What About Battle Rifles?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Den

I had made use of the AMR-66 for some time as my sole long range option back when it was first introduced, but despite making use of it for quite a lot of time and getting many shots landed, I have a woefully low amount of kills with it. I can get a shot or two in at a long distance but it is rare to get the five total shots needed in before they start moving evasively and/or get to cover.

On the other hand, when I end up using it in close range, it is relatively effective, closer than 30m is very likely where I got most of my kills, but I'd still take a carbine over it. It isn't good enough as a long range weapon that I'd give up the more concentrated rapid fire of a carbine that would server me better in the more common close range encounters and even effective suppression and hopefully lucky concentrations of bursts to earn a kill at long range.

Then I decided to pick up a revolver... didn't see the need for an inferior weapon taking up my primary slot when these stupid powerful hand-cannons outperform a full length rifle for my desired purpose of getting kills at long range. The AMR-66 makes Infiltrators scoff and continue lining up a one shot kill on me as I try to "suppress" them. However I put one shot from a Blackhand on them and they will scurry away.
    • Up x 3
  2. user101

AMR-66 has way to much bullet drop for distance and that is what a battle rifle is for. It also dose not do the damage it once did and the bullet is way to slow. Its like tossing a rock.
    • Up x 1
  3. GaveYouHermes

Faction flavor is a must-have for them. AMR with two-round burst (and maybe slightly lower damage per round than currently) while the Eidolon could get a slight buff in damage, and the Warden be given a hefty buff to damage, and increase all of their velocity. I'm more than okay with hipfire being nearly nonexistent with BRs if it means their long range capabilities are buffed. And as people said, increase their accuracy. They should still require skill to use, but it should not just be a handicap to use them when every class that has access to them has weapons that vastly outperform them in distance due to ROF, being burst or full auto, and larger mags and ammo pools.

Also, please give them to LA, having the ability to gain vantage points would be an incredibly fun playstyle for what is so far just a CQC class with close quarters AV capabilities, and I believe jump packs perfectly complement the BR playstyle.
    • Up x 1
  4. WalrusJones

Of something similar to the jackhammer: A burstfire you need to rechamber.
    • Up x 2
  5. IgnatiusCrumwald

The initial ADS accuracy,and velocity are abyssmal making them almost useless.
    It should at least be on par with NS sidearms.
  6. Joexer

I really, really like this idea It balances itself and those that want semi auto can just stay in semi mode
  7. Cuze

Been a while since I played, but from my experience, when I used the battle rifle, it felt like it didn't excel at anything, while having almost every drawback imaginable. It was ineffective at long range due to having to slow your rate of fire considerable and left you as sniper bait while the 5-8 shots to kill gave anyone out in the open too much time to get to cover, in medium ranges it is much easier to kill with a burst or two from an LMG, and it does not have a good hip fire accuracy or magazine size for CQC.

Between the low rate of fire, small magazine size, and poor hipfire, it felt like there was nothing it particularly excelled at, especially when compared to weapons like the Gauss Saw which fills the same role, but didn't have nearly as many penalties attached.

I certainly enjoyed using it because it felt unique compared to all of the automatics that every class has, it just never felt like it was the best option for what I was doing.
    • Up x 1
  8. Scr1nRusher

Besides alot of general buffs you could do to the BR's you can also throw in some other changes.

1) Give it the Underbarrel attachments.

2) Give it to the Infiltrator.

Now 1 & 2 are things you should do after you buff the BR so its good.
    • Up x 1
  9. WalrusJones

Given most of the recoil control on battle rifles needs to be manual anyhow, underbarrel attachments would fit a battle rifle like a glove.
    • Up x 3
  10. toxs

The battle rifles have no niche on the battlefield. In medium to long range it is out performed by the close range ohk snipers. From short to medium it is out performed by all weapons. Very few players can utilize this weapon to level of being effective as the other weapons in the game.

The ideal mechanic for the battle rifles is to be fully automatic with a very slow rate of fire. Also a reduced COF/Recoil. It would be similar to the "auto-snipers" in counter strike. The high damage and slow ROF will make a precision weapon. These features will still bring the battle rifle on to the battlefield more often.
    • Up x 1
  11. RykerStruvian

battle rifles don't make any sense. with the mechanics in the game with how recoil works, burst firing full auto weapons lands more shots at a distance with less effort.
    • Up x 4
  12. No_STG

I have been using the Eidolon quite bit, my issue is follow up shots at a distance seem to be more difficult for me than they should be, I've been having more success running with a 1x or 2x sight and using it at close range not too differently how I would use a slug loaded shotgun.
    • Up x 1
  13. Goretzu

That's essentially why I went back to other weapons in my loadouts, it is not that BRs are bad (since the last set of buffs, anyway), just they are harder to use to usually get sub-par results with than other options, with a lot less flexiblity in other situations.

It sounds strange, but they do have a surprising bit of functionality if you run them with a laser and use them as a sort of "long range" (for hip-fire) hip-fire shotgun...... however again realistically you'd be better off running pretty much any other CQB option instead.
    • Up x 1
  14. placeholder22

They're fun, but too weak to be more than a toy (cough archer cough)

I'd kick Max Damage up a tier to 333 (instead of 250) and call it a day. Now they're not quite as terrible at ranges below 100m, and not strictly worse than semi auto snipers.
  15. nehylen

I own the Revenant (and never fired it), which was reason i auraxed all those guns in the first place.

First of all i'll state for some odd reason, the Revenant does NOT get a grip, and DBG has answered that it's a feature: https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/PS-1234

Then, I believe it should be telling if i say i liked all 3 scout rifles better than i did the Eidolon itself, and was actually grateful i went down this path to discover that 1. i could love playing infiltrator (not fan of either sniper or smg inf), 2. i loved semi auto scout rifles.
    For indication i played it mostly with 2x/comp/grip/HVA, at first, and finished it with 1x/flash supp/LS/_.

The low max damage range (8m)combined with higher TTK and no cloak was definitely an issue, even if i actually did good with it (39% acc /29% HSR if i recall correctly, API down right now). I've always felt that it lacked dps somewhat, and yet can't deal with its own maximum RoF while maintaining good enough accuracy.

So i can see myself picking it once in a while to deal with some specific situations, and preferably as a heavy. Otherwise, meh...
  16. Leftconsin

I am also of a mind that you just increase minimum damage to 334 and you've solved it.
    • Up x 3
  17. Sunflash

Here's the thing about Battle Rifles.

Why would I use one? Most of the guns do end up having a semi-auto(The LMG Flare has a most delicious 3x bust as well for crying out loud) mode, which means if I want to engage at either close OR longer ranges, it just takes a flick of a button and I'm shooting semi-auto or otherwise.

Yes, I could get higher damage at range with probably better results, but I'd be giving up so much in exchange that it is completely never worth it.

(P.S. Please not be a jerk to scout rifle users, and put an actual scout rifle as the reward for their directive track instead of a weapon infil can't use. Kthx.)
  18. JohnGalt36

I love the Warden. The HVA is unusable on it, though. It would be nice if the recoil penalty was a reduced a little, or the velocity/damage was higher to make it worth the recoil. I would also like to be able to attach the under-barrel grenade launchers to it. Having a smoke grenade Warden with usable HVA would be my favorite to take with me in my tank.

I pretty much exclusively use it as an engineer when I'm tanking. Usually, once your tank gets obliterated and you somehow survive, you're pretty far away from the action. The Warden helps in that role, I feel. I also love using it to ADAD counter-snipe infils. feelsgoodbro.jpg

I can't talk about any of the other battle rifles, as Warden is the only one I use.
  19. JohnGalt36

Noooooooooo
    • Up x 3
  20. Serin

I'm working on the Eidolon at the moment chasing directives. I use it with 1x dot scope, high velocity ammo, laser sight. Currently 926/1160 3/4 for auraxium scout rifles and enjoying it.

After auraxiuming the scout rifles (Artemis, Nyx, Vandal) it feels a bit weak (shielded heavy's feel extra horrible) though more forgiving with the extra ammo per clip. The faster rate of fire was a bit weird to get comfortable with but the extra velocity was nice.