VS MAX Help! (New To This Class)

Discussion in 'MAX' started by RayDrazon, Jan 3, 2013.

1. RayDrazon

I just started playing as MAX and I need some tips. I'm currently in VS on the server SolTech. The only weapons I have for the VS MAX are the default ones.

At the moment, I have the Nano-Armor Accelerator at level 3 because most of the times I don't have a reliable engineer around to repair me. That and 2 levels of the acquire timer.

Currently, I'm equipping the Burster and Quesar. If I need to take down air, I'll use the burster. If for infantry, I'll use both burster and quesar.

What weapons should I get for the VS MAX? Abilities?

P.S. Are VS MAX's really people in a "Mechanized Suits"? They seem to be more of oversized muscled beasts instead. The only reasonable explanation I can think that they look the way they are is they have a 1-2 inch thick layer of tight stretchy spandex that somehow reduce damage significantly. The only part of the VS MAX where there seems to be "armor" is the chest and the head.

Please post and comment below. Thanks.
  2. Kiddneey

Purchasing your second Burster and a second AI (Anti Infantry) weapon of your flavour would be the best start, I think most will agree. A lot of people swear by the Cosmos for AI (truth is, all the AI guns are bad).

As for abilities, keep Charge. Cert it if you want to, but otherwise leave it alone. You need Charge to survive an NC MAX at the very least.

As for your PS.. I dunno. Maybe?
  3. Quiiliitiila

Welcome to the lamest MAX unit in the game club! I hope you enjoy getting rolled by the other two empire's MAX units and running from combat medics, cause that's what the VS MAX units currently excel at in the game.

IF you want to held your own in infantry combat, I'd suggest dropping the burster unless you actually need it, and grab the comet or another AI weapon. When the need arises you can go and equip a burster, but you'd be better off with a default load-out that deals primarily against AI (unless you plan you fight AA for the majority of your time as a MAX).

As for your P.S.
    I've always imagined them more as bio-engineered soldiers, than suits. Their musculature and (strangely enough) feet just give me the impression that there is no-one inside the MAX unit, because the MAX unit IS the soldier :D.

-Quiiliitiila
  4. Mocam

I just posted one strong point to this MAX and I'll bring it up again.

The grenade launchers for them have no drop to their shots. As such, you can hit at very long ranges against vehicles. This "no drop" on them also means you can predict and hit slow moving/hovering air units.

As for "order to get" - I agree with Kiddneey's assessment.

Second burster, Second MG - but also get that second launcher.

2 of those launchers are evil at long ranges and due to the no-drop with the shots, you can "snipe" at extreme ranges - vehicles and infantry groups - hitting with "explosive" effects.

This AV role is it's strongest ability compared to any of the other MAX units but the biggest threats in the game are Air - then Vehicles then Ground but you can't stand up to Vehicles. You can stand up to infantry and chew them up with the guns.

Long ranged hitting of vehicles and you can beat them but up close gets nasty very fast.
  5. Xocolatl

I'd get level 1 nano repair thing first--it makes life a lot less annoying.

Then grab the first 2 or 3 levels of spawn time reduction, as those will help you get to play your fav class quicker with minimal investment (about 50 total cert points for the first 90sec spawn time reduction I think).

After than, grab a twin Burster for AA. You won't always get much XP for it unless you can convince other MAX to join in on your AA barrage, but your team will at least benefit a lot from you having it.

Once that is down, nab another Comet (Anti Tank weapon).

And NEVER use dual-anti-infantry guns.
    -----------------

The key is to realize that VS MAX is horrible fighting infantries due to our extremely low DPS and rate of fire. Quasar and Cosmos has excellent damage per shot, but it will miss some shots, and you're screwed in that time. Blue Shift is supposed to work similarly to infantry guns (shoot fast, kill fast), but the accuracy leaves much to be desired.

VS MAX's strong point is us having no bullet drop, hence we excel at fighting at range. Single shot Quasar/Cosmos deals very heavy damage compared to any other weapon, and it can still hit well at range. Comet is also quite easy to hit people with, because they fly in perfectly straight line as well.
    The tricky part is fighting Infantries at short range: shoot single shots (single click instead of holding down the mouse) with your default Anti Infantry (AI) gun, Quasar. Once the shot connects, instantly fire Comet (AT). The Comet hit will pretty much kill off the enemy's shield. 1 or 2 more shots from the Quasar will finish the target. This frontloading of damage is much more effective than the typical spray and pray, but it does require some getting used to. However, remember that this setup will only be able to fight toe to toe with 1 or 2 people at a time due to Comet reloading. Anymore, and you'd better hope your Sprint ability is ready to go.

The feet is pretty normal. You're basically standing on a platform shoe, just like every other empire. It looks like one of these spring shoes, basically.
    [IMG]

As far as muscle tone goes...I thought it looks more like artificial muscle (elastic material that is used to pull the pieces of the exo suit instead of gears to drive it), similar to how some modern robots use wires and string to pull the pieces.
    [IMG]
  6. Ripshaft

Aye the VS MAX suits are indeed mechanized suits, but due to the wonders of vanu technology, we're able to mechanize carbon spandex to achieve our goals.

As for weapons and abilities, it's a bit open, but you basically build the max to fit a purpose. My current main max build revolves around dual quasars, kinetic armor, and the general certs in charge and respawn time. The purpose is to be an absolute beast, using superior combat knowledge to gain advantage for my faction in infantry dominated situations, and it does the job very, very well.

But that's far from the only use I see for it... honestly the more I play max and the more I spec into it the more I realize just how badly people underestimate the max's potential. My next build will be more of an outdoors max, suited to open combat, primarily anti vehicle, so going flak armor and dual comets.

Later down the line i'd like a more roaming build, using the nano-armor accelerator, so that I can operate more than 50m away from an engineer or active spawn for awhile, and the dual burster flak armor build is pretty much a no brainer for anti-air capabilities.

But to put it plainly, find something you like with the max, spec into it, and you'll be greatly rewarded. The certs on the max are much like the certs on a vehicle, they don't just improve your enjoyment or facilitate ease of use, they actually define how you use the unit.
  7. Regpuppy

Well, for all we know, there isn't a human in there. Could just be some combination of biology and tech combined that you can download your consciousness into!

In other words, you're a fracking cylon
  8. CBCronin

Duel Bursters, Duel Comet, Duel Cosmos (though these are for the least effective role of the VS max).

AA can get you plenty of ESF kills if you get really good, more so if the planes are coming right at you. Libs you'll need some help, three good AA max can take one down safely, less and you'll need some cover and repair.

Duel AT, best siege weapons in the game. Repeatedly knock down turrets, keep enemy lightnings hiding in garage of the Crown, light the enemy up at night, etc. Don't expect to go 1v1 in the open field against armor and come out on top (except maybe at distance), as they will probably just run you over... but have the support of a squad or have the cover of buildings, they will run, die, or have HE.

Duel Cosmos can take down inf quickly firing both at the enemies head, but this is against one enemy using a lot of ammo. The Cosmos are the most accurate of the anti inf. guns and the only ones that can kill pretty reliably (the other weapons are incredibly inaccurate).... yet, because we can't cut through swaths of enemies no one fears us. If no one fears you even Infiltrators will stick their heads out to take pop shots at you in clear sight. You will become overwhelmed without support.

--------------------------
    And I think the VS maxes are actually man and machine bonded, with the added use of genetic manipulation. The neck is clearly visible, and as the VS were originally TR scientists I doubt any had necks that big :D.
  9. UnDeaD_CyBorG

VS MAXes are not as bad as most people say, even in the AI role they are quite good if you have a Cosmos.
    Still, Comets are indeed the only strongpoint of this suit, it's long range AT, siege, AI support, and you won't run out of Ammo any time soon.
  10. Cryptek

for AI I run Nebula/Cosmos, but blueshift/cosmos is also good.

The difference in clip size will ensure that you're never caught without the ability to fire some bullets down range, and if you fall back to reload both then they both reload at the fastest speed.
  11. KusoSamui

There is no reason to use any other gun for AI besides the cosmos. It has the tightest CoF, more or less tied for the top DPS, and the biggest clip. Your cone of fire is invisible, but works the same as infantry. Burst 5-6 shots and crouch for accuracy. Anyone that recommends another of the guns is objectively wrong. There is no reason to use another gun, full stop. None have any aspect that is meaningfully better than the cosmos.

For the rest of it, I like to use charge and kinetic armor for my AI max setup. Kinetic lets you take a lot more punishment from small arms fire, and I often use charge to avoid explosives. I would absolutely not get the auto repair function. If you're running around solo as a max, then frankly you're doing it wrong. Get someone in your squad to be your repair buddy (they will get tons of xp for this too) and you will be an infantry gobbling machine.
  12. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Well, the Cosmos has the slowest projectile speed, which also means the highest damage falloff.
    Then again, that's really not an argument for mixing it with other guns.^^
  13. Goodname

COMET IS NOT SPIKE DAMAGE

The Comet is, by far, the worst AI weapon. Taking off 1/3rd someone's health is not a SPIKE. You can do more damage with two Cosmos body hits or one Cosmos headshot. That should be clear to anyone who has compared dual Comet to dual Cosmos. Mixing the two is laughable because a Cosmos still out damages a Comet in the same amount of time. Mixing also makes it far more difficult to aim, because one weapon is a projectile. Comet can't hit at medium range either.

Blue Shift is also pretty bad. It has 4% higher DPS, that is quickly offset by its absolutely horrible min/max CoF. Even at close range, you will be sacrificing head shots. It also has a much smaller clip size and ammo pool.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Amnj8jnZLDIOdEx6azNNdVozRmxLVkI2WnZmS2NqV1E&output=html

Cosmos is the only viable AI choice. The main reason everyone thinks VS MAXes are bad for AI is because the VS are equipping themselves with terrible weapons.

I don't think projectile speed has anything to do with damage fall off. The stats for other weapons have damage fall off numbers independent of their projectile speeds.
  14. Xocolatl

Comet-Anti Infantry weapon of choice for anti-infantry/base storming purposes. You need the extra burst from the Comet (unless it bugs out..which happens more often than not).

Dual Comet for anti-vehicle. Make sure your mouse sensitivty is less than 0.4 or you will never hit anything at a respectable distance (read: tanks won't turn around and kill you straight away). You can attempt to flank tanks and shoot them from the back while defending a base. It's a bit hard with your speed, but it is doable..somewhat. Remember--you stop sprinting (the special ability) when you fire, so you can use that to stop running once you are already behind the enemy tank.

For maximum efficiency, be sure to have at least 1 extra burster MAX (anti air) friend when you are going anti-air. One MAX cannot bring down an ESF before they run out of sight, which while being useful to the team, can be incredibly boring for you.
  15. Fear The Amish

First buy your second Burster. Then buy a blueshift for the arm your Quasar isn't on... you now have a biodome clearing machine. Because the Quasar has a 50 bullet mag and the Blueshift a 40 you can literally just hold the trigger down and walk when the blueshift runs out of ammo and starts reloading the Quasar will keep firing by the time the blue shift is reloaded the quasar runs out. You can make a wall of lead in front of you. Also the Blueshift is very accurate for a MAX weapon but it doesn't have alot of damage were as the Quasar has dmg but is very inaccurate.