What does the mana turret do?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by ATX78640, Nov 21, 2012.

1. ATX78640

I don't understand what the MANA turret is/does. The description does not help. Can you give me some info on the MANA if you certed it? I would cert it if its better then the ACE
    I only use the ACE turret, I find that if I am not sniper bait I can get good kills with it.
  2. Dhart

Have the same question. I have 52 cert points to spend and I can't decide to spend it on more ammunition, synthweave, scope... or a mana turrent. Might help to 'know' what it is and it's worth.

I'm a newb to FPS... so acquiring more certs is questionable at best at the moment... spending wisely is important.
  3. Shahnaz

The turret is a beacon of death made to attract every rocket shot from HA directly to you.

Don't waste anything on it until the Anti-Vehicle turret (Or the AT upgrades) gets here.
    • Up x 1
  4. ATX78640

k, but in its current state, what does the MANA turret actually DO, relative to the ACE?
  5. Goats

The ACE tool produces a MANA turret. The cert line just improves that turret.
    • Up x 2
  6. Flix

and if you use it (E) its a mg...if thats not clear. I quess that was unclear by the "what does it do"-parts
  7. Rockman

It's an AI turret. A fixed machine gun. Simple
  8. GoldmanSachs

It's meant to distract people by inducing confusion. They'll think "wow, was someone actually stupid enough to use this ability or am I hallucinating?", which gives you the chance to kill them right as they slip into severe existential distress.
    • Up x 1
  9. MartianDiscoFish

It provides free XP for snipers.
    • Up x 6
  10. Snugglebear

Yes it does!
  11. Goodkat

And heavy assaults, and tanks, and anyone with a grenade, and even people with knifes who know how to flank. I want to be able to dump the turret and just use ammo pack for slot 5 (I know you can press 'b,' but I would sacrifice the turret to not have to press 'b'.)
  12. Marzipanzer

Wow, looks like a lot of people are terrible engineers who have no idea when to use turrets. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 8
  13. Lightwolf

MANA Turrets are mid range anti-infantry platforms which also provide cover to everything but your head and the sides of your feet.

Infinite ammo, they have slightly lower alpha than rifles, but much higher sustained damage.
  14. Goodkat

I have been engineer since almost beginning of beta. It's not that I cannot get kills with it, it is just I can get many more using my carbine. Tell me how YOU use turrets please.
  15. Goats

Well, most people are pointing out that although it can be very useful at times, those times are few and far between. Snipers will always get you outside and grenades often make indoor usage difficult.
  16. Marzipanzer

Well, for starters they're extremely situational. I hop on a mana turret in the middle of a firefight unless I feel like getting the extra attention and quite possibly dying will work for the greater good of things.

I find that the best uses of the mana turret as it's intended involves limiting your approachability (hallways and chokepoints). As an example, flat out camping. Throw down a mana turret at the top of the stairs to the aircraft pads in one of the tower complexes (looking into the doorway of the spawn-exit/teleporter room) while you're securing the place, and it's kill-a-palooza.

There's more ways to use it than simply camping and gunning, however. Unarmed mana turrets in ambush positions work great as a distraction. If you're trying to secure (for example) point C on your own, throw down your mana turret facing one door, then stand near the other door. Then wait and listen. Depending on what you hear, you can either:
    A) Ambush them while they're looking at your mana turret
    B) Use the mana turret as cover
    C) If they're approaching from the direction of the mana turret, hop on it and have a firepower/survivability advantage. If you don't get the kill because they ran away, immediately hop off and circle around while they regenerate and try to think of a way to deal with a [unmanned] mana turret.

On the note of C, mana turrets also are handy for stalling. Use it until your foes run for cover, then abandon it and retreat or ambush as the situation dictates.

The stuff at the engineer's disposal is all about planning ahead and solving problems, imo. At the end of the day, though, it's just a camping tool or a decoy, though. How you make the most of it is up to how clever a use you can think of.

*edit*
    Also, might I add that they work fantastic with anti-tank mines? Chain some anti-tank mines around a corner and down the hall a bit, aim at the closest one, and when someone comes around to say hi, tank a few shots with the turret shield while you shoot the anti-tank mine and blow the entire corridor up.
    • Up x 3
  17. Ripshaft

lol you're that person who I always see running over people =p lol and if I got less kills with my turret than i would standing stationary with any other weapon over a period of time, i'd be flat out ashamed.
  18. MilitiaMan

What I was just thinking, last night I was mauling people attacking a Tech Plant.

The trick is to place it where the enemy doesn't notice you the second they walk in but you can see them fine, normally that means off to the side. Don't play in in a door way unless its up some stairs.

The shield on the front is worthless and needs to be buffed to a "working" status.

That being said, the buffs for it are really not worth it imo. Just get good a burst control and the standard mana turret is fine.
  19. Goodkat

I'll admit I should give this tactic more of a chance when doing stealth ops stuff.

I have never even heard of this. Sounds interesting, but the turret does not sound too critical here. It is like you said, they are extremely situational and that is why you rarely see them used and even more rarely see them used effectively. It is a game mechanic that could use some attention in my opinion. The AA and AV options could open up new tactics for us engineers.

Eh? I'm sorry you are so useless today. Better luck tomorrow! :)
    • Up x 1
  20. Wobberjockey

i wouldn't say that shield is worthless. many a time it has stopped a sightly misaimed round at it's operator's head