Weather Effects?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by KripTed, Jan 29, 2013.

1. KripTed

ya, it would be set as an option for negative people like you to turn it off. thanks captain obvious.

i would turn it off as well if i was still running a Pentium 4
  2. CorporationUSA

I'll give you a minute to think about why someone might turn off such effects, even if they have a capable PC.
  3. KripTed

can't think of any, cause why would someone want to turn off cool visuals? that could possibly enhance the game? ........other then running crap hardware.

you're making it sound like the rain would be non stop 24/7. the visual would only last a certain amount of time. hearing some thunder, see some rain, maybe even a little bit of lightning now and then in the sky. for a small duration.

if they can do it to an old game called Tanarus, that was made in 98, im sure they can do it to Planetside 2.
  4. CorporationUSA

Because it gives me an advantage over you, or rather, because I don't want someone to have an advantage over me. The same reason I turn off shadows and particles. And to give me a stable 60 fps in bigger battles. The eye candy isn't worth dropping below 60.
  5. KripTed

like i said, crap hardware, who turns that stuff off? people who can run it, use it. you just made my point, thank you.

having an advantage? how so? we are all seeing the same thing, it would be an equal advantage or disadvantage. now please stop with the nonsense.

games running great with everything on High/Ultra with a i7 @ 2.50GHZ, 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 970M. yes, its a laptop :O!!
  6. CorporationUSA

Are you slow or something? If I have the weather effects off, and you have them on, they we aren't seeing the same things. You are seeing weather effects, and I'm not. Think about it for a bit before you reply ffs.
  7. KripTed

^ not if they made it like this, yet again, you are wrong. if you took me serious when i said "turn it off for negative people like you" and couldn't sense the sarcasm, then i think you're the one who's "slow or something"
  8. Rockit

There was weather in Planetside 1 and people would turn off the dust storms effects on Indar and well they gained an advantage big time lol. This is one concern the devs have had since everyone asked for it 2.5 years ago. How to do it without affecting performance while making it meaningful and not a toggle-able option for players?
  9. KripTed

^ i think he said it best.
  10. CorporationUSA

Let's see some comparison images or something to prove you're not talk out of your ***. I'd be going against my better judgement if I took anything you say on faith.
  11. KripTed

images? of what? im not a graphics designer, or a coder, i can't provide images for something that does not yet exist. if you're speaking about weather effects in Planetside 2. otherwise please elaborate.
  12. CorporationUSA

You quoted someone talking about volumetric weather. What does that mean in the context of Planetside 2? I do a google image search for it and all I see are fog effects, but I know that can't be what you're referring to. I'm not a coder either, so saying "it'll be ok cuz volumetric weather" is meaningless to me.
  13. KripTed

yah, he stated that they could potentially make it for people who are running on low, not as graphical, as in just a 2D overlay. why would you do a google image search? no weather effects exist in Planetside 2, that's like trying to search for bigfoot lol. all im saying is, there is ways they could implement it, for low end users and etc.
  14. CorporationUSA

Is there no example of a game that does this? I was trying to see an example of volumetric weather, not in Planetside but in any game, that is more than just fog. How do you make a 2D overlay for fog that doesn't look like crap?
  15. KripTed

that's why it would look like crap, cause it would be 2D, and would only show during a low setting. for people who have lower end PC's....as for an example, im not sure..........there are problem some out there.
  16. Pikachu

Fog is kinda 2D already. It's just a solid color layer over the screen with a mask based on distance from camera to the world. Some fancy stuff is done to make it masked by altitude a and shadows as well. The volumetric stuff in question is clouds.
  17. OldMaster80

Just curious, it came up in recent discussions more or less than the resources system? You know, that system that is still unfinished after years.
  18. WTSherman

Yeah, if they do add weather they would have to make sure you can't turn it off.

Like say you're flying, and you go into a cloud. But the guy chasing you turned clouds off, so he can see just fine. That would kind of suck.

It would be like being able to turn off smoke grenades.
    • Up x 2
  19. Nregroepis

What ya talkin' about? They already added weather in the game a long time ago:
  20. SamReye

I just want weather to affect gameplay, like sandstorms severely disrupting visibility, or rain that makes vehicles lose traction and infantry slower when outside or something

That'd be cool :D
    • Up x 1