[BUG] Weird explainable "bullet time" effect

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HyperMatrix, Dec 25, 2012.

1. HyperMatrix

Edit: Darn auto-corrected title. Un-Explainable effect. Not explainable.

Once in a while when fighting certain players, something very odd happens. As soon as we start shooting each other, the game slows down. Like the game clock will just slow down to about 25% speed intermittently for those few seconds while we're shooting. It's not low fps. I'm getting 100+ fps in these situations, and even during the slowdown the frames generated per second are still maintained. But what is happening in terms of my movement and aiming slows down to 25% speed.

I've had this happen against both NC and TR players. I will keep a track of what classes the people I'm fighting with are. This last one was Heavy Assault. But I don't remember what class the previous ones were.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?
  2. Ripshaft

Looks at thread.
    Looks at name.
    Problem solved.
    • Up x 4
  3. HyperMatrix

I don't get it.
  4. Ripshaft

*raises eyebrow* have you not seen the matrix? Time slowing down when bullets fly... nothing? =/

I know this is probably extremely annoying and a serious problem to you, but you have to see the irony in that.

On a serious note, I am unaware as to what would cause that problem specifically. I have a really strong feeling that I should know what it is, but I'm coming up with nothing atm. Best of luck with solving this one. If you're looking for things to try, I'd be sure to update all major drivers/firmware (video card, motherboard, cpu), adjusting settings from high to medium to low and seeing if there's any change under any of these conditions. Also that's one amazing machine.

I mean your computer is obviously relatively recent, and the drivers distributed with the computer are generally much older than the most recent drivers (even though the hardware might be new, the firmware version may be years old, especially for motherboards, also new hardware often has rapid critical updates to solve weird stuff like this, which you'd need to install), I'd definitely start there if you're tired of waiting for a response.
    • Up x 1
  5. Aghar30

its a joke brah
  6. D0n

Do you happen to see code too?

Jokes aside, you are simply experiencing frame skipping followed by frame loss.
  7. Maruun

Sounds like the concussion grenade from HA, pretty nasty thing
  8. Asfo

I guess you take too much of this ? :p
  9. HyperMatrix

There is no frame skipping though. Even during the slowdown I'm in full control of the character, but everything is moving slower. So it's not that I'm skipping frames which would still allow me to move and aim at normal speed. And it's not frame loss because as I mentioned, I constantly maintain 100+ fps during the entire ordeal. That's why I'm so dumbfounded by it.
  10. HyperMatrix

Theoretically possible, I suppose. I've never seen one in action so I can't say that's not it. However in those scenario's there had been no grenade indicator, no bang or flash of any kind, and often times I got the jump on them so they had no way to throw a grenade.

My personal belief is that it's an issue with some weapon or attachment or skill/ability causing it. I just wish others who've experienced this (if anyone else has experienced it) could share any details they may have.
  11. Killuminati C

Had something similar happen today on the crown. Pretty sure it was an HA concussion grenade in my case though. Was pretty similar to what you're describing. I don't think you see many people certing into that build which would explain why it seems so unusual.
  12. Asfo

Maybe your mousepad is too soft ? So when you're in the heat of action, pressing on both mouse buttons, you find yourself "slowing down" your mouse's speed ?

To prevent this, I'm using a mouse that has ceramic feet (Nova X600) without mousepad.
    (will change for a Revoltec Fightmouse Elite, which is pretty much the same with one more ceramic pad and a 4-directional wheel. It's named Ozone Smog in some other country)
  13. wowie

Sometimes (rarely) it happens to me and when it does it feels like I'm trying to walk through molasses... When it's a concussion grenade, you'll know it. Those things are nasty, what with their distorted drunk-vision they give you. Very disorienting... Luckily I survived the only one that's ever been thrown at me. I have a system that performs horribly, but only when playing this game, btw, so you're not the only one that's seen this... atm, though, it's too rare of a bug for me to pinpoint the cause.

As for the movie reference, here it is for those who don't know what all the jokes are about:

The matrix pretty much made "bullet time" a mainstream special effect.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/TheMatrix?from=Main.TheMatrix

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BulletTime
  14. HyperMatrix

Definitely not my mouse. Using a RAT9 on a Steelseries hard precision gaming mat. And as I mentioned it not only affects my aim, but also movement (keyboard). And it doesn't happen often at all. Maybe once every several hours.
  15. Vaksai

It's not a bug, it's a concussion grenade.
  16. HyperMatrix

It certainly might be. I'll keep a closer eye on it. But at least 1 person above says they've experienced the same thing and it's different from a concussion grenade for them. So I'm not ready to close the books on this mystery just yet! :)
  17. wowie

Maybe it IS a concussion grenade, and the effect just doesn't render most of the time for some reason...

After all, it DOES only happen in areas where fighting is going on.

18. HyperMatrix

Thanks for the video. If as you say the effect is not triggering visually/audibly, then this could be what is happening. If that's the case, then either way we have a bug we're dealing with because I don't hear it or see the visual effects as demonstrated in the video. Everything looks and sounds normal.
  19. HyperMatrix

Just caught it happening again! This time I wasn't even being shot at. I was firing my Orion into some poor NC's back. He didn't even know I was there. As I was firing at him, the "bullet time" effect happened and ended as soon as he died and I stopped shooting him.
  20. Littleman

It's a concussion grenade, though I'm partially inclined to believe there's a bug triggering it at random, as I was getting concussioned repeatedly in a few fights maybe two weeks ago when everyone is still moving around just fine. I can't imagine most people would use concussion out in the open over a frag anyway.