always see them, we dont want the game to show us up on the minimap.......

When in reality it should be 3 factions with very unique feels and styles.

TR: 143dmg range 698-800RpM
    NC: 200-167 dmg, 500-652RpM
    VS: Energy based, high mag caps, avg dmg, avg RoF, decent handling, 652-698RpM, but good gun handling and accuracy, maybe high bloom or the high over heat mechanic now. Maybe some splash damage on their guns.

TR should be pretty good in close-mid range, good RoF, poor overall handling, very few weapons that are all that great at range. Their play style and tactic should be speed, smoke, trying to get in close to make their weapons work to their best ability

NC should be the mid-long range style, avg RoF, very punchy guns, good accuracy and handling at long range with higher Vertical recoil. heavier armor, concussion grenades and longer range artillery type things. Stuff to wittle the enemy down quickly, swoop in and take the base.

VS should be about alien tech. plasma weaponry, where every shot bleeds a little through your armor and into your main health pool, it would be entirely possible to kill a guy's health before his armor is gone. They would ignore a portion of heavy assault shielding. they would deal a bit of damage to vehicle crews. Their weaponry would have battery power, giving even thier pistols about 30 rounds worth of shots before having to change the battery. This would be weighed down by the over heat mechanic, allowing the pistol to fire maybe 3-5 shots before over heating, then cooling off period. An LMG could fire about 150 rounds before needing a new battery. Rockets would be charge up style, maybe you could put the thing in charge mode, but be at a reduced pace, kinda like the HA Shield now.

Each player should have to work together, you have to know your faction's ability and play within it. Ofc, there should be other factors to taking a base like logisitics where as the NC you could simply sit at distance and wittle down the TR where htey cannot so effectively kill you, then they run out of nanites, or "respawns" in taht base unless they resupply and you move in and take it.

Where as the TR, they would want sunderer and har drivers out running patrol to find the NC at range killing them before they can wittle down their own forces. NC Tanks at range? grab your Prowlers and rush them, you will get hammered on teh charge, but smoke, EMP grenades and your own air power pins them while the Prowlers move in. Ultimately mixing it up with the NC and killing them off.

VS...lol idk.
  2. Hegeteus

Yeah I usually do stalker inf and hipfire most of the time with few exceptions. At it's effective range it's just really dangerous to hind your mobility one bit, even if the recoil wasn't nuts. I also use it outside stalker inf... just so I have a shotgun in my pocket to bring good NC luck ;)
    • Up x 1
  3. BoomBoom4You

Empires are horribly imbalanced, VS has the advantage and has for a very long time, at least since ZOE max, but the devs refuse to make any changes, and they wonder why the game is hemorrhaging players and why SOE becomes a takeover target, devs lose their jobs, etc. It's their own stubbornness and if they haven't learned yet they won't ever, this is just a filler until a better game comes out for me. So I wouldn't get your hopes up for any meaningful changes!
    • Up x 2
  4. FateJH

This thread is about the TR, not the VS. Could you reframe your answer from the perspective of the subject being the "TR?"
  5. IberianHusky

Our ARs are top notch. Our Carbines are in a pretty good place. Our pistols are decent. However, our LMGs need some serious work, and our SMGs need to be completely rethought. Also, please buff the Striker.

As far as vehicles go, I have no real issues with the Mossie or Prowler. The Marauder is pretty meh, but the Vulcan more than makes up for it.
    • Up x 3
  6. Tetholin

I recently rolled on VS because I was tired of being utterly outgunned at every range by the Orion and Betelgeuse.

Going from the CARV to the Orion is like swapping from a push bike to a fighter jet. They just don't even come close. I then got bored of steamrolling everything in sight, unlocked the Lasher and found myself having huge amounts of fun and also scratching my head as to why VS is the only faction with a splash damage LMG. We have stuff lobbing grenades everywhere already, why can't we have a handheld version of that?

Simply put, like the OP stated, TR doesn't excel at anything. We need a niche. I thought the Minigun would be that niche, but that's pretty damn awful at the best of times.

Our LMGs suck.
    Our MAXs suck.
    Our SMGs are very hit and miss.

Fix please!
    • Up x 1
  7. wrenched

Anyone who has played the factions knows that Vanu have guns that are easier to apply damage to the enemy. Yes, you can say NC have higher damage, and TR have higher ROF (not really), but vanu weapons can apply the damage better and at better ranges.

To the average players, not the SS vets, Vanu guns are easier.

The only people who defend it are dedicated VS players.
    • Up x 3
  8. IberianHusky

If we're going by variety of weapons, the VS LMGs are actually worse than the TR in that regard. The thing is, those two "good" VS LMGs are the two best and arguably most overpowered LMGs in the entire game. VS ARs are in a similar state to TR LMGs. I definitely wouldn't say that makes VS any easier. VS carbines I cannot speak for as I have not used them, but I don't hear much QQing about them though.

The thing about VS weapons that makes them feel easymode is that the few good weapons they have are too good. As a man named Higby once said: "The VS won't use it unless it's OP."

If we're talking strictly weapons, the only faction where the grass is actually greener is the NC. The NC have the most well rounded and balanced arsenal in the entire game. Mediocre NC weapons are few and far in between.
    • Up x 2
  9. GhostAvatar

Fun fact for you. Averaged over the last 30 days the Magrider has been topping both KPU and VKPU.

Don't forget to mention that they are under performing for AV as well. Dont want to leave a misleading statement about them... now do we?
    • Up x 2
  10. _itg

If you're talking about Pounders' lower VKPH, it's clearly explained by the fact 90% of the time, they're used purely for infantry killing. If you've got other evidence, I'll listen.
  11. TheKhopesh

I've auraxed it as well.
    NOT a fan, just wanted to say I had auraxed it whenever people on the forums told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I said both the Scat and AMP need increased accuracy and extra ammo.

This video hits the issues of the weapon on the head perfectly (though ignore the whole "Silencer" part at the beginning, that part has since been rendered moot.)

The choke is a straight-up upgrade, though still woefully inaccurate for what it needs to be.
    If it turned the thing into a jackhammer with only 4 shots and half the fire rate of the JH semi auto mode it would be worth it, but it only gives it about half the accuracy and pellet spread, making it only marginally better, and still the all-around worst NC sidearm to date.
    • Up x 1
  12. Makora

TR has lost all the luster it had. The ONLY thing it has over the other factions is 10 rounds more in magazines but if I am honest, that is not a bonus, it's a saving grace. Unless you're above average accurate and lucky (mostly lucky) you can drop one target more then the rest of us peasants. But in any other case, those 10 rounds are what let you secure a kill in the first place. And in other cases you spend enough ammo to drop the first guy that those 10 extra rounds will not help on the second.

Our reload times are in general abysmal, fire rates are meh outside of a select few weapons that are also arguably meh. Our Prowler stands out, but is in no way "OMG OPzorz!" It's different, and it stands out because it is apparently designed to "stand still" in combat, and anyone who has played PS2 longer then 2 hours will know that standing still is the LAST thing you do in combat. That's what makes it stand out.

TR firearms either need to have close to double the mag caps of all the other factions as a standard or pump up fire rate on all weapons by an additional 50RPM, or stabilize the guns so you actually hit what you aim at. Think T1 Cycler with either 50 round mags, 800 RPM or TORQ's stability.

Sounds OP, but I honestly think it's worth a shot in some internal build at least.
    • Up x 1
  13. DK22

I play TR because of the color. Really can't tell the difference between blue and purple terminals etc.
    when your red, everything else is the enemy.
    • Up x 5
  14. Mongychops

Well, that extra damage per magazine is pretty good on the ARs and Carbines, and the option of 125 damage weapons does give TR a lower reload time option. However this advantage is not present on LMGs (NC are generally the kings of damage per magazine here), and badly implemented on the SMGs. Where the 30x125 armistice has lower damage per magazine than the 25x167 Cyclone even without using the extended mags (+10 bullets to both), and the Hailstorm's +10 over the Blitz / Sirius at the cost of RoF has always been lacklustre.
  15. 0fly0

Damn if everyone could be like you, i get shot by something like 10 friendly at same time yesterday because i was on top of a wall and they can't tell the difference between blue and purple... after getting shot don't ask me how i survive with 100 hp but a slow reaction friendly sniper finally manage to kill me (of course not with an headshot) it was just ******* hilarious.
  16. OldMaster80

Our specialty is to make people laugh with the Striker :)
    • Up x 3
  17. PastalavistaBB

TR excels at getting farmed by NC and VS collectively, all day. And raising 4th Factioners.
    • Up x 1
  18. TechMechMeds

TR excels at looking cool and being really loud and inaccurate.

But i love it.
  19. Xienxiuqhuah

I main NC. I play Heavy and Medic. I've got Nanoweave 5 on both and Nanite Mesh 5 on my Heavy. I've got the GODSAW, and am not very far away from the Gauss Prime. I've used a variety of the LMGs and ARs for NC. I'm almost BR80 (which I know is only half way to 100) and I think I have a solid grasp on the game. I average about 1.5KDR per session if I struggle for it and have an okay time. I enjoy the high damage of NC weapons, but the punishing recoil obviates them being the mid or long range faction.

I've recently decided to take a hiatus and only play 2x a week during outfit stuff and sporadically during the week. There were a number of game mechanic issues that led me to that decision but the final straw?

I started a Vanu toon. BR12, Heavy has Nanoweave 3 and Nanite Mesh 2. I use the Orion and the only attachment is a 1x optic. My average session KDR hovers effortlessly between 2 and 3.5. This is ridiculous. I should have less survivability than on my NC toon yet I don't. I regularly 1v1 NC and TR Heavies of high BR and dominate them. I kill almost everything I shoot at within 30m. On my VS toon things just die when I shoot them, and they die quickly enough that I can go 2v1, sometimes 3v1 if I start with full health and I get the jump. Whether it's hipfire in CQC (with those small Orion crosshairs...) or at longer ranges, I just dominate with a noob character and a gun that only has a 1x optic.

It just made me sick. The missing component people overlook is the skill floor in using weapons. NC guns definitely have the highest skill floor. Vanu weapons took the least amount of effort and acclimatization for me to use, and that's what makes them OP. If it buffs a crappy player like me from a 1.5 KDR up to 3+ that's an issue.
    • Up x 4
  20. TheBurningLegion

I've played both NC and VS, in fact I mained VS before I switched to TR and I do not regret that decision.

TR excels at:

1. Footzerging. There's nothing better than seeing TR soldiers streaming across the sand dunes of Indar and delivering glorious Loyalty to the enemy. This is the way PS2 was meant to be played, large scale warfare. TR is the only faction that regularly does that.

2. Our LMGs are all usable with no duds. I don't know why people say different. You don't need an Orion in every arsenal for your arsenal to be worth a damn

3. Our Carbines and ARs are all usable with no duds. See above.
    • Up x 1