(Vulkan API) Just played Doom...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FIN Faravid, Aug 27, 2016.

1. FIN Faravid

And whoa. At Open GL, with default settings (with depth of field and motion blur turned off) i could get 60 FPS. Then i tried Vulkan, and whoa, i got 100-110:eek: I could even turn everything to highest possible and get 100 FPS!
    Vulkan might have better perfomance than DirectX12. DirectX12 has better perfomance than DirectX11. Planetside 2 uses, what, DirectX9?
    So guestion is, how much work would adding Vulkan be? Depending how much work it takes to add, Vulkan really seems like needed addition to Planetside 2.
    And importantly for Planetside 2, it reduces CPU load as well and improves multi core scaling.

Clearly, if it is not too much work, we need Vulkan for PLanetside 2. Changing from DirectX9 to Vulkan would be extremely good not only today when it would enable huge amount of people to play this game, and in future so team can add some new features/stuff without unreasonable perfomance loss.

I am aware that in 2016 we might not see improved perfomance by having Vulkan. But if new graphic APIs would not provide benefits - why are they making new APIs?

Everyone knows that in Planetside 2 priority number #1 is to improve perfomance. It has been that way since beta. I love PLanetside 2, but i hate 30FPS. That is why i can`t play this game anymore.
  2. FateJH

How much work? Well, first you would have to ditch Forgelight and that's like removing the game's backbone and brainstem ...
  3. Gundem

Well, if we consider Vulkan/DX12 to be like super advanced augmentations for a person, removing your spine/brainstem ain't such a bad idea in the long run.

I'd personally like to see the Forgelight engine ditched(It's a ****** MMO engine anyway made for stuff like Free Realms and Everquest), but I also understand that it'd be WAY to much work for the current dev platform.
  4. FIN Faravid

Also a lot of people don`t care why game has bad perfomance, they just see that perfomance sucks and complain about it (as they should in lot of cases).
  5. Taemien

PS2 is the first game to use Forgelight.

Forgelight seems bad because of how its used. But out of the other MMOFPS's I've played (Defiance and Firefall), it allows for ALOT of people in a small area. That's something other engines struggle with. Even Unreal, CryEngine, and Unity have some issues when you get into the hundreds of players mark.

When you use Forgelight in the small scale, it runs smooth as hell.

I've seen good things out of Vulkan.. all solo player games however. We'll see what happens when someone tries to get it to do 100 people on a screen.
  6. FIN Faravid

Lets see if Star Citzien ever tries to do that, at the moment they don`t even plan to do it, i believe they said they are going to cap it at something like 60 people. And that is propably most "futuristic RL tech" game ever. So you have a good point.

However, Vulkan still would help to reduce CPU load and take better advantage of CPU and GPU. Vulkan itself does not suddenly become worse when there are more people on the screen.
  7. Taemien

I want to see it, not because I'm skeptical, but because I want to see what it can actually do. Any engine, literally any, can do amazing stuff in single player games. But I don't give a damn about single player, I've got mobile games to tinker around on for that.

That's one of the reasons I respect Forgelight, it was designed with MMOs in mind. Other engines have to be adapted to MMO play.
  8. AtckAtck

This discussion again...

Planetside sure has a lot of problems, but the core engine itself is not bad and actually quite right for the task of massive players.

A low level API like Vulkan sure could help reduce overhead from the graphics system, but as modern graphics cards are totally bored of planetside, I say there is not much use in the effort put in there.
    Really, most of the time the fans of my gpu aren't even spinning when running planetside because its unter 50°C...

If you ask me, the netcode is plain bad. The game has seious lag issues often. The servers seem to constanly run at their own limit.
    And client side hit detection is a joke.

Still its not a bad game, but It would really help if the Devs would play their own game a weekend or two to see for themselves, as its clear they simply don't know.