Walker Needs A Buff

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by 000AmidimA000, Oct 6, 2015.

1. 000AmidimA000

It is truly one of the worst G2A weapons ever. The nose gun of an ESF outputs more damage and at almost the same range as well, so the walker will always lose in a fight because the walker can't hit anything if it's moving.
  2. Cynicismic

But when there are four of them mounted on a flying super-fortress with more health than a Main Battle Tank, you can kind of expect them to be a little poorer than standard ESF nose guns...
    • Up x 2
  3. AxiomInsanity87

Walker seems fine to me.

Free kills or enemy pilots ****.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ransurian

The Ranger isn't much better, if at all.
    • Up x 1
  5. Drzewo

I've seen sky terrorised by dual walker sundie, walker is not that bad. Especially in comparison to ranger...
    • Up x 1
  6. Stormsinger

Actually, with a projectile velocity of 1000m/s, the Walker is one of the easiest to use AA guns in the game (For comparison, the Lancer has 900m/s velocity at it's fastest (3-charges)) . The damage may not be all that excellent, but the sustained output and sheer volume of spare ammo you can cert into means that you never really have to stop firing (compared to most other guns) - and the thing is serviceable versus approaching infantry who have the high ground, allowing you to punish heavies peeking to line up a rocket, among other things.

I highly suggest learning to lead your shots. I have never seen a galaxy pilot that can muster enough skwhale agility to escape a sustained stream of fire, Liberators with afterburners occasionally can, and if an ESF is changing direction rapidly enough to evade fire, he can't sustain damage on you by any means. Put even a single walker on a deploy shield Sunderer, and you can fight off 2-3 average ESF's at once. (This is less true if they are working as a team with hornets, but that's fairly rare, in my experience.)

The Walker doesn't hit minimum damage range until 400 meters, the Scythe default nosegun (Saron laser cannon) doesn't hit minimum damage range until 300 meters.

If you are comparing which wins in a DPS race - what vehicle are you having issues using the Walker on? Sunderers are extremely durable compared to an ESF, as are MBTs in general. I've seen Harassers with walkers actively hunting ESFs, as they can actually keep up long enough to sustain a fair amount of fire on them. In a game with generally weak vehicle-based AA, the Walker is one of the better choices, as the gun traversal angle / fire rate allows for use against targets other then air.[/QUOTE]
    • Up x 3
  7. Mongychops

Which Walker are you complaining about?

It's available on the:

• Sunderer
    • Harasser
    • MBT
    • Liberator
    • Galaxy
    The only one here that really takes a lot of damage from ESF nose guns is the Harasser (especially without composite). The others are multi-player vehicles, and have decent EHP against ESF nose guns, the Walker also has 1000 m/s velocity compared to the 750-800 of ESF nose guns.
    When it comes to ground AA you can easily have multiple weapons shooting at one target (eg 2x Walker sunderer), you can also have one player repair the AA vehicle while the other shoots the Walker, you can with a little teamwork get a pair of maxed out proximity repair sunderers with 2x Walkers and have a mobile self-repairing battery of 4x Walkers (I usually put at least 1 Walker on most support Sunderers).
    When it comes to air Walkers, you shouldn't really expect it to always beat nose guns, but there is plenty you can do. With the Galaxy if I think I'll be fighting A2A, I'll take 2x Walkers, 1x Drake, and 1x Bulldog. That way you can chase with the top "2" Walker and "4 or 5" side Drake firing, and retreat with potentially the "2 & 3" Walkers, and the "4/5" Drake firing simultaneously. You can also land and repair, with someone manning the top "2" Walker.
    With the Liberator, you must bear in mind that you can't expect a single Walker to beat a competent ESF, since a good A2A loadout ESF is supposed to counter it. In this case a Walker can act as a deterrent to make the enemy keep their distance and play cautiously, and still take out not very competent pilots who get too close. Also, if the pilot is decent with the TB, you're running a Shredder and a Walker, and have an AB to get close, you can have a stronger A2A performance than simply measuring the Walker against the ESF nose-gun.
  8. CNR4806

The Skyguard is better at close-range anti-ground work. The Walker's lack of depression angle is just too depressing to use against ground targets in most scenarios.

It is not bad against infantry when the situation presents itself, but other than that it's one of the more specialized weapons in the game.

But other than that I agree with you. The Walker is one of the better AA weapons in the game.
    • Up x 1
  9. Stormsinger

I can agree with that, for the most part. I was excluding the Skyguard (as it's a primary weapon, I was referring to secondaries for the most part.) Additionally, I tend to pull Armor or Deploy shield Walker / Basalisk Sunderers for AA work when on defense, as all the extra durability allows me to harass air away, score the occasional kill, and shrug off all but the most concentrated ESF fire. Dalton / Tankbuster libs are still enough to tear through my shields / armor, but the additional exposure time (Along with the fact that I swap to the basalisk vs point-blank TB libs) means that they still typically go down after I do.

All that, and it's just over half the price of a Skyguard. You do give up mobility for the additional durability, but immunity from C4 with deploy shields goes a long way, and the basalisk is enough to chew through approaching infantry, once they draw close enough. Also, I tend to use my Walker on the rear of my sunderer, then park against a hill with my front end elevated, placing my walker at a downward angle pointed towards where enemy infantry are approaching from. The angle is enough to fire at air, armor, or infantry in most cases.
  10. Lureh

I would actually say that the air walker needs a serious nerf.
    such as:
    • increased CoF
    • big CoF bloom
    • lower damage per magazine
    • longer reload
    • less bullet velocity
    • [higher dps at close range]
    In my opinion the (air) walker shouldn't be the sniping anti esf gun it is right now.
    On a decent galaxy or lib it can go esf hunting with ease (provided you see the esf).
    It should be more like a self defence gun, against targets that come to close, to be able to push them away or kill them if they don't.

On the lib and galaxy it also raises the question of where to attack those air tanks from, since the walker can heavily damage any esf that comes into the line of sight. If you are not in line of sight of the walker, then you are in line of sight of another walker or a shredder or even a tankbuster

But really, whos idea was it to have a fully automatic anti air sniper rifle with the capacity of an lmg and then put that on the most heavily armored vehicles in the game (excluding the harrasser).

[note: I am completely biased since I am an esf pilot who doesn't like getting ripped apart infront of his warpgate by a walker galaxy that hovers 2-5km away next to an ammo pad.]
  11. SoljVS

QFT. Seriously love seeing those gals right at render range spamming walkers at me.
  12. Hammerlock

can we get this as a buff for our walker ?
    [IMG]
    • Up x 5
  13. Antillie

The Walker is probably the single best way to avoid getting C4'd in an MBT. Its also useful for driving off ESFs and can be used against ground targets if the driver knows how to work an angle. Get a few Walkers together and you can create a no fly zone pretty easily, Its fine as is.

Now the ranger seriously needs a projectile velocity buff and probably a modest increase in damage.
    • Up x 1
  14. Hatesphere

if you cant hit moving targets with a 1000m/s weapon you might be doing something wrong. it doesn't have the highest burst damage but it is a very good AA weapon. it can reach out to in incredible range with consistent damage. mount two of them on a sunder with good gunners, and its pretty much a no go zone for ESFs, and frightening for anything else.
  15. 000AmidimA000

Maybe I should rephrase my post. The walker is horrible on the harasser. Maybe just the harasser walker needs a buff.
  16. Cynicismic

No it doesn't.

The Harasser is the fastest and most mobile ground vehicle. It is small, and already can mount a selection of excellent guns that, when used correctly, are potentially devastating against infantry and vehicles alike. When threatened by aircraft, the Harasser has the benefit of extreme mobility, (meaning that surprise turns, speed changes, and manoeuvres are very easy to pull off), and besides, the Harasser has an arsenal more than capable of depending itself against ESFs; maybe not Liberators and Galaxies, though the Harasser should find it relatively easy to lose these quite quickly.

Furthermore, this vehicle is also on the ground, and can utilise cover such as trees and infrastructure to stay safe and stay hidden from the view of enemy aircraft. AA in this game is already far too potent, and far too many vehicles can use it, (when against ESFs and the Valkyrie - it's borderline useless against Galaxies and Liberators). We don't need another threat from the ground to worry about, and one that we won't see until it's too late.

If you want to defend yourself against aircraft when in a Harasser, make use of the fact that you choose where the chase goes, and how it goes as well. Be unpredictable and go for cover to hide behind.
  17. SoljVS

Lol NO. Harrassers are already annoying enough against ESFs. The little nubs that put walkers on and wait for ESFs to get in duels and then sit there spamming the walker trying to get a free kill. If anything, ground should not be messing with anything but air that's ground pounding. People who are fulfilling the air superiority role should not have to worry about anything but enemy air. Not everyone and their grandma on the ground shooting at them to try and get the kill.
  18. Antillie

Lol NO. Just as tanks always have to worry about C4 light assaults and ESFs, so too should ESFs always have to worry about ground fire. That's the risk you take doing A2A over hostile ground forces.

The Walker is really the only G2A weapon that can threaten a moving ESF at the flight ceiling anyway unless the ground elevation is particularly high. (G2A lockons are out of range and Striker/Skyguard/Ranger don't have enough projectile velocity to be effective at long range)

Granted a large number of A2A fights take place much closer to the ground where lockons and flack are an issue. And that is just fine. There is nothing wrong with ground forces providing support to friendly ESFs in an A2A fight just as ESFs provide support to friendly tanks and in infantry who are involved in a G2G fight.
    • Up x 2
  19. Takara

Walker's actually **** sundies...try it out. When I come across them with our Walker Harasser we chew em up pretty good. Because of the size of the sundie it isn't to hard to hit even at range. Rare once and awhile it requires a nose down on a hill but not often.

As for the OP, Walker is great AA....if you think it's bad....it's prolly cuz you are just not using it right. Dual Walker Sundies clean the skys pretty effectively so long as both gunners work together. Walker Harassers are really deadly to ESF specially if you don't fire on them long distance. You lure them in and only aim at the close targets. Many times my gunner will intentionally miss to give the ESF some false confidence then when they swoop in to try and be a hero they usually die as they try to fly away because their health drops so fast they can't recover.
  20. Ronin Oni

The Ranger is objectively worse.

The Walker actually kicks out good damage, and dual walker Sunderer's can rip up air.

The skyguard only has a little bit more damage potential than one, less than 2, the main difference being that the Skyguard is proximity while the walker is direct hits only (but with 1000m/s velocity to do so)

Walker is fine. The RANGER needs a buff for sure.
    • Up x 3