What Are Ya'll's Thoughts on the NS7-PDW?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Selrahc4040, Aug 2, 2014.

1. cruczi

I'm glad to hear it :)

Posting about the Blitz above got me thinking. I copy-pasted the top 100 leaderboard data into a spreadsheet for both the NS-7 and the Blitz, and compared the average HSR to the average accuracy. Check this out:

[IMG]

Not quite as striking a difference as on my NC alt, but it's there.
  2. Iridar51

Huh. Well that's weird. Can you be arsed to check out average KDR as well?
  3. cruczi

Sure:
    [IMG]
    :confused:

I'll try to do the guide thing tomorrow, feel free to PM me if I forget :)
  4. RobotNinja

It's okay. I would only recommend the NS7-PDW if you play multiple factions and are too cheap to buy faction specific SMGs for every character, otherwise the faction specific SMGs are far superior.
  5. Iridar51

Well huh, looks like NS-7 users die while hitting multiple headshots :D
    I vividly imagine an NS-7 user, wrapping himself around a MAX, doing contact shots with NS-7 at the MAX's head and screaming "Why won't you die?!?!?"
  6. cruczi

Haha. I think CQC TTK is where the KDR is. Whenever a weapon lets you down in a tight spot, you die; but when a weapon lets you down on midrange, you recharge your shields and keep fighting. To put it bluntly. Also, the average number of kills per user in the top 100 is almost twice as high for Blitz as for NS-7, that most likely plays a part.

Magazine size could also play a role here, the Blitz has 50x125 damage rounds, while the NS-7 has only 30. Most of the top 100 aren't good enough aimers to succeed with only 30 rounds... With 27% aim: 125 * 30 * 0.27 = 1012.5 damage, just barely enough to get the kill half the time.

Here are results for the top aimers among the top 500, cut off between accuracy grade A and lower:

[IMG]

The difference in accuracy and HSR remain, while the difference in KDR almost vanishes. It would seem Blitz is more forgiving of bad accuracy - how surprising!
    • Up x 1
  7. Iridar51

I get what you're saying, and you're right, though it's not quite as black and white. Today I was caught in a bad spot at range, and I lost with NS-7 against A-TROSS. That's expected, but I believe if I played better, I could've won that firefight. But there was no place to run, so I had to win or die.
  8. SeanFree

Ah the NS-7 PDW. Many hate it but with extended mags, 2x and soft point it's buttery. It makes up for DPS by being easy to headshot with, I have around 25% HSR (pretty good for me). I couldn't recommend it all the time but 10-20m fights can allow for some beastly strafing action and headshots.
  9. Lord_Avatar

I'd never ditch the SOAS-20 in favour of the NS-7.
  10. cruczi

Then you prefer damage and accuracy at range to damage, accuracy and mobility up close. SMG's and scout rifles have very different roles
    • Up x 1
  11. Lord_Avatar

Auto-scouts are Infiltrator exclusive and Infiltrators are on par with LAs when it comes to dictating their own terms of engagement. Sure, it's impossible to account for everything, but more often than not you can go with what you prefer, rather than being forced to adapt on the fly with sweat running down your back.
  12. lilleAllan

+ Great hipfire and 0.75x ADS move speed (like all SMG's)
    + Easy recoil
    + Decent bullet velocity for a SMG
    + Very good at 10-20 m.
    + Cool reload animation

- Low DPS
    - Low damage / clip

It's the most versatile SMG. I used it primarily on HA and inf. Also on LA a bit, but a lot of the time a carbine is better
    Use it with ext mags and SPA:.
  13. cruczi

The PDW has higher DPS up to about 25m, that's a range of engagement that you quite easily can also control. It's also the range where hipfiring with ALS is viable for torso shots, and where being able to dodge incoming fire is very important. SOAS forces you to ADS already at a couple of meters of distance, putting you a disadvantage in encounters where you're fired back at; you have lower damage and worse ability to compensate for the lower health pool by dodging.

Beyond that range, the SOAS starts to get an edge over the PDW due to its accuracy and 1 tier lesser damage falloff.

I'd add that infiltrators are excellent at escaping from close range engagements. You might fail at controlling the engagement range and find yourself disadvantaged in a straight up fight, but you have the option to disappear behind a corner and crouch to activate the deep cloak state. Also, failing the control the engagement range tends to have far lesser consequences when you're carrying an SMG rather than a scout rifle.
  14. Nakar

Auto scouts also don't have anywhere near as nice a hipfire thing going on, something the PDW can safely say it excels at (as any SMG does). It's pretty decent as a run-and-gun gun because of the SMG hipfire, fast ADS movespeed, and average handling (it handles like a controllable LMG or a mediocre Carbine, basically; there are worse options for handling by far).
    • Up x 1
  15. reydelchicken

NS-7 is a decent gun.

I've learned (from vonic) that running with your sight of choice, extended mags, and soft point can make this a pretty good gun. This also applies to the mkv, cyclone (best smg), eridani and armstice.

Give it a try, works better than you'd expect. Especially on LA and infiltrator.
  16. Iridar51

Yep, and it should be quite a powerful advantage. I only wish my FPS wouldn't drop to a half whenever I encounter an enemy in close quarters. Or maybe I'm just getting old and it's my brain freezing up =\ But holy hell, 23 isn't THAT old, is it?!
    PS2 performance is just bad :(
  17. Nakar

I wouldn't probably use the PDW on non-LA/Inf if I were picking SMGs; LA/Inf pick their engagements, and if you can get the drop on somebody the PDW's DPS disadvantage is significantly lessened. Hipfire strafing at rooftop distances is also potentially viable, and 100% movespeed is even better than 75%. I'd use the first gens on most other classes, and I do use SMGs sometimes on Heavy Assault. When I'm doing HA SMG, though, I'm expecting a lot of close quarters fights, so I usually pull a faction first-gen. It might be a viable alternative to the Armistice in some circumstances though, but at that point it's probably better to just pull the MSW-R back out.
  18. DaveyJ

The main thing for us L2P players with low BRs is that you can get it for $2 for all characters in a bundle
    • Up x 2
  19. Moz

The NS7 is a great SMG for Infiltrators who like to stay a little further out. After 20m (i think) it is the hardest hitting SMG in the game.

There is very good Wrel video review of this weapon thats shows you exactly where it excels here:

I LOVE the NS7 when playing a squad support role as an Infil. Stick with your squad giving spotters etc, use the NAC rather than the hunter to stop you getting all excited and its a killing machine. You can almost play it like a light assault with out the jump pack.

Loadout:

NS7, extended mag, compensator, 2x reflex (i think) and ofc SPA.

NS7 is a great great gun if you understand how it works. Trouble is....... for LA...... It doesnt! :(
  20. HlllBllly

i love the NS7 pdw, but i only use it on my infil. i would take any other carbine over the ns7pdw on my LA