[Suggestion] Weapons an Classes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpartanZero, Nov 29, 2014.

1. SpartanZero

I realize there has been a large debate over which weapons for classes. Just as well what options are available to which Classes, for reasons of making each class have some uniqueness as well justification for playing.

I think some of those limitations are just that, too constraining for personal play style and in many ways unrealistic.

Weapons per Class

Pistols, universal
    Shotguns, universal
    Carbines, Recon/Engi/Medic/LA
    Assault Rifles, Engi/Medics/HA.
    Battle Rifles, Engi/Medic/HA
    Sniper Rifles, Recon
    SMGs, universal to all but Heavy Assault
    LMGs Heavy Assault

Sidegrades per Weapon

Now personally, I would much rather a full gun build system instead of the sidegrade system. (similar to Blacklight Retributions weapons build approach/unlock system) So barring that option, we should be at least able to have the freedom to modify any weapon with any of the available sidegrades in game. Obviously within reason (ie no 12x scope for shotguns, no foregrip for pistols,etc...)
    Every weapon has a series of stats that already suit individual players tastes, styles or situational needs. sidegrades just allow them to tweak those weapons or better suit the needed roles for the situations.

EXTENDED ammo, should be an AMMUNITION option, not a rail attachment! Period, placing as a rail attachment is absurd and insulting. Just as well the Extended ammunition sidegrade should be optional for every AR/Carbine/SMG/LMG

Class Utilities

One of the Class Utilities that I feel hinder the freedom of personal playstyle or situational needs. Grenades, what makes them so unique or special that only specific classes get certain options? None of them are game breaking, nor do I see them as class breaking.

Grenades should be universal between the majority of classes.

Revive Grenades, ok I get it, they can be Medic exclusive. But the rest of them, seem like ridiculous limitations to try an make the class kits "special"

Healing, Flash, Smoke, AV, Decoy, Sticky nades. Should be available to any class. Just adjust the cert cost for the ones that are outside of the current class availability. Engineer wants an AV/Flash/Decoy grenade, well it's double the cert buy than either the HA/Recon/LA version. An so on.

If anything, I feel we need more Utility options spread out more evenly between all the classes, to compliment the needs for players to build more personal individuality in their play style, instead of simple class driven uniqueness.

Just some thoughts an ideas. Still enjoying the current game format, just making some noted suggestions to ways on adding more diversity to the class/weapon system available.
    • Up x 1
  2. I play by many names

We did the whole shotguns being universal thing in beta. It was awful (extremely cheesy) having cloaked infiltrators running around OHKing people.
    • Up x 1
  3. Matt879

I'm a bit confused, is the "weapons per class" list what you want it to be or what you think it currently is? I can definitely see some issues (shotguns on infiltrators has been tried before, it didn't work) if it's what you want it to be, and it's not correct if it's what you think it's currently like. The universal grenades idea seems interesting enough though, and I'd like to see how that would work out on the live servers.
  4. Gibstormv2

HA and ARs?? That would not be fun for anyone but HA
    • Up x 1
  5. Flamberge

[IMG]

But seriously, I main engi, and I would like the option of an assault rifle, but I also realize that assaulting is not what engis are supposed to do. Maybe HAs get ARs, and engis, which are a support class, get the LMG, as it is a support weapon.
  6. KnightCole

Well lol, were soon to get Knives that OHK....and stalker cloak will be really damn annoying.
  7. SpartanZero

Yea no shotguns on recons, I remember those days in beta. It was suppose to be for all but recon.
  8. BobSanders123

I wouldn't mind shotguns for infiltrators. If you're not blind, their cloak is really obvious.
  9. SpartanZero

AR's are a variable select fire combat rifle, has little to do with with "assaulting" as a forward operator. It's simply a standard carry option for soldiers. While I would agree LMGs being usable for Engi's since it's more of a support style weapon, given the fact Engi's already have a Mana Turret, it would be a little overkill. Since they would use the turret as a "fortification" dump ammo an use the LMG as the pop out to engage targets, jumping on the MANA turret if they're magazine goes empty to continue the fight, until they get a chance to reload.

Shotgun's on infiltrators was horrible instant cheese for CQC under various conditions, especially night fighting. Recon, Sensor Shield, maxed cloak with shotgun+NV, instagib targets with headshots at close range. Even without the NV an simply limited to iron sights 2 quick shots = dead target recloak / repeat.
  10. ATRA_Wampa-One

Not much changes except that HA gets SMG's and shotguns removed from them (Jackhammer would be the exception) as those two weapon classes are the most powerful guns in CQC where HA is already the strongest defensive class outside of MAX in CQC.

Engineers would gain access to Assault rifles since it would give them a ranged option that isn't the battle rifle.
  11. Pikachu

Why use anyrhing other than AR?
    • Up x 1
  12. Grumblefern

I do think it's funny that neither of the "Assault" classes have "Assault" rifles.

However you can't just up an give HAs ARs without giving them to LA. That's insult and injury right there. Really this would require a lot of rebalancing and isn't likely to happen. I don't agree with their choices of class:weapon pairings but it's probably set in stone by now.
  13. Saool

TR heavies with the T1 Cycler...

Well at least the Nerf Orion threads would dry up.