What do you do to stay effective?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by FlameGankin, Apr 4, 2013.

1. FlameGankin

In smaller bases, usually ones without turrets, i find my usefulness is limited to a couple terminal hacks and then I'm pointless aside from spamming recon darts if i lost my radar flash for some reason. Should i just lay a mine and run around as a different class? Should i pick up an smg and use my cloak to aid me in fighting? What should i be doing to help my team?
  2. ih8Darian

Lay a mine and become a heavy with resist shield
  3. Dr. Euthanasia

"Be a good enough player to overcome the Infiltrator's numerous flaws" is my solution, but obviously that advice is awful and the end result is still less that what you could be doing as another class. I suppose that for small bases, you could always invest in a proper battle-Sunderer and just drive that around with the specific intention of killing enemy players. They're actually quite tough, especially with Blockade Armor, and it's not easy for Engineers to kill a moving target with their mines unless that target happens to be very predictable.
    • Up x 2
  4. FlameGankin

I knew id get something along those lines as answers, well not the battle bus suggestion but the switching class. I usually work alone unless im rolling with my outfit. I guess the same effect can be archived with the flash with wraith, Fury's make great anti infantry and 1/12 sunderer chasers
  5. Rift23

Tonight I hacked a terminal, switched to an engie then dropped tank mines on the road leading up to it. Watched a lightning circle the base like a shark then suddenly it disappeared.:)

You can always switch back.
  6. asteldian

I use smg once in a base and usually getting to it. Laying a few mines around near the capture point allows me to kill targets that come looking, even if the mine doesn't kill it weakens them enough for me to mow down. As an inf capping an area leaves you too vulnerable as the enemy know you are there and actively look for you, come face to face they will likely win so tricks like mines to kill or panic the enemy is the advantage you need to win.
    Once you have hacked a terminal you get to restock mines too
  7. zaspacer

If it's a small battle, no side has been warpgated, it's an open layout base, and there is good terrain around it, you can move away from the base and snipe into it. But this only works for some bases and only if the flow of enemies is not enough that the mass will stumble over your position. This also works if they attacking from a Sunderer, as you can cruise out to flanking positions and snipe the Sunerer and troops moving from it.

But yeah, switching class is often the best option. That or re-deploy or even if it's really bad log out and try back later. I just tried to play right after the Amerish Alert ended and everyone jumped on Indar to Zerg. I tried TR, NC, and VS Infiltrators. It was massive Zerg rushes EVERYWHERE. Best I could do was tag along for caps (lame) in massive zergs of my faction. Worst I could do was get shot at, cloak and run for cover, and then get ripped apart by masses of randoms stumbling into me from the zerg rush.
  8. bebbly

The fact that dont be infiltrator is the best answer is ****e. It only shows how lacking this class is. I only switch to heavy or max if i need to deal with tanks or air which sucks cos i want to play as infil but I am pretty much forced to switch at times.

Its kinda like people giving infil the advice to use a fury flash. thats not infil then , may as well pull a tank or plane.

To answer the question. yeah setting up mine traps in doorwats/stairs/close to point.
    Radar then dont cloak intil you see a blip. Smg: Cloak wait for them to look for you and turn their back. Snipe:set up at distance onlooking the point./entryway.
  9. Khangor

In small bases I run around cloaking with SMG, placing mines and (started this morning :D) spawning a Wraith/Fury Flash if applicable to bring death to the rebels and cultists :)
  10. Souleater

To answer the OP's question about smaller bases, I'd say picking off stragglers, weakening enemies and causing confusion are your contributions.
  11. Skeith

1)find a cliff
    2)grab your bolt action
    3)snipe

that's pretty much everything you have to do if you want to be CONSTANTLY effective with the infiltrator

if you want to CQC with the infiltrator you can try to grab an smg,on low populated bases,you can sometime get some kills and hack a couple of terminals

otherwise you are going to have a bad time.
  12. m44v

I switch to engineer, why you ask?
  13. Syphers

It depends on how you want to play really, either you want to go lay some mines and retreat to some good covers with a snipe or you hit and run with a SMG, picking the best hidding spots to strike unexpectedly and confuse your opponents by outsmarting and retreating to places that they wouldnt expect. It doesn't always work well with that shabby cloak though because it's way too visible unless that you're far away. A light assault with a silencer can do a better job most of the time by accessing better hidding spots, throwing c4 into groups and the longer range of the carbines.
  14. Rift23

Alternatively, you can dart an area, cloak then spot enemies so others know what's coming and (hopefully) won't run into an ambush (again, hopefully). Got emp nades and they're kind of fun but tricky to use. I hit myself and my team more often than the enemy when I first started out. But they don't have an indicator and they blow up by proxy like mines.
  15. Ztiller

The best you can do as an infiltrator during the "Indoors" battle is to disrupt Heavy Assaults with rocket launchers, enemy snipers and Engineers at MANA turrets. Use your cloak to move around quickly and take out key targets that are difficult for your allies to kill, but still can cause a lot of damage.

During the assault on base, when your allies are still outside pushing towards the base, you are best tool is the Hacking tool. Neutralize, or if possible, turn enemy turrets agaisnt the back of their own armor. Engineers at AV-MANA turrets and Lockon HAs are key objectives. Especially Phoenix HAs.

Causing disruption is your key objective. Prevent the enemy from fighting back effectively.

During the main battle itself, when the combat is Close quarter and everyone have a short life expectancy, try to cause disruption by nuking with AP-mines, or flanking the enemy. However, in these circumstances i usually swap to my MAX, since it is not a time when the infiltrator excels. Hit and run is ineffective and difficult.
  16. Rhyl

Also don't let anyone tell you using an SMG isn't as effective as a sniper rifle. Both are equally effective but very different playstyles. Yesterday I had a 22 kill streak my Sirius.
  17. Dragonblood

Auto-Sniper+cover or SMG+sensor darts