What about the OTHER burst weapons? (recent fix)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stigma, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Stigma

I don't want to make a super long post about this, but I'm sure everybody knows that they went ahead and improved burst-variants of rifles a whole lot this last big patch - and this was probably a needed change. Now they are significantly more accurate and controllable than their full-auto counterparts, which seems like a reasonable balance-point.

However, I can't fail to notice that they applied this fix very selectively. I mean, not only are these burst weapons way better now but they even changed how burst weapons work as a concept now (much lower first-bullet recoil most notably). Shouldn't this be applied to burst-weapons across the board?

I know that the TRAP certainly could use some help in that regard - because nobody is using that thing for the same reasons that nobody used burst-weapons before. the SABR also didn't get touched AFAIK, and several others I'm sure that I'm just forgetting.

Can we expect to see the rewamp to burst touch on these other weapons too?

-Stigma
  2. Necron

SABR was already totally BOSS before the patch. You should have used it and then tried the pre-buff Gauss Rifle Burst. The GRB was so inferior to the SABR I put it away and never looked at it again. The SABR was and is a head-shot machine.
    • Up x 3
  3. eldarfalcongravtank

now i want a new NS burstfire assault rifle, like an Space-AN94
  4. Iridar51

By SABR you mean that one okay burst weapon that would have been infinitely better if it had full auto mode? Yeah, I thought so...
    • Up x 1
  5. Stigma

I've used both the SABR and the burst-rifles before the patch.

The SABR was only good inside the category of burst-weapons (less bad than most of the other burst alternatives that is) before the change. It's still falls short compared to pretty much all the full-auto options - unless maybe if you insist on using your medic as a ghetto sniper.

This is besides the point though. I just think they should give the same treatment to burst-weapons across the board so they have some shared general characteristics as a weapons class. I'm not saying that all of them needed the same degree of help - but leaving these other burst weapons unchanged now that the main AR and carbines got such a great overhaul just really badly accentuates how poor these remaining burst options are now. It's just not consistent.

-Stigma
  6. Pfundi

I want my Gauss Compact S 3-round Burst mode to be buffed. Not that its weak or something, I just want it! :D
  7. Stigma

Although it is perhaps a different topic I think that a logical next step to this burst-rewamp would be to give some love to burst-mode on automatic weapons too.

Currently I don't think that anyone in their right minds ever EVER use burst-mode on weapons that can do full auto - and for good reason. I think it would be reasonable to buff the burst-mode on auto-capable weapons by about half as much as true burst weapons got. That would give you a reason to want to use burst function situationally for longer ranges - and having burst capability on a weapon would finally be a meaningful feature that adds to the weapons character rather than something you just ignore.

-Stigma
  8. TheKhopesh

I auraxed the GRB before the buff, and let me tell you, it was hands down the worst AR in the entire game by a landslide!
    (I say this as someone who has literally every AR -excluding the VS/TR directive AR's- in the game, across all factions.)
  9. Thardus

The buff is for dedicated burst weapons, which the Carbine-S weapons aren't. It makes sense that it should have just as much kick when fired burst mode as in full auto. The burst variants are presumably tuned to fire best in short bursts.
  10. eldarfalcongravtank

they should also buff the burstfire mode of automatic weapons in the same way -- i am not talking about simple burstfire but when you switch the firemode of (usually S-variant) carbines/assault rifles.
  11. Ronin Oni

Not to mention changing fire mode doesn't change weapon stats, just how many rounds it fires with a trigger squeeze.

There's probably coding issues with adding that.

Would make them actually nice, but as I noted I think it's a coding problem
  12. ATRA_Wampa-One

The SABR right now is still good (burst weapons were buffed to be much more like the SABR), but I agree that the TRAP needs to be looked at, but probably not in the way most people think.

It's magazine size needs to be increased by a substantial amount (like doubled) and I think it would be in a much better place because right now you're spending a ton of time reloading instead of firing on people which sucks.