What defines a good outfit?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Turiel =RL=, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Ronin Oni

lmfao

useless. Meaningless. IRL military tactics and vidya games have very little in common beyond (shoot them better than they shoot you) ANy strategies can generally be conceived by anyone with some game familiarity and 2 brain cells to rub together for a spark. (I have military experience. It's useless. The only thing they teach you now anyways is guard duty which explains his apparent spawn camp zerg strategy I suppose)

If OL is an ******* (sphincter), ditch that POS like a bad habit or a ****** (whiny and dog like) girlfriend.

Don't be a schmuck and stick around getting abused by some ****head (poopoo head) who thinks he's gods gift to gaming.

And zerging is a bad outfit. It might "win bases" but that's ultimately meangingless. It's boring, and this is a game. Don't do boring things during your fun time, that makes no goddamn sense.

Zergers are bads and they should feel bad.

The only game mechanic to blame is that they get any experience. They shouldn't get any since they didn't bloody do anything.
    • Up x 3
  2. AxiomInsanity87

Airsoft experience would probably help more in fps as i literally strafe and shoot and stuff when i go lol.

Or is that fps experience helps with airsoft?? I think it's a bit of both lol.
  3. Pat22

True facts.

In my experience, people with a military background tend to try and bring that background into the game way too hard and fail to realize that it just doesn't work most of the time. It prevents them from adapting to the game.
  4. AxiomInsanity87

Arma 3 is the only place where that might even count.

That game is freaky as hell when you get right into it.
  5. Ronin Oni

Pacing in that game drives me NUTS.

Having to hike through hills for an hour while on patrol in IRL training is one thing.

Hiking through hills for 30-60 minutes in a goddamn video game feels absolutely absurd.

I feel like most people who play it are people who can't but desperately want to be in the service, or maybe people discharged who long for the good ol days or something.

I admire their commitment to simulation, and think they do a good job (and it could be useful and likely better than much of the sim software crap we had in the Army) but man... it doesn't make for a good game IMO. (then again, I think realistic driving sims are bad for the same reason. I play games to do the unbelievable)
    • Up x 1
  6. Ronin Oni

They really don't work, and requires significant training and drilling for a reason.

Leading in games is MUCH different, and involves mostly just somewhat guiding fights a bit, and deciding on general objectives.

Micromanaging in this game is a surefire way to make sure everyone fails.
  7. Turiel =RL=

It's definitely a debate about cause an effect. Even tough I have the feeling that guys on the microphone do not have as much impact than they think, I still prefer if they have an actual entertainment factor which is commonly known as "leadership qualities".

[IMG]

The guy in the front seat can give commands, but in the end, it's the other guys who do the rowing. Regardless how loud he screams, there is a physical limit, that none of the rowers can break. This is pretty much how it works in Planetside also. There are certain factors that cannot be overcome, regardless how much effort you put into it.

I strongly believe that the guys in the boat definitely win as a team, but it is not because that one dude shouted especially well. He should take pride in his guys and not in himself. On a scale of how much he contributed to the overall success, I wouldn't even give him 1/9th.
  8. AxiomInsanity87

Yeah it's great for the experience but it's so true to real life in every way that i would imagine is sht that it get's tiring. The real ex servicemen/servicemen i have played with there were very relaxed.

I've gone on patrols with guys in that game for about an hour and seen nothing, just pure rp but there were enemies on the map that we didn't see.

The bottom line for me with arma 3 is fk that, just do airsoft. I do however like the breaking point mod but that's almost a different game in some respects. My 3 mates who are/were in the army told me never to join as i'll get myself killed lol. I am one of the guys who does the right or heroic thing and goes home in a coffin apparently.

My friend is a sniper and told me all about how glorious nappies are ;)
    • Up x 1
  9. ModsFreeAreForTV

Outfits are absolutely useless unless you're some dumb **** who thinks Planetside 2 could possibly ever compare to something such as GRAW 2 in teamwork. Planetside is a damn crack hype shooter and once again to say it's NOT like that, you are merely lying to yourself wanting a game to be something that it's simply just not.

YOU DONT NEED "ORDERS" TO PLAY SCI-FI 2000v2000 CALL OF DUTY.
  10. AxiomInsanity87

I tell the guys in my outfit to use the term leader loosely and think of me more as admin than anything lol. I do call the shots with 2 other officers though but it is all very democratic.

Actually recently we realised i have been too democratic and we lost focus hehe.
  11. Pat22

There's a sweet spot between micro and macromanaging depending on the size of your force and how many leaders you have available.

If we take, for example, a single leader leading a whole platoon. Micromanaging in that situation is bad. You're devoting way too much force to the will of a single person and you're either going to be zerging or tunnel visionning an entire platoon on the one thing the PL wants dead.

Take that same platoon but add one leader for each squad. The platoon leader guides the fight, as you said, with waypoints and general objectives. The squad leads, however, can micromanage their individual squads and coordinate with the other squads, allowing the platoon to split and engage multiple objectives at once and not place too much or too little force on a single objective at any one time.

Obviously, though, it's a big grey area as it really depends on the quality of the squad leaders and their ability to coordinate with the other squads as well as their ability to lead the squad.
  12. AxiomInsanity87

You don't if you don't mind getting face rolled by the outfits that do aye.
  13. ModsFreeAreForTV

Too bad that never happens! Lmao, I join the 96+ Zerg and just farm kill the little 24 player resistance force. This game requires 0 tactical thinking at all, stop trying to make it seem like it does.
  14. Ronin Oni

"Nappies" as in naps, or wetwipes? (Both are wonderful when out in the field)

Airsoft/forest paintball is DEFINITELY a lot more fun than ARMA IMO.

Also, when there's no actual risk of death, people tend to do more courageous things they might be less apt to when they know live lead is flying around. I was pretty crazy myself though, and really got into training. I almost jumped off a 3 story roof to a 2 story building across a 15ft gap... stopped my self at the last instant when I reminded myself that it wasn't real, and that jumping did carry the very real risk of fractured legs (I did die in the excercise as a result of course, and no, this wasn't some setup/plan or anything, it was MOUT training with some SEAL cadets)

Anyways, point is, being physical makes much of the realistic bits more fun, that in games is anti-fun
    • Up x 1
  15. Ronin Oni

You could never log in again and nobody would even notice.

That's how much impact you have on the game.

Also, once again, you sure know how to MLG, just look at that SPM
  16. Pat22

I can't even begin to explain how bad this comparison is.

Let's put it in Planetside context.

You've got 8 rowers in that boat.

Three of them are trained and know what they're doing.

Two more are trying to imitate the first three but are rowing wrong.

One is rowing with his feet.

One is rowing backwards.

The last one decided he didn't care about the team and jumped ship to go row on a log 20m away.

Also there are mines and artillery shelling the river ahead.

Now the leader has to shout at the two who are rowing incorrectly to get them to do it properly, while also telling the guy rowing backwards to turn the hell around, goes to the guy rowing with his feet and sits him properly, then kicks the guy who is off on his log from the team and finds a replacement, all of that while shouting what direction to steer the boat to avoid exploding.

Take out the leader, and not only is the boat going half the speed it could, it also exploded.
  17. Ronin Oni

Meh, I'd rather have squad members that can act on their own and be a benefit that take zero micromanagement.

The troops aren't mindless Marines in Starcraft and have brains of their own.

Sure, some people might "need" the guidance, but those aren't people I want to play with, and so would never join said outfit. Also, naturally that outfit will not be as good and require more players for less effect.

Squad leads job is just to point out needs that need to be fulfilled. "we've only got 1 medic if someone can swap on next spawn"... to help people break tunnel vision when it happens.
  18. ModsFreeAreForTV

I'm pretty sure anyone could log in and have it never matter again. The funny part is you get mad when I tell the truth, that it's how the players control how this garbage game is played and they've chosen to play it like its a CoD zergfest. Sorry pal, that's just how it is.
  19. Pat22

I suppose it varies from outfit to outfit. If you have a squad of well-knit players who know what they're doing, I could definitely see the micromanaging being lessened, or even dropped entirely.
    Neither is wrong, both have their pros and cons. Plus there's seven nights in a week, you don't need to lead the same way every night.
  20. Ronin Oni

It's only garbage for you idiots.

Those of us who DON'T zerg and find actually fun fights have a great time, and enjoy far more certs for our time that we actually have fun doing.

You're only failing yourself
    • Up x 2