Wanted to try the game again after a 2 year hiatus, but can't ;(

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Absoluth, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Absoluth

So, i've been away for a long time. Stopped playing when my friends moved to another game, and although i still preferred PS2, some game changes back then bummed me out, as they made 1 of the styles of gameplay i enjoyed most (deep territory infiltration with a small-ish group to cut off and massacre key enemy waypoints from behind) extremely complicated. Turned the game into a more blunt tug-of-war, which has it's charms, but limited. So i took a break.

Time passes, and i started missing the old action. Wanted to see how the game was now, with the server merges and the new PS4 horde (do they have their own server or is PC+PS4 in the same pile?). So i DL and log in with my old account. What i find is that the game became unplayable. Even though i have the exact same rig, my fps went from the old 10~25 in massive battles and 25~35 in smaller encounters in medium settings (which wasn't great, but playable), to 5~10 on a barely populated port on lowest settings possible, and i even brought the field of view to barely anything, to the point that even if my fps were to be 60, it would still suck as you barely see anything, not to mention blocky.Figured "Maybe it's because it's been a while. Maybe...if i take a stroll around...it'll eventually fix on it's own". So i made the mistake of entering some random guy's aircraft for a quick trip. It was a terrible experience.

I gotta ask: were there severe changes to the game's graphic's engine? Do i need to change a specific setting or config to work like it used to? Like i said, i own the exact same PC. It's not great, but it allowed me to play fine. How come it's this bad now?

Since people are gonna ask, here are my specs:

Intel i3 Second gen (forgot the number, and a bit lazy to check right now :p)
    Geforce GT 240
    4GB RAM DDR3

PS: before anybody points out, i know ideally i should have a minimum of 8GB ram, a more recent GFX board and at least the latest gen i5, but as i've mentioned a couple of times, my rig worked fine for this game.
  2. Sebastien

Since launch, performance has improved.Though I guess you stopped playing when the Lattice was implemented.
    I'm honestly surprised you were able to run this game at any point with your build.
    Best advice I can give is to fiddle with the .ini
    • Up x 1
  3. CorporationUSA

4. Nalothisal

ow..good sir I can give you my GTX 430, it's not that much of an improvement, but it should help.
  5. TheFlamingLemon

Google for good ways to edit your ini files, there are some great guides on Reddit
  6. Zombo

i guess the 240 is a real dealbreaker there...
  7. Eternaloptimist

Probably a dumb contribution on my part but have you updated your game card driver and checked your firewall settings to allow access? Both these things temporarily interrupted my ability to log in when the specs changed
  8. Astealoth

They retooled the game for a different minimum spec than launch. The game is better optimized now, but it requires at minimum 6gb RAM and a GTX 260 or better. Your GT 240 and 4gb are not going to cut it any more. You're running 7 year old hardware, it is time to upgrade.

Something like a GT 730 (the 902mhz edition of GT 730 is about 1.5x as powerful as the minimum spec card GTX 260, and over 4x as powerful as your GT 240, not to mention DX12 support instead of DX10 and running on 1/5th the power draw) would be a massive boon.
    • Up x 1
  9. Steza

Also be sure to check your operating system if it's 32 bit it is no longer supported but if it's 64 then it's upgrade time for you. :D
    • Up x 1
  10. Alan Kalane

Minimum system requirements got increased
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...o-planetside-2-minimum-specifications.208952/

The cheapest thing you can do to improve your game to a playable state is to buy more RAM. 2 GB more RAM is minimum, though I highly recommend buying 4 GB instead for extra space for applications running in the background. Nowadays RAM is cheap as dirt so don't worry, you can afford it (4 GB is about the price of an average PC game in my country).

Your graphics card is meh, but it should be enough to run on low settings.
  11. Stigma

Usually this game is decidedly CPU-limited as its graphics run fairly fast even on a mediocre GPU - but that graphics card you have is not only fairly old but also very low-end to the point where you could probably find people giving away stronger cards nowadays, or at least picking up a used card that is many times more powerful for very cheap.

That's probably what's primarily holding you back currently (although at least 2 GB more RAM is something you should have as you can pick that up on ebay or similar for a pittance)

If you want a system that's reasonably fit to play modern games you should probably consider a full upgrade honestly - but assuming that we are talking about how to make the game run as fast as possible on your current system I'd recommend the following:

Since your GPU is probbly the limiting factor:
    - Play at a low resolution (or use the quality scaler, which effectively makes the game internally render at a lower resolution before upscaling it)
    - Reduce graphical quality to a minimum (you can probably keep textures at medium though as texture quality is performance "free" as long as it fits into the cards memory, and medium textues aren't very large)

You can use the ingame FPS-counter to get a better idea at that point of what's limiting you given your current settings. If it shows [CPU] then you are CPU-bound and the other way around if it says [GPU].

-Stigma
  12. Absoluth

I'll check that out. Although, wouldn't tempering with game files end up in a ban?

Everything is always up-do-date on my PC, and firewall is not an issue. I can log in and "play". The issue isn't being able to start the game, or lag for that matter, but playing it. 5~10 fps (on nearly empty areas) is simply gamebreaking.

I never really bothered to upgrade because, like i've mentioned, i was able to play just fine, and other games since. Most on medium to high settings. Was never an issue. Didn't realize a game would change so much (in a way, it's great).

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion. I was already thinking of doubling my RAM to 8GB and trading my GFX for a better board. Guess i got another reason to speed up this process :p

Thanks everyone else for the tips as well. Hopefully i'll see you all in battle soon.
  13. Nabil1998

Just out of curiosity, what games have you been playing on medium to high besides Planetside 2 on a GT 240 o_O ?
  14. Absoluth

Mostly 'War Thunder' (really enjoy WW2 dogfighting games). Also played that XCOM remake, as i loved the original, and a bit of civilization 5. Granted these aren't exactly the most graphical demanding games around, but then again, neither was PS2 when i played it.
  15. Nabil1998

Same actually. Before I made the plunge for a 780 Ti and subsequent upgrades, my old laptop was a GT 520M. I ran the game at ~40-55 fps on medium. After Operation Break the Game about 2 years ago, my performance crashed and it cannot run even on lowest settings anymore (Doesn't matter since I got married to my 980 Ti :D) but they messed with something...