WDS Preseason 2 Changes and Feedback

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Malorn, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Nocturnal7x

The game has been bad bad bad since WDS started. Nothing but giant zergs steamrolling, its like pre lattice, giant zergs steamrolling and doing all they can to avoid other zergs.

What is the point of WDS? Its not hossin, its not cont locking, why is it being added to the game? Just get rid of it.
  2. DCTH

After the fail that alerts are (there are way too often), WDS tops it. WDS does not represent playerskill in the slightes ... it just shows which faction can get more people into one hex and which faction has the endurance to stay until the base actually flipped. Enjoyable is something else.

Which brings me to the next point: Normal gameplay isn't rewarded at all. You want points? Then take an ESF and look where a base is about to flip/defended.
    If i would play normal, i would get maybe 10% of my current WDS-points (which would mean about 80 in total). Because driving a tank or flying a scythe, you normally do not stand this close to any base.

But why bother anyway? For the 800 point reward i got 3xUrban Camo ... which i already have as unlimited version. So, uh thanks i guess?

Might play again after WDS ended, but this is not a fun game at the moment.
  3. Blueink

Best post of the conversation, the WDS is just garbage helping reinforce what is the worst aspect of the game mindless zergs. Not even going to bother with the game while this crap is on it is just not fun.
  4. Breakthecross

Simple reason why two opposing zergs wont fight is....... because it yields nothing towards personal contributions points so why bother. A simple fix would be to reward kills so.. 1-point for a solider , 3-points for a vehicle/max and 5 points for artillery. That way many people would reconsider going to capture a small base worth 4 points than to go and fight this incoming zerg where they can get more points in the same amount of time. How fun is it really to capture an empty base anyway....:mad: geedah.
  5. JonboyX

I don't really understand the point scoring change.

As a small squad, rolling from small tower fight to large tower fight, to base, etc. - we fought and captured about 5-6 bases in the course of an hour. Not massive zerg fights, but each was at least a 24x24. At each we were picking up somewhere between 3 and 7 WDS points.

Before logging, we then dropped in on a biolab defence which was clearly coming to a close. We were there, maybe ten minutes (?), and every other minute (or so it felt) we were getting 20 point ticks.

Seemed to be that ten minutes in the Biolab where it was an easy close was worth more than the whole preceding hour where we had to fight (and die) to take bases.

Now I know the devs appreciate their scoring system isn't perfect; but it doesn't seem any better than it was to me. I guess the one redeeming feature is that there are at least some fights to be had.
  6. BigCrow

BTW... I just rage-grinded to 2k points... and got a TIER 3 prize - freakin' 3x one hour +50% boost. It's exact same reward, that I got for 200 wds points.

What the actual hell?
    • Up x 2
  7. Nitrobudyn

Well, i got 36 single use camos so far (urban forest & digital) and i would exchange all of them for 18 one hour boosts.
  8. BigCrow

What do you mean "single use" o_O

And I'm not arguing about boosts, they are good, but for 200 WDS, not 2k points...
  9. Nitrobudyn

Just when we all thought single use camos are gone for good, they had a big comeback as WDS rewards. They are connected to a specific class/weapon/vehicle on specific laudout number you equiped them with. If you take them off they're gone forever (global camo change dosn't remove them).

And i'm not saying the boosts are good for Tier 3 reward, but i really don't need those camos since i have reusable camos and no xp boosts at all.
  10. Pacster

I wished I would get a couple of urban forest....all I got are boosters and those ugly pink digital ones.
  11. ScrapyardBob

Issue with the scoring system:
    • Allowing attackers to capture a point, then retake it results in full "defense" WDS points being handed out to the defenders. This is horribly exploitable and should be changed so that you only get the full "defense" points if the bar ticked over into the opposition controlled portion before being reverted back to fully owned by the defenders.
    • Capturing a nearly empty base should award nearly zero WDS points for the capture (it should still award points every N minutes for holding it). There needs to be some metric developed that decides whether a base was fought over and is worth some or all the WDS capture points.
    • Winning an alert should award a large amount of WDS points to the various factions, which would align the WDS with the alert system. Maybe the pot for a 2-hour alert should be 20k WDS points, to be divided up among the three factions.
  12. Pacster

You can trigger alerts. The alerts apear after some time and usually depend upon a situation on one or all continents where all have an equal start(i.e. all having about 33% of the alert target locations). This can be abused. The more important alerts become the more likely it is that the overpopped faction will win it(cause more players will take part)...hence giving the overpopped faction even more of an advantage. So 20k is absolute bogus....
  13. Goretzu

I've pretty much given up playing for the 2000 weekly WDS points and "rewards".

With the amount of downtime in EU primetime that now consistantly occurs (5 of the last 10 weeknights) AND Miller's constant crashing I only managed to get 560-odd points in the whole of last week.

Which makes the whole thing pretty pointless. :(
  14. ScrapyardBob

Well, this weekend, the EU servers are supposedly being given double-XP to make up for that mess.
  15. Goretzu

Yeah, that certainly helps, but the whole shoddy state of things errodes my general will to play.

WDS probably goes on too long to start with (3 weeks [one week for each Warp Gate] is likely enough whenever they have a "proper" WDS).
  16. Wecomeinpeace

This "WDS" is not only the most lazy way possible of adding an overarching goal, it is actually hurting the game and driving players away.
    People flock to easy-defend 32 point bases, ignoring everything else and making the game pretty much unplayable for those that do not want to farm WDS points.

Oh, and how do you farm WDS points? Why, by standing afk in a biolab of course! I made my 2k by hanging around afk in a biolab for an evening, watching movies and wiggling the mouse now and then.
    This stuff is not thought through in the slightest, what are you guys doing at work when you say you are "thinking" about how the WDS could work? Is that the company code for going out for a smoke?

The concept of WDS was stupid enough as it is (a scoreboard in a game known for not having a scoreboard, YAY) and nobody asked for that when they wanted meaningful objectives, but with this implementation it even actively hurts the game. And that should have been obvious from the start.

But at this point i'm not really surprised anymore, each log-in after some weeks or months provides more and more incentives to stay the hell away from this trainwreck.
    • Up x 1
  17. Pootisman

Just read WDS is over ... WAT. There were only pre-seasons afaik, when was/is the real season? Where are the cool rewards? I thought the rewards were so ... modest because its only pre-season.
  18. ScrapyardBob

Well, first they have to work out all the scoring bugs and easily exploited situations... and deal with people ghost-capping after-hours and...
  19. Pootisman

So this was all just beta testing? The real WDS hasnt started?

BTW, has any1 goten the rewards for all 3 weeks? I only got a reward for 1st week. Even that reward wasnt correct, because VS won, but i got the reward on my NC char.
  20. Xellas

The current scoring mechanism for WDS was broken badly. It basically punished attackers heavily for every failed push, forcing attackers to refuse to attack unless they had an advantage large enough to guarantee success on the first attempt. This meant almost all people crammed themselves into megazergs and murdered anything resembling balanced gameplay, which I'm sure is the opposite of what people wanted. It also encouraged zergs to immediately dissipate if they were significantly challenged, reducing even further fun battles.

A simple solution is a tweak to the defender gains. Have defenders only gain a WDS bonus if the base was at least 25% captured, that way attackers don't have to fear attempting an attack.
    • Up x 2