VS Sniper Rifles best end game?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Tengen, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Tengen

Is it wrong for me to assume that VS Sniper Rifles are better end game, or do the bullet drops among the Sniper Rifles equalize among the factions?
  2. Onhil

Bullet drop among Bolt-actions are the same across all factions. Since all bolt-actions in their respective tiers are carbon copies in everything except looks and tracer colour. Though the VS semi-auto rifles do not have bullet drop, but have a 2 HSK. Though the Phaseshift is an exception as it has a charge mode which will 1 HSK up to 200m with no bulletdrop
  3. Tengen

Would you say the Phaseshift is worth to main on VS?
  4. _itg

No. It could be a fun toy to play with from time to time, but the standard bolt-actions are just better. None of the ES sniper rifles are good, though, so you're not missing out by playing VS.
  5. MisterSlim

Onhil was correct in saying that all bolt actions across all factions have the same stats and drop, and I'd have to agree with _itg in that the Phaseshift is a fun gun, but not necessarily a great gun. Don't get me wrong, if your playstyle just so happens to fit its very specific niche, then you may enjoy it a lot more than most do. Don't hesitate to give it a whirl if you have the certs laying around!

-Stay Frosty
  6. asmodraxus

Phaseshift is one of the worst sniper rifles in the game, it combines the bad points of the semi autos with the worst of the bolt actions and adds a few unique features all of its own...
    • Up x 1
  7. Krinsee

Well technically the semi autos do have bullet drop.... Granted it takes 300+ meters and a suppresser for the specter to have a drop of about 1 meter.
  8. Moz

OFC they are......
  9. Devilllike

There is no such thing as End game in planetside 2,Every rifle is different in its own way

TR-Fastest : Best TR bolt action rifles are Bighorn .50M,RAMS .50M (Bighorn 50M is directive weapon)
    NC-Strongest : Best NC bolt action rifles are EM4 Longshot , The Moonshot (The Moonshot is directive weapon)
    VS-Most accurate : Best VS bolt action rifles are Parallax VX3 , Parsec VX3-A (Parsec VX3-A is directive weapon)

Personally since i play TR i rather Rams 50M since i got used to that.I think its the best for me.
    Now about the best gun there is no such thing as best gun you become the best on a gun as you get used to it and learn to play with the gun and the class.And i am not talking about camping on a mountain away from your team doing absolutely nothing other than farming,An infiltrator is much more than that.
  10. pnkdth

Sniper rifles are mirrored across all factions. Only deviations are empire specific sniper rifles(TRAP, Phaseshift, and Railjack), and VS semi-auto rifles having no bullet drop with less velocity.

Sniper rifles work in tiers(T1 least damage to T3 highest damage):
    T1(lowest bullet velocity velocity/fastest chamber time). XM98, Bolt Driver, whatever weird codename TR uses.
    T2(mid bullet velocity/mid chamber time). V10, LA80, whatever weird codename TR uses.
    T3(fastest bullet velocity/slow chamber time). Parallax, RAMS, Longshot.

There there is the low magnification scoped sniper rifles(TSAR, Ghost, SAR-S) which are very similar to T1 sniper rifles but have access to scopes up to 4x. I believe they have a slightly lower bullet velocity than the T1 SR but also the fastest chamber time/reload.

I tend to stick with T1 or Low magnifaction sniper rifles since I prefer the higher rate of fire and faster reload. The Ghost/TSAR/SAR-S also allow you to be very effective at mid range, and even do some dank CQC sniping.
  11. Booface

It's been said already, but just to summarize:

The best sniper rifles for mid and long range are the bolt actions. They are identical across all three factions, just with different names and visuals.

The VS have no drop semi-auto rifles. However, they pay for that with less velocity and damage. Generally semi-autos are only used at close and mid range, where you won't notice the no-drop anyway. At long range, they can take an extra headshot or several extra body shots to kill, so nobody uses them.

Finally, the empire-specific sniper rifles:

The VS get the PhaseShift, which can fire in both semi-auto and charge up mode. Its charge up shot is a headshot kill up to 200m with no bullet drop. However, it has a low fire rate, low velocity, low effective magazine size when firing quickly (overheats), high recoil, and lower relative damage in either mode, plus the charge up shots leave you vulnerable to counter-sniping. It does have unlimited ammo, which can be useful in those situations where you need more than an ammo belt (60 shots) worth of kills without dying or having a chance to resupply, but that's an extremely rare occurrence to pay for with so many other drawbacks. Generally it's thought of as a terrible weapon by pretty much every experienced VS sniper I've met or heard of, though there is one guy on the forums who swears by it.

The TR get the TRAP. It is a short to mid range burst-fire scout rifle. It's actually decent compared to the full-auto scout rifle at similar ranges, but like the full auto scout rifle is generally outclassed at short range by SMGs, mid range by semi-auto scout rifles and sniper rifles, and long range by the bolt action rifles. Most people pass it over for more specialized weapons.

NC get the Railjack. It's a long range bolt action sniper rifle. It has extremely high velocity and damage, but pays for that with a charge up time to make the shot and (I think?) a lower fire rate or longer reload. Since the charge up time throws off the aim of most people, and leaves you vulnerable to counter-sniping, most people prefer the plain old bolt actions for the same ranges.

So that's it. TLDR:
    The most competitive sniper rifle options are the general pool of bolt action rifles, which are identical for any faction just with different names and visuals. You gain no real intrinsic advantage sniping for any particular faction.
  12. Devilllike

i know about snipers dude its just that in the long term there is no such thing as best but in the end of the day most players pick the T3 sniper rifles but yeah i forgot to mention the rest
  13. pnkdth

Ok, but in your post it said every rifle is different in their own way and then also labelling the different factions as fastest/strongest/accurate when listing the BASRs. Hence my clarification because a new player might get the idea there's asymmetrical balance among the BASRs as well.
    • Up x 2
  14. AF8RailJack

I have to argue with the last thing you said. My subjective opinion is that Rams 50 is much quieter than the Longshot. When im sniping with the rams i feel like fewer people recognize where the shots are coming from. Also its model seems a bit smaller giving u a better field of view (which is another small advantage). But yeah stats wise they are all the same.
  15. Devilllike

Yes you are correct should clarify what i said
  16. Dualice

Like most other weapons in Planetside 2, the selection of bolt-action mostly comes down to personal preference, or what the present situation dictates. The RAMS/Longshot/Parallax surely hit hardest and with the highest muzzle velocity, but their chamber and reload times are pretty sluggish. I went from the RAMS to the M-77B recently and found the refire time of the latter very refreshing, and preferable in quite a few situations.

As far as I'm aware there aren't many VS infiltrator weapons that have the "no-drop" trait. The Nyx, the semi-auto scout rifle, is one of them, and is a very tasty weapon indeed, in my opinion.

Phaseshift is fun as heck, and the limitless ammo is sure useful if you're on a major spree, but timing the decloaking/charging/firing/etc. properly is a right PITA.