VS assault rifle question

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Giligan96, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Giligan96

Hey fellow players-

I play the VS medic alot and have been using the stock AR(sorry, forgot name ATM) up until now. It's ok, but does feel a little lacking when faced with 1v1 situations.

What's your thoughts on VS AR's? Which ones do you all prefer? Which should I stay away from? Try the new burst? Run a SMG?

I know this is all biased info, but I'm curious to what some of the vets like.
    I posted a thread in the class specific section but I don't think it gets much traffic. Thought I'd try it here.

Thanks for your thoughts.:)
  2. ATRA_Wampa-One

VS AR's in order from best to worst

Terminus
    NS-11a
    NS-11a (black)
    NS-11a (gold)
    NS-11a (Platinum)
    H-V45
    CME
    Pulsar VS1 (the one you were using)
    Equinox Burst
    Corvus
    Equanox
    • Up x 1
  3. FocusLight

The standard issue rifle - Pulsar VS1 - is always a good option for highly stable and accurate mid-range combat, in addition it has very good re-load speed - 2.2 seconds long and 1.75 seconds short. That's an absurdly short reload if you don't empty the magazine.

So, to replace this rifle, question is, what do you need? A decent scope on the VS1 will help you at mid to even long range, so if you absolutely need a new long range gun anytime soon - besides the Eidolon VE33 Battle Rifle and the NS-11A rifle you have the CME - underrated by many Vanu, with a compensator and foregrip it barely has any recoil at all, making it extremely easy to control at mid-long range. There is also the Corvus VA55, (yes I am double-checking to get these names right) that, in my experience is reliable at long ranges - but not so mcuh anywhere else. It's got a good damage profile but poor ROF, yet like the CME is extremely easy to control, and both the Corvus and the CME both have short reloads.

For close quarters there is ofc the tried and ever popular H-V45: a high ROF, good damage CQB weapon with advanced laser available as well as soft-point ammo. This thing can easily be sprayed in close quarters, and even if you ADS it's very stable for mid-range, considering it's CQB weapon. With foregrip it's also highly controllable out to 30-40 meters or so, and has a fast reload time, as is typical of Vanu weapons.

There is also ofc the Terminus VX-9, the newest weapon in the Vanu Assault Rifle lineup. Basically a all-purpose weapon, but has access to soft-point ammo, a foregrip and advanced laser. You can kit this thing to be the H-V45's rival in CQB, or a highly CQB capable mid-range weapon with the foregrip, it's slightly less controllable than the Pulsar VS1, but far more so than the H-V45, if you want a middle-of-the-line weapon.

On top of all of these, there is ofc also SMG's and shotguns for CQB and the mentioend battle-rifle or Burst rifles for mid-long range.

You may want to go to the VR training room and test all these. You can do that by going to the warp-gate, using the contient terminal, and selecting the VR training from the top left side.

Personal advice? Terminus or H-V45. The Pulsar is already very capable at mid-range so that not, IMHO, you biggest worry atm.
    • Up x 1
  4. Giligan96

Thanks for your thoughts. So the terminus/ns-11a/or H-V45 seem to be on top? I'll try these in the VR. I've got certs burning a hole in my virtual pocket! Do you suggest 1x/2x scopes on these?
    I've seen alot of discussion on the ns-11a. Is this all that it's cut out to be? And maybe a stupid question here, but performance wise, the different variants are all the same except color/cost, right?

I have had some pretty good times with the Pulsar (thx for reminding me of the name) but I guess I just want to try something else.
  5. ATRA_Wampa-One

Yes, all the NS-11a variants have the same stats, and I like a 2x although get the one you like most.

And yes, the NS-11a is like the CME with 0.75 ADS, 5 more rounds, and SPA or HVA that actually works.
    • Up x 1
  6. FocusLight

Personally I prefer 1x scopes and Just aim better or semi-auto or bust my rounds depending on how far out the target is, because the 1x usually allows the biggest peripheral vision and the least visible kick so you don't end up over-compensating your recoil management. 2x let's you see out slightly better ofc for slightly more visible ' kick' and so I never go above that, unless I'm using a battle-rifle, then it's 3.4x red-dot all the way. Or ofc, a bolt-action or scout-rifle...

Whatever I prefer however is just that - personal preference. I'd say to test them with scopes, though keep in mind that the bigger the scope the less you see as the weapon model get's in the way, both when you ADS and not, and the more 'kick' you get when you fire. I've personally had an issue with my aim from 3.4x scopes on carbines and assault rifles because I tend to over-compensate my recoil management, the weapon just *looks* like it kicks more - the scopes don't actually help you with recoil, only compensators and foregrips do that.

NS-11A is usually a solid choice for mid to long range, it's extremely easy to handle, reliable and feels very good, like you got a really trustworthy weapon in your hands, but it suffers at closer ranges and is not something I'd suggest storming rooms with, if you do just hip-fire it in someone's face and keep moving.

And no, it's all the same stats, the black/gold/platinum versions are all bling, and all viable for the "special weapons" directive for black camo. If you like it and enjoy using it, congrats, you can aurax it 3 times for 3 out of 5 special weapon auraxes needed.
  7. Liberty

Terminus for good DPS that is good/accurate at all ranges.

HV-45 good up close / hipfire with ALS

NS-11A - Accurate, 0.75 ADS, SPA, 35 Rounds per Mag. Etc.

Those three will cover all your bases but really Terminus should be your first choice.
  8. Scorpion97

first of all,do you have good aim?
  9. FieldMarshall

If you want more 1v1 power the H-V45 is really good.
    Fast ROF and AdvLaser if you like hipfiring.

I dont have the Terminus on my VS, but i hear its pretty good.

I personally use the Corvus because i like damage per shot and i always ADS,
    but most people will say that its one of the worst ARs VS has, so i cant really recommend it.
  10. Bindlestiff

Based on stats, or personal view? Because my ordering on those would be very different indeed.
  11. Hatesphere

the corvus is a great gun, its main problem is its rate of fire. If you have good aim though you can score head shots with it at some pretty impressive ranges, but you end up a bit screwed in CQC.
    • Up x 1
  12. Bindlestiff

Some good feedback in this post. I'll add some of my own.

• Easiest gun to use by a mile - CME. Next to no recoil, reasonably versatile. Never really felt as though I brought the wrong gun
    • My 'go to' AR as a support medic outdoors - Corvus. Seems like most Vanu hate it, but it hits hard and I found it decent in situations where there was an even or better chance of success
    • My 'go to' AR as a front line medic outdoors - Terminus.
    • Indoors - H-V45 without a shadow of a doubt. I can only echo the good things that have already been said about this one
    I was never a huge fan of the Pulsar, and the Equinox / NS-11 variants to me were just dire.
    If I had to rate them in some sort of order that made sense to me:

1. Terminus
    2. H-V45
    3. CME
    4. Corvus
    5. Darkstar
    6. Pulsar VS1
    7. Equinox (+variant)
    8. NS-11 (various)
    But:
    The VR suggestion is an absolute must. Try them out both at the range and out in the field. The guns perform very differently in the various situations and according to how you play, so you need to get a good feel for them and pick one (or more) that synergise with your play style.
  13. FieldMarshall

Thats sounds like my playstyle. Probably why i like it.
    I like ADSing pretty much all the time, burst fire and try to go for headshots (doesent always work)

I also like the sound it makes =]
    • Up x 1
  14. eldarfalcongravtank

totally agree! i dont like most VS guns but the Corvus is the exception. it looks and feels great and also makes a cool "pulse rifle" sound. wish more VS weapons would sound as powerful as the Corvus.
    • Up x 1