We need to have a Talk about infantry AV ranges.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Scr1nRusher

To point out something funny about the games balance.

If infantry die to something they can't deal with over range that "farms them" it gets nerfed

If Pilots die to something over range "that stop them from farming" it gets nerfed or becomes a "deterrent"

If Tankers complain about Something over range "Farming them" they get ignored for the most part.

if 1/3rd of the game is ground vehicles....
  2. Hatesphere

when everything is working correctly, yes.
    that sounds almost like the reasoning some people use to try and nerf AA range. in reality tanks are much faster then infantry and can close the gap (although admittedly slower then an ESF and with less escape options) I can agree though that no aim assisted AV should reach out past infantry render range, and that includes things like lancers and AV turrets guided missiles. But as it is now, I see no real balance issues with someone lobbing a dumb fire at you from 450m if you are willing to stand still and take it.
  3. Alarox

When has anyone complained about that? Ever?
    • Up x 2
  4. Hatesphere

Its in response to EliteEskimo saying that infantry should have no AV capability past 300m at all.
  5. Scr1nRusher

no one! lol

But knowing forumside they might eventually :(.
  6. Scr1nRusher

300 meters should be the LIMIT of range for infantry AV.

Infantry renders at 300 meters afterall.

and in PS2..... if you can't see it over distance.... you can't hurt it.
  7. Flashtirade

But no one has been talking about dumbfire rockets (whose effective range is much shorter than both vehicle and infantry render ranges). We're mostly talking about the AV turret, which is still brokenly strong.
    • Up x 1
  8. Hatesphere

I understand that concept, but i just dont think it should apply to the standard dumb fire rocket launcher. having the dumbfire rocket just evaporate at 300m is silly. even with lock on range nerfs I would still want the rocket to go into a dumb fire state after hitting 300m and arc to the ground.
  9. Alarox

Being able to hit a tank at >300m with a dumbfire is so rare that it isn't even a point of discussion. I say the same thing, infantry AV shouldn't exceed render distance. But if you can hit me with a dumbfire from >300m then go for it. I don't think it has ever happened to me.

The only other exception I have to the 300m range limit is that AV lock-ons travel up to 400m, but I think that's fine. I have to be within 300m to be locked.
    • Up x 1
  10. Divinorium

Make it like Phoenix when you leave the cam. Drop like a brick.

There's NO reason to ANY Infantry AV weapon to out range their renderer distance. Ever.

And before someone says "but the prowler/vanguard/magrider/lighning will destroy my sunderer!" Your side should have a couple of Vanguard/prowler/magrider/lighning to defend your sunderer.

The defeat of your armor column should mean something for your attack.
    • Up x 2
  11. Scr1nRusher

I never said anything about dumbfires lol

those are fine, If someone can hit you with a dumbfire from that far out(300 meters) thats impressive.
  12. Scr1nRusher

Exactly!
  13. Phyr

You're complaining that vehicles getting focused is a problem. o_O
  14. Scr1nRusher

no I'm not.
  15. Phyr

At 450m a handful of people can maybe kill 1 tank. If the armor decides not to move up into render range or moves up alone, that's a failure of the tanker, not the AV.
    • Up x 1
  16. Scr1nRusher

I don't think your understanding the point of this thread.... at all.
  17. Phyr

I understand perfectly, and I disagree with it.
  18. EliteEskimo

Aircraft travels so fast that they can closer the render range gap or escape infantry in an instant. This is not the case with tanks as you're well aware. I've never had a single tanker complain about getting hit by dumbfires from over 300 meters away, and I would be more inclined to congratulate said individual for that kind of crack shot.