What do you think the impact of giving LAs a mid-long range option would be?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Pathogenic, May 10, 2014.

1. Pathogenic

Question is in the title!
  2. reydelchicken

Well they already have something like this.

Pulsar C, T5-AMC, AC-X11.

But something like the scout rifles suggested in other threads would be really nice.
    I personally think that if they gave LA something more mid-range oriented it really wouldn't change much, since most of the game is geared towards close range fights, and mid-range here is around 50m...
  3. Corezer

BRs would have been cool, but they are too powerful now I think.

ARs would have been cool if they were implemented since beta, but it would upset current positions of buckets (full of tears) which would spill over now, so no go there.
  4. MajiinBuu

There are always targets far away. Even in biolabs your target could be over 100 meters away. It'd be a little cheesy for an LA in a tree to aim at someone, *click click* and the target drops dead. The guys around him look around, bewildered. With Automatic long-range weapons you will probably not land all the shots, they are much louder, and they have tracers for every bullet.
    Now that I think about it, I'd LOVE a Nyx for my LA :D
  5. Pathogenic

Something like battle rifles would probably be what I would add, if the choice was mine. The question actually stemmed from them being included in the Medic update, which irked me. I mean, yes I can grab the AC-X11 and do okay at mid range, but it's still got 120 m/s slower velocity than the Warden and not enough oomph to do more than put someone into cover unless they're braindead. I get a few kills with the Hunter at 60m+ that way.

Actually, I'd probably go with a burst fire rifle that hovered at like 175 damage past 75m. That would give it a decent damage profile without making it venture into the clink clink dead range unless you just happened to get a triple headshot.

It just seems to me like Galaxies and beacons mean that other classes can pretty easily get to high points with long range weapons anyway. The LA would be able to do the same more frequently and in a larger variety of places, but "long range fire from high points" isn't limited to them.

Clearly though, my opinion is it would just help out the class. I just wanted to see if maybe I was being a whingy nawb or if it really was agreed that it would be bad news bears.
  6. LibertyRevolution

Light Assaults should have Assault Riffles..
    Medics should share carbines with the other support class, the engineer.
    I still cannot figure out why medics get AR...
    • Up x 2
  7. Iridar51

Battle Rifles would change less than many people would imagine. There are very few protected high positions in PS2: towers and biolab center structures. They allow LA to be very high, yet concealed. LAs massing over there to plink death from above would certainly be annoying.

Even then, one infiltrator with basic bolt action rifle will be enough to counter any and all of this monkey business.

If LA can see and shoot at you, you can see and shoot at LA, so I fail to see how this is imbalanced in any way. It's not like LA shoots through ceilings.

Choosing between BR or carbine, many LAs will still choose carbine as a more versatile option.

As for ARs - now those would be a power increase we need. That would certainly make us a powerful force to be reckoned with, as it should be for assault class.
    • Up x 2
  8. 3SIG

All my agrees, I have had the Pulsar C since I started the game, and I constantly get out-gunned, yet the Pulsar is the VS' best long-range carbine?

I do not feel like a shocktrooper should be getting outgunned by.. EVERYBODY ELSE.
  9. Dietre

im sorry to say but your aim must be pretty bad if your out gunned using the pulsar C, that gun is a beast!!
    I kill targets with iron sights at the 50m mark no problem and in close range I devastate people with smg, heavies etc,

it is a great gun.

as for LA getting a battle rifle....it defeats the whole purpose of what a LA is. so in my opinion NO. I wouldn't be opposed to the auto scout rifle however, as they are 143 dmg (some people like the feel of a rifle over smg or carbine) but the dmg is on par so it wouldn't be OP
  10. repairtool6

Just my opinion....

The "impact" would not be as big as ppl think, just simply because the "problem" is not so big as people think in the first place.
    There is this childish and stupid myth kept alive about ps2 is "cqc only" and that there is no point in gaining any sort of long range expertise. All this is false.

First and foremost (and i know this is not helpfull, but its truth and its important) people simply need to GET BETTER at ranged combat. Seems like overwhelming majority of ppl simply need to whine less and get skill.

If you equipp any of the high velocity carbines and routinely get 'outgunned' at long range then there only is 2 words for you. Practice more.

There is nothing else to say. You should WIN an absolutely absurd percentage of long range engagements simply by equipping a long-range carbine and gaining some height-advantage on the enemy. End of discussion.

Now of course ; BR's and long-range AR's are 'better' than long-range carbines for this.. But this is just a given, and should simply be written off as fact-of-life. In no way does this mean the proper carbines suck at ranged combat.

I suspect the REAL problem most ppl have is inability to keep and maintain a proper distance. It is soooo tempting to alway push closer, always push closer, always push closer. Always be 'first', always be 'frontline'. Do this stuff with cqc-weapons, but dont do this stuff with the high velocity carbines.