Weather Effects?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by KripTed, Jan 29, 2013.

1. KripTed

is there any? idk maybe im just logging in at times that there isn't. but they should def implement weather effects, such as rain, snow. etc. all im seeing is night...and day. but then i guess rain or snow would create more lag? idk, would be cool to see.
  2. Duvenel

Quick question what is your graphics quality set to? I think I heard someone saying high and ultra give ambient background effects(leaves falling etc)
  3. nitram1000

i see those random leaves and whisps of sand on ultra.
    • Up x 3
  4. KripTed

its only set to high, i can't get ultra...but regardless they should implement weather effects for high settings, and not for low/medium. it would just be nice to look at a dif setting then just night and day. have rain, make it set off at random times. or snow. or sand storms. this is suppose to be a futuristic war, correct? so by the looks of it, im guessing in the future, we won't have rain? or snow?....hmm...
  5. KripTed

guess this is still not an idea? too bad.
  6. Hicksimus

They are too busy making camos ugly and using suspiciously misleading wording to bother with making nice things please come back when they get bought out by a real developer.
    • Up x 3
  7. FateJH

There's cold fog on Esamir. Hossin has swamp fog.
  8. Elrobochanco

They teased it with some screenshots of the system from H1Z1, but apparently never did much beyond that. Amazing promise, no delivery.

http://imgur.com/a/4lzfK
    • Up x 4
  9. Famif

If your system cannot handle ultra, stop asking for weather effect. there already are weather effects in ultra. fog, sandstorms, leaves falling, particals of glowy bugs, plant smoke, wind gusts and awesome shadow effects in fog.
  10. KripTed

did you not see when i wrote that message? i think it was in 2013, my **** has upgraded since then. there's weather effects in ultra? so you're saying there's thunderstorms and rain? and snow storms? im not talking about some leaves flying around here, or some wind blowing, or do you not comprehend what im saying? im talking about legitimate rain falling from the sky, or snow.

http://imgur.com/a/4lzfK

^ practically what they are promoting here. do you get it now? and by the way, too bad those pictures aren't real.
    • Up x 3
  11. ATRA_Wampa-One

So Planetside 2?
  12. Mezinov

They aren't necessarily fake, the problem is people don't realize the manpower required to implement it. H1Z1, Landmark, EQ;Next and PS2 all use the same engine - so a module (eg. weather) made for one can be brought into another - but it isn't as simple as connecting legos. Each game has its own unique code that makes it "it".

It is one thing to bring a module over and turn it on to see how it works, its an entirely different thing to bring it over and make it work for 90% of the playerbase NOT running a dev box.

That said, meaningful weather has been on the Devs "to do" list since development started. Its just hard working it in along everything else, and they really do change priority based on what the community says. So expect the resource revamp and other features to come first.
    • Up x 1
  13. KripTed

ya, trust me, i know, i have played plenty of SOE games. its exactly why i stopped paying for a membership.
  14. Xasapis

I'm sure one system having heavy rain with some fog on it and some other having it all disabled will not unbalance things at all.

The main issue is that, unlike a PvE game, there needs to be equality of visual hindrances on all graphics quality levels.
  15. KripTed

well either way, it would be nice. it would also make it feel a little more realistic, in a sense.
  16. nukularZ

PS2 isn't really graphically demanding. They have room to add weather if it's mainly hitting the GPU. And some real ultra textures too while they're at it.

And visual hindrances
    - Ultra = gets nicer and more realistic volumetric weather
    - Low = gets a flat 2D overlay in front of everything that makes it just as difficult to see

I would like to see it to. Put off releasing a new continent in place of a weather system that could at least change up the feel of the current 4 once in a while. Maybe even give faction specific weather advantages for more faction diversity.

But, I don't expect to ever see anything like it.
    • Up x 1
  17. Mianera

This just sounds like another thing that will kill framerate in this game.

No... please no more crap that leaks memory, I don't care how fancy it's supposed to be.
    • Up x 1
  18. KripTed

well, if they did their jobs right in implementing it, it shouldn't create more lag/framerate drops. also if your pc is actually good, shouldn't phase it.

^ like he said.....i swear, if they implement the weather. i will re-subscribe my account.....(and when i reduce my amount owing) lol
  19. Famif

Weren't those player made? As for weather effects, I mean, if they took out PhysX because of issues... And they have a lot of bugs and gameplay issues still to work out, I don't think weather effects is at the top of their list. If they were going to be working on expanding visual content, they would remove the eye-sore that is: The Hossin Construction Sites, and replace them with real bases that are more than just a catwalk and two big buildings. Damn I hate those bases.... No rooftop/LA paths except a big open square.

Hey, if they had weather effects in the game, such as snow and rain, they would have to make it work on all systems across all graphic settings with no one able to disable them to have a graphical advantage to those of us who are practically blind. I can tell you this much: Play this game long enough and it will happen. They have a ton of plans for the future of this game, they simply were not expecting the bug issues the game has been plagued with because of everyone's diverse system hardware.
  20. KripTed

i played this game since beta, i haven't seen much of a change, other then some better frame rate and some tacky UI, and some half decent continent, and an aircraft that is useless. and some new money grabbing concept called a nano cycler. only thing that's actually funny and has gotten my attention was the fortune cookie type motto's, they put above the "become a member". but that also shows how much they need people to "become a member"

i have played other SOE games, that were prob created or took over by the same people. after awhile they either shut their games down, or don't listen to the community.

E.G: Tanarus, The Matrix Online, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Bullet Run, Infantry, Cosmic Rift, need i keep going?
    • Up x 2