VS MAX ZOE: Boycott

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Siveon, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marinealver

It was something from the old Planetside. VS MAXs had jumpjets.

However with the base design here I can see how this would be considered OP. Back in Planetside 1 there were doors with IFF locks all around the exterior walls and around vital rooms (gen, CC, spawns) So even if a VS MAX say did jump to the foor there was nothing it can doo other than wait outside and hope someone would open the door. That does happen but usually from someone armed with a decimator.

However with Planetside 2 base design The VS MAX would have free reign over the entire base and terrain. VS would never use Light Assault it would just use a MAX instead. That is the problem with the current class system. It is not trying to balance the difrent empires but really the different classes. Right now there is a problem with HA and MAXs constantly eclipsing each other for the same role. Currently the HA is winning that one. Engineer might be encroaching in on the Anti-Vehicle territory. But if there was a flying MAX then you would have a problem with balancing Light Assaults with MAXs. VS would never use a jump jet again.

As for balance here is a vid. But sure you don't want a paper rock scissors with each empire such as TR>VS>NC>TR loop. That would be broken, but you do need say some to have better clases than others say NC has the best MAX and infiltrator (Shotgun sniper) TR has the best HA and Medic (Mass firepower and mass troops) and VS has the best Engineer and Light Assault (Technology and mobility). But not by much of an advantage. I say only about a 10-20% advantage so it would still be 2 NC LA > 1 VS LA.
  2. XRIST0

My point exactly ..
    • Up x 1
  3. Marinealver

Too bad we can't have the bases changed a little. Doors and windows would be nice. I mean when you got the weather report of tank shells and lib bombs defiantly need some doors.
  4. Ayre

Yeah I agree with you, damage is not something the VS MAX is lacking, its accuracy. Dual cosmos will (used to) ruin infantry as it is and will win against scatmaxes if you time your charges right. Right now switching between my get out of jail free and some stupid WoW-esque damage buff is pointless.
    • Up x 2
  5. Cryptek

Really now? So suddenly the MAX by gaining jumpjets; also gains the ability to carry c4? to capture points? to go on a shotgun rampage? To pilot ESF and for that matter any other vehicle?

Not to mention with the way camo's now cover absolutely everything it's hard to tell Light assaults apart if the Q function isn't working, sneaking past someone undetected is a lot easier as a LA than it would ever be as a MAX.. No one really mistakes the VS MAX for a TR or NC MAX..
  6. Marinealver

Piloting a vehicle would be the only thing a LA would have over a jumpjet MAX. Shotgun rampage? That would be the scatmax. Funny thing is that a lightning tank can capture points but that is another rant to the devs on a different post.

If jumpjets were on a MAX to ballence them out they would have to be extreamly nerfed to the point that they can only say jump up one story and advance 5 meters per jump and only in a burst of say 5 seconds. However that would be so situational dependent it would only be good for getting on top of a single room building. Other than that it would be nothing more than adding in fall damage to a MAX who needs to beg an engineer for repairs.
    • Up x 1
  7. Cryptek

So now VS MAXes are scatmaxes? :p

Also please do tell me where to cert c4 for my MAX, I'd love to have it.

(Side note: Lightning tanks havn't been able to capture points for quite a while now, you can't even cap a point from your engineer turret)
  8. UnDeaD_CyBorG

I suppose a MAX jet would combine Drifters and Jumpjets: No lift and short duration.^^
    Still, would allow fast strafing, so it'd have a use. But doing it just for the sake of history is the wrong approach, as well.
    • Up x 2
  9. 9Fingers

How about you give us ZOE then and you can have our "sitting duck" lock down that's only good for lamers that want to sit in spawn rooms with dual bursters. A berserker MAX sounds like awesome fun and of the 3 new abilities is the only one I'd be interested in.
  10. felfox

The ZOE is a terrible idea, not just on VS but on any of the MAXs. Its principle design makes it ridiculously overpowered against air, something that is NOT needed. Lockdown will have limited firing ark making it only partially effective against air but the ZOE with its added speed and damage will decimate air to the point it will HAVE to be nerfed.

The ZOE movement speed will be about infantry based from what Higby said so unless you can easily dodge decimator rockets with infantry movement or dodge enemy fire in close/medium range, this isn't really a decent change. Honestly all this power will do is make you even more powerful 1v1 but exponentially scale against you for each additional target. This means the ZOE will -not- help you in taking a base or defending it as anything over one or two enemy forces will mean you're dying that much faster.

Lockdown doesn't suffer damage degradation but being immobile is a crutch. However for interior base defense this power will still shine as well as leap frogging into a base to capture it. Riot shield will let you survive a zerg long enough to reload and kill them or survive entering a hot zone long enough to open fire. (I agree it'll need some tweaking but the potential for a really great power IS there) ZOE will make bursters incredibly OP will barely helping us in the one job that really needs help (taking and holding a base) as such it will be nerfed on the next day and any amount of infantry power this ability might have had will be destroyed entirely just to make sure bursters don't clean the sky more then they already do.

In short, no MAX/Faction should have the ZOE as it's a terrible ability that will need to be nerfed or rendered useless while bursters are equipped and ultimately give no significant bonus in urban/structural combat.
    • Up x 3
  11. Darlith

Hmm I don't recall the sundy variants having anything different between them than the weaponry, though you might be right, it has been quite awhile and I mostly didn't drive the sundy variants. I'm fairly certain the Prowler and Maurader had less armor than the Vanguard and Enforcer however. In fact it's why the prowler and vanguard were fairly well matched in a straight up fight, the dual 100mm guns gave the prowler more dps than the 150mm on the vanguard, but the vanguard had more armor, so with good drivers and gunners it was a coin flip which would survive the encounter.

And yeah the VS accuracy was why you sniped with magriders, the mobilty and hover was why they were viable in closer encounters.
    • Up x 1
  12. -Synapse-

Basicly all its gonna do is turn your max into a high-damage infantryman. What with less damage resistance and more mobility... c'mon SOE, you can do better.
    • Up x 2
  13. Marinealver

Nope but that is a MAX on a shotgun spree. C4 I wish it deployed more like the boomers instead of a throw and push grenade. Still another topic.
  14. Cryptek

No it's not, you're just trying to divert attention from the rather obvious: A flying VS MAX is not as dangerous as a LA because he does not have access to any of the light assaults tools: Being able to overload generators, go on shotgun sprees or drop c4.

The VS MAX can shoot people with what is essentially 1 carbine, and tank some damage, not to mention he is a much larger and more easily detected target. A MAX is strongest with an engineer behind him, engineers can't fly.
    • Up x 1
  15. Marinealver

Well I can see you are dead set in beating your point across in attempt to get MAX jumpjets that we had in Planetside (1). (I miss those too you know) But there are many people that agree with me that it won't fit into the current terrain and class design for the game. As of now the MAX and HA are in constant competition for the combo anti-personnel/anti-tank role. Adding that will make the MAX now compete with the mobile assault role of the Light assault class (with or without a bomb like c4)

Not to say I don't want the option for MAXs to have jumpjets but the game would have to go through more changes to make it viable. such as doors on bases or crawl spaces that only non max infantry can go through. Besides it is not like the devs will change their mind to make Planetside 2 closer to Planetside, just take a look at the MBTs.
  16. Heavy

Why would you bring a MAX when you can just bring more HAs? Terrain design? You mean the same one that's responsible for HWs being what they are? The Minigun is in its sad state because being low-slung, it wouldn't be able to fire over the cookie-cutter base design that's present on every continent (remember when SOE stated it didn't like every PS1 base being the same and wanted to change that?). The VS MAX wouldn't infringe on the LA's role. It lacks the protection that comes with mobility, along with all of the tools that the LA class has. Jumpjets should be a LA-only ability? This is not an argument, because SOE invalidated the argument itself by letting the Vanguard and HA class shield themselves. The Prowler deploys and so will the TR MAX. "Class-defining abilities" are already spread out beyond those classes. Giving the VS MAX its jumpjets is therefore acceptable.

The VS MAx not receiving its jumpjets is a matter of laziness. SOE can try to divert attention from this in whatever way it pleases, but it'll always be transparent. In other threads I've dismantled every argument SOE has given for why the VS MAX won't be regaining its jumpjets. An an aside, judging from your sig, for a person who seems so distrustful of SOE, you sure are willing to stick up for them.
    • Up x 1
  17. Intruder313

Love the application of physics but remember VS don't fire bullets they fire plasma bolts or similar energy. ZOE (or whatever this is) increases the damage by supplying more energy; in game-fluff terms this would be "overclocking the propulsion coils".
  18. Marinealver

Not really sticking up for them, havn't let them off the hook for the lousy base design. It is getting better but still tank shell and lib bomb city. No real indoor fight other than hide behind shield wall or spawn room.

But yeah as I said the MAX and HA are in a constant flux for competing over the combo anti/infantry/anti vehicle role and I will say as of now the Heavy Assault trumps the MAX in this role. But food for though if one empire gets jumpjets for their MAX then for balance sake all empires would need it. The base design in Planetside one made it so that the VS MAX wasn't so OP in the base fight where MAXs are the strongest.
    Yeah but I am still going to give SOE hell for giving us Semi-automatic laser pointers instead of variable power settings for all energy base weapons. (o_O You want batteries for a pump action shot gun?:rolleyes: )
  19. Cryptek

No, I want batteries for my FLAK CANNONS ;D (Even after all this time, I still find it kinda funny saying 'I need moar batteries' when wielding dual bursters)
    • Up x 1
  20. Pikachu

What is "ZOE"?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.