What does the mana turret do?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by ATX78640, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Pallaeon

I agree it's very situational. Still, it's great for holding chokepoints and putting overwatch on firezones the enemy wants to push through.

Just make sure your flanks are secure.
  2. Vetala

I thought mana turret was for mowing down all those silly team mates who can see your obliterating the opposition and then still decide its a good idea to walk in front of you,must have been using it wrong :)
  3. Masteroft

If you press "B" (change fire type button) while you have the turret deployable on the hands, you can transform it into an ammo box (look at the floor after pressing B), so you can have two deployed ammo boxes at the same time, that's how I use the "HELLO I'M HERE PLEASE KILL ME" thing.

It's a bug I think.
  4. ATX78640

Ok, now i have another question. If you cert into MANA turret it "improves" it. So what does certing into it actually improve?

Also: in the games current state(lots of noobs running around) it is very possible(situationally) to get 3-4 kills with this turret before a sniper blows your brains out. Also i have situations where i get a kill, get shot by a sniper, lose half my health. Then i abandon the turret, run for cover. get healed. go back out and get another killl.

sure its not an ideal weapon system, but for now it works pretty well under the right circumstances
    actually the biggest issue i have with this weapon system is the graphics system not displaying all enemies in a large battle thus creating situations where i get shot by a sniper i never saw
  5. miniboomer

Guys...
    The mana turret is actually a decent meatshield.

You don't need to fire with it, but it provides great cover in places where you might otherwise be exposed.
  6. Gary

Best use i have found for it so far... Narrow roads where you know tanks are going to come put it down facing away from the tank. Tank comes round the corner see's that the turret is empty and more often then not they decide to ram it. They impact with the turret destroying it but then get stopped dead in there tracks until the wreckage despawns... This is a perfect time for your heavy assault friend to simply unload into the poor tank. With infinite ammo from your ammo box and infinite turrets repeat until they give up or you get killed.
  7. Phaex

The initial burst is super accurate. If you aim at someone's head and do a quick burst, they die. Those first shots are some of the most accurate I've seen in the game. In biolabs, set one up on a ledge with a view of enemy position(s), burst fire, and rake in the exp.
  8. Ashur

Clearly has nothing to do with the fact that you can only place turret on perfectly flat ground, so in other words in completely open, exposed and sniper/rocket bait places.
  9. Marzipanzer

I already explained when to use it, if you feel like quoting the first page. Go ahead and quote those posts too.
    If you man your turret in exposed areas where snipers could be hiding everywhere, you'll obviously get shot in the head. Just because the turret has a 180 degree firing arc does not mean you should plant it in spots where it can use all 180 degrees of its firing arc.
  10. Beltway

As of right now it slows down the rate in which it over heats. I believe max is 10 - 15 seconds on continuous fire without stopping, however that is pretty worthless since I rarely over heat.

Secondly turrets should never be used outside, if you do you are using it at your own risk. Place yourself in choke points where the enemy must expose themselves to take a shot at you. You won't live forever but you will mow down quite a few troops before you go down. If you are worried about being flanked simply put your back to a wall and get to it. I've got more kills overall with a turret than with my rifles.
    • Up x 1
  11. Vincent Rogas

My thoughts exactly. From my own experiences the turret is at its best when used as a defensive tool.

I tend to place it inside buildings over-looking open spaces in compounds (typically second level is better if available), but only if you know your squad is covering all other entrances.

One tip I would give (and this has saved my hide on more than a few occasions); as Beltway mentioned you do not need to have full use of the 180 degree arc to be effective. Take my window scenario mentioned above, I find it has helped to place the turret up to 5 meters back from the opening (yes this limits your arc of fire to around 1/3 of the full 180 degrees), this allows you a degree of extra protection from those pesky HA's firing rockets into the window from acute angels (i.e. right below you from ground level) as well as giving snipers a harder time of getting a los on your head.

Hope this helped.

Happy turreting! :)
  12. LoneGhostOne

i dont know about you guys but as the NC the base carbine is useless at any range other than 1 meter, so the MANA turret is great for long range. in base defense they're also great because you can use it as either cover or a great MG that always gets me a good amount of kills. i've deployed them before to get around 20+ kills when your the NC anything is better than your gun...
  13. k4el

It's for letting snipers know where to shot. That's why it glows and renders at vehicle distance.
  14. Pantokrator

Turrets are fantastic when you're working as a team. If all you want to do is go solo, it's not worth it. I've used the turret successfully many times now when an infantry assault is happening, and I outflank them, set the turret up, and beat them back from the side. This is great in the north of Indar, etc., where the terrain is wide open with only a few ridges and rocks for cover. Used as a suppressant, not as a killing device, it can turn the tide of an infantry assault.
    • Up x 1
  15. Lightwolf

Turrets are a great 5-50 meter anti-infantry weapon. You just can't get too attached to it. Use it in cover and against static infantry, take out a few and relocate. You have infinite numbers of them after all.

Use the sides to shield your face from known snipers.
  16. Pantokrator

Yup. Not surprising if people think it's weak if they have one set up in the middle of a tank assault. Used in the right situations, they're awesome, you just need to be smart about it and move when moving is warranted.
  17. Stromberg

they're great for spawn camping and camping doors ^^ biolabs and towers are good spots. don't use it outside, you're gonna have a bad time. also the bullet spread is insane, so mid range isn't even an option.
    edit: oh and they're also great at getting grief
  18. Falter

Burst fire.

I do just fine with mine. And even if I don't get the kill, I've damaged the enemy enough that a squad member can finish them off. It's a support tool, not a tool for killing all the things. Use it as such ;D
  19. Yumti

The turrets are very situational, but can be very effective if used right.

They are great for supressing jump pad spots like on the biolab flight decks. I've gotten 40+ kill streaks from that.

Also good for covering the rooms below the spawn point in towers, where fresh XP drops down in a contant stream.

They however have absolutely no value outside.
  20. Silvertemplar

Ok so regardless of where and how you would use a MANA turret. Why the hell does it cost 50 cert points to upgrade it so it takes a few seconds longer to overheat? I could've bought a ton of other things that give something i can equip , but the first 50 points give -nothing- ? WTF? Why would you ever upgrade this turret ?

It is also not very clear what the first cert mean, it sounded like a NEW turret (due to the cost). What a waste, all these "situational" things you can do with the default uncert turret.