We need to have a Talk about infantry AV ranges.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Scr1nRusher

I never mentioned dumbfires.....(because they are FINE).

I mentioned Lock ons, Engie AV turrets and max AV weapons
  2. Alarox

No, it has a render distance of 450m. It rarely actually renders at this distance, but maximum distance under ideal circumstances is 450m.
  3. Scr1nRusher

Agreed.
  4. Scr1nRusher

Really?

I assumed that it renders at 300(from experience), and has a max shoot range of 450 meters.
  5. Fenrisk

It's not a derail when your complaining about not being able to target infantry who are hitting your tank. Phoenix heavy's do exactly the same as infantry does outside of render distance. They hit armour from complete safety but they have the ADVANTAGE of doing it within 300m instead of being forced outside of 300m. ;)

The Phoenix is the very definition of that issue like it or not but with the advantage of doing it at closer ranges. Your faction bias is showing. Either you make it so ALL infantry can be seen at shot at when targeting armour or you remove the option completely.
  6. Alarox

Only if the turret renders. Under ideal circumstances it will render at 450m. Rarely does that happen once you get into any serious battle.

As an aside, fighting against anyone smarter than a doorknob who uses AV turrets is hell even if they do render. They'll sit there watching you off the turret until the moment you look away, then jump on and fire another shot. If you shoot back they hop off and place another. A threat you can't get rid of that is more accurate than a lot of tanks at that range.
  7. Hatesphere

oh i completely agree, the issues right now are all caused by the extreme long range AV like that. Personaly I think g2g lock ons should be ballanced at about 250-300m do lower damage to tanks, but also have slightly more reliable lock on mechanics as a trade off.

As a VS main even I can see that things like the lancer and vortex need to be toned down, its just to easy to hit tanks at range with.
  8. Scr1nRusher

The Game engine dictates the range of engagements.

You would think SOE would have balanced the Infantry AV ranges factoring that in.
  9. Captain Kid

A tank can damage (and kill me) while I can not get a lock on because the tank is to far away. So it's not true what you're saying..
  10. Scr1nRusher

If the Tank can kill you that means your in Render distance.
  11. Captain Kid

Then explain to me what just happened in-game. I could not get a lock on on a magrider because he was to far away. But he was still able to shell me and hurt me. In fact that was the only reason he was there to shell our troops.
  12. Scr1nRusher

He had vehicle stealth maxed.

You were in infantry render distance of 300.

He could shoot at you, and it took you longer to lock on due tot vehicle stealth.
  13. Udnknome

AV turret range was nerfed a long time ago. The turret is also labeled as a vehicle and can be q spotted from beyond infantry render range. This usually exposes the engineer to being killed by a sniper from beyond infantry render range. At least this is how it's supposed to work.

To your defense: I have noticed while driving a tank that there are some people that are somehow able to shoot beyond render range and somehow have their turret not render. I'm unsure if it's some kind of bug exploit or hack or what, but when it happens it's extremely frustrating. It reminds me of how it was before the AV turret nerf.

-- I don't think it's fair to call for a nerf when what is frustrating you is a bug/exploit/hack or something else that takes the rules of the game and turns them on their head. Might be better to just ask for the bug to be fixed.
    • Up x 1
  14. Alarox

I have no idea what happened because I wasn't there. However, I do know for a fact that infantry render up to about 300m, you can't hit what doesn't render, and AV lock-ons will lock up to 300m. Although, I think the Annihilator has slightly more range than the ES ones.
    • Up x 1
  15. Captain Kid

I don't understand. I could lock on to the tank fine until he moved further away. Then when I could not lock any more he started shelling (and hurting me)

How does stealth work anyway? You can't even get the locking (orange) reticule working or does it take longer to get a green lock reticule?
  16. Alarox

Did he use IR Smoke? It prevents locks for a few seconds.
    • Up x 1
  17. Hatesphere

stealth increses the time it takes to get a lock. this coupled with latency could have allowed him to "probe" your render distance. then "yo yo" in fire a shot while you are rendering, then retreat back past 300m preventing the lock.

or that, he could have popped smoke a few seconds before you tried to lock him.
    • Up x 1
  18. Divinorium

You shoot him, while locked and the missile went up?
    If so that's IR smoke.

It blocks the lock-on in the tank who used it for a couple of secs.
    • Up x 1
  19. EliteEskimo

Quote me in context where I said "tanks suck" you hooligan.

That being said you shouldn't have to go up against an invisible and invincible entity in a slow moving vehicle. There is no logical reason for infantry to have ground AV capabilities over 300 meters away because tanks aren't even a threat to them outside of 300 meters.
    • Up x 4
  20. Captain Kid

I couldn't get the orange reticule to appear let alone get a green (lock) reticule.
    I assume stealth does not prevent the orange (acquiring lock) reticule to work but only delays the time you get the lock.?

Could have been smoke but I didn't see any, tank was pretty far away really.

So infantry render range is 300 meters (in theory, I had enemies pop in at 10 meters) and AV lock on is also 300 meters?