[Suggestion] We need a Default middle dot on the screen so players aren't disadvantaged recursion crosshair

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by G.O.A.T, Jan 19, 2022.

1. G.O.A.T

I don't understand how this game doesn't have this already...COD and Halo have it lol.

It's just a simple dot in the middle of the screen, it shouldn't require recursion or a monitor app, it should be in the game by default.

I know it's just a simple dot in the screen but it makes a difference....I find it ridiculous that some players have this advantage over others when that shouldn't be the case, we should all have the dot in the middle of the screen(even when we get flashbanged like recursion) .

We will still have the regular cross hairs to see our accuracy/recoil etc but with a dot in the middle.

We shouldn't need a third party download for this, it's ridiculous.
    • Up x 6
  2. JustGotSuspended

Some people like it, some people don't. All they should do is advertise recursion a little better, because the tracker does make the game a lot more fun, especially with all the funny voicepacks you can run.

Sure add one you can toggle in game as default if that makes you feel better, but really why do that when there's already a decent app that does it already?
  3. BlackFox

+ the recursion dot is actually marks the middle of scopes (unlike the default ones)
  4. Demigan

Yes, at no point should a 4rd party program be able to give a solid improvement. Anyone picking up the game should never be at a disadvantage out of the gate because others have 3rd party programs that help, however little. The defaults for things like controls and graphics should be some of the best.
    • Up x 2
  5. JibbaJabba

They should just put recursion at a link on the launcher page. Promote it.

Everyone should be running it. No reason not to. The crosshairs are nice (a lot of monitors come with them now), but the voicepacks can really make the game a lot more fun. (tip: use checkbox to turn off taunts)
    • Up x 1
  6. G.O.A.T

Why in the hell should people have to download a third party link for a simple dot? It's not asking for much, it's a simple dot that is standard in many games these days(COD/Halo).

Sorry it makes ZERO sense to put obstacles like that to the playerbase for a simple dot.

It doesn't have to be by default although IMO it should be, but at the very least it should be available.

It's amazing how a simple dot request gets pushback in Forumside....You people really fear change lol.
    • Up x 1
  7. G.O.A.T

Why should players have to download a third party app for a simple dot?

Voice packs seem cool but I don't want it, I don't want recursion....I have played this game naturally for 9 years....I don't want a third party apps and many other players don't either.

Well they promote youtube videos, a recursion promotion on the launcher wouldn't hurt for some people who would want it but havent been exposed to it.
  8. JustGotSuspended

Bruh draw a dot on your screen then

Like lol there's already a solution yet you willingly choose to avoid it, for what? If you want your reticle to always be the same color, you can adjust that in settings, if you want a dot constantly at the center of your screen for whatever reason just download the app that already exists and was created by/with help of the planetside 2 dev team!
    • Up x 2
  9. JibbaJabba

A real answer:
    Because it costs money to add features to games and the current list of wanted features is more than the developers can complete in the lifetime of the game with it's current and predicted budget. A feature like this would be prioritized very low and then prioritized lower again since there is an available (albeit 3rd party) solution to the problem.

THAT is why, if you want it, you'll have to come up with a 3rd party solution such as:
    Many 3rd party crosshair overlays.
    Monitors that include a crosshair option.
    A sharpie marker
    A piece of marking tape
    Recursion stat tracker

Then don't flip it on. It's not mandatory.
    Why? Don't answer but really ask yourself what the hangup is.

You've played the game for years but won't take 5min to set this up? At some point you came to realize you're missing out AND that you've chosen on purpose to not implement a solution. Wow, what a contradiction. So in steps cognitive dissonance to sort things out and Voila': "I don't WANT it. something something natural. Others think the same I'm sure of it, Dev should do this thing I know they won't do"

See answer above then. You will not get what you want. Few of us will.

Promoting it would be a good thing for the game I think. While some like yourself may not be interested I think it adds a lot to the game and many players would enjoy it.
    • Up x 2
  10. Demigan

Or, or, how about we just let the devs make it a default setting you can turn on and off?

This isnt a discussion of "find ways to deface your PC or avoid adding a simple change". This is a thread that asks for one of the simplest of improvements you can get so people dont have to turn to third party programs or defacing monitors with drawings.
  11. JustGotSuspended

Of all the things the game is needed I'm pretty sure a built in dot overlay is the last thing on the list of needed features most people would like the devs to spend resources on.

What's the point of adding it anyways when pretty much everyone runs the stat tracker and can just use it there?

Seriously what a waste of time, there's already 50 different solutions to a problem you guys invented!

Picture the recursion stat tracker as that setting you can turn on/off if you want. It was built by/with devs to improve the game, but it's something players willingly choose to install and run.
  12. RabidIBM

I agree with this. Since some people wouldn't like it make it a checkable box which is checked by default.
  13. Botji

I would also like it to be a option even though I finally caved and got recursion myself after several years.

The issue I see with the devs adding this very simple function is that it would come with problems that are not so very simple to fix.

It shows that some weapons/sights are actually not accurate, they would all need to be fixed.
    It gives people a false sense of "If I aim this dot on something I will hit it, even the game tells me so." but weapon bloom and CoF has other things in mind.
    3rd person vehicles will usually not actually aim for the dot, depending on vehicle and even which way it is turned in relation to the direction you are aiming.
    3rd person aircraft does not aim for the dot.

Probably a few other things I cant think of atm but with a game option for a center dot all the above would become things that people will assume it should do because its the center of the screen, ofc you aim there... and suddenly people think thats a problem that the devs should fix next.