WDS and the problem behind the reward system

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Masterofm, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Masterofm

Now I'm one of those people who think "don't look a gift horse in the mouth," but I'm here to say why I think the WDS system as it stands is a little problematic. Why? Because people play this game for different reasons. Some can't think of the idea that just because it's free means that people will not get upset that it didn't work out for them. However I think that isn't actually true.

For instance some people play with goals in mind. They play for "the ding" so to speak. They play with the idea in mind that the next tier of rewards will be better then the last. Those players will then set a goal to gain the better reward because 2000 must give something better then 200. It's disappointing when players take all that time only to realize that they could actually get in their minds a worse reward from 2000 then 200.

What I would suggest to SOE is take the feedback of what people find more rewarding over other things and build on that. For instance from what I've seen people would rather have three 1 hour 50% xp boosts then 5 single shot cammos. The next time rewards are parsed out it could then be targeted to give out rewards that scale better with what players would feel are more rewarding.

The reason why right now WDS is bad for players is that it can motivate players, but then de-motivate them when they realize they set a goal to get 2k WDS points only to realize that they could get something worse then the 200 WDS reward.

TL;DR Have the tiered rewards scale better so players feel like the 2k WDS is worth it. SOE doesn't need to get better rewards then what they get now, but to make it so that players feel that a Tier 3 will be better then a Tier 2. Some players play for the reward so it's good to make them think that they are getting a better reward. Otherwise it can make more goal/reward oriented players "give up" so to speak.
    • Up x 1