VS AR Corvus

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by RayDrazon, Jan 7, 2013.

1. RayDrazon

Basically I just want to hear your opinion on this VS AR. This is mostly just a thread of opinions.

The Corvus

Is it worthy of getting?
    At what range does it excel at? How well does it handle itself in other ranges?
    What attachments did you get for this?
    On a scale of 1-100, 100 being the highest, what would you rate it?
    Is it the best AR you have gotten? If so, why? If not, which others beat it and why?

Please post and comment below. Thanks.
  2. KamikazeSquirrel

I purchased this gun with some station cash I got for xmas. I really liked it when I first got it since my only other gun was the default Pulsar VS1.
    It's amazing for long range encounters but does take slightly longer to re-center compared with the default. It makes up for it in much better damage I think. I'm not a numbers guy anymore, so that's just my perception. I found that I'm not nearly as effective up close as compared with the VS1, though. I think that has more to do with my lack of experience keeping it on target going full auto with higher recoil.
    I like the OG-4 (4x) scope on it. I also bought the TriGon-6 (6x) scope, but I found the view too limiting. It made it almost impossible for me to aim in close quarters. I haven't saved up for the high-velocity bullets yet, but I figure that and the laser scope should make it better all around. I don't think it has enough horizontal recoil to justify the forward grip.

I read some good reviews of the H-V45 for close range assault rifle. It looks like it tears stuff up in close/medium range. I haven't been saved up enough certs to deck it out yet, so I couldn't say from personal experience it's better.

I'm also playing around with the Nova shotgun with extended mag. I love imaging the look of shock on the faces of heavies as I take them out with two shots to the face. It seems to take down their shield with ease. I haven't seen any other medics with a shotgun and figured it is probably the last thing people expect.
  3. RayDrazon

Thanks for the reply. I've already gotten a fully decked out H-V45 with Advanced Laser Sight and 1x Reflex Optics and I have to say that it does really well from close-medium range.

I would be content with it but for some reason, the look of laser sights protruding out from the gun annoys the hell out of me. I think it may be my ODC reacting to the less symmetrical gun but I want things to be as symmetrical as possible. Otherwise, I just get a weird feeling that the gun is not right for me. Weird huh?

That's the main reason I want to hear peoples' opinions about the Corvus. For the Corvus, I read that it goes best with the Forward Grip instead of the Laser Sight and since the Forward Grip is symmetrical, (Not protruding to the left or right), it would annoy me a lot less. Also, I figured if I stayed my distance, I would able to be more of a support medic in the back lines and survive a lot more whilst still racking up kills.

So far from the lack of responses, I'm guessing that either this gun is unpopular or people just don't want to share their opinions.
  4. RayDrazon

Wow... Is this gun really that bad? After 3 days and no reply...
  5. grin

Reference for Statistics and DPS comparison:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...dps-over-distance-including-ammo-types.77978/

This is my personal analysis and I would advise you to trial the weapon and others(NS-11A, H-V45) in game before making any decisions.

Corvus Advantages over other AR
    Highest damage per bullet at 167 compared to 143.
    Lowest Shots to kill at 6 body shots and 3 headshots compared to 7 body and 4 headshots.
    Slightly higher damage per clip than NS-11A AR(5010 vs 5005)
    Significantly higher damage per clip than the other Vanu ARs(5010 vs 4290)
    Better short/long reload speeds than CME(+0.6s,+0.6s), NS-11A(+0.2s,+0.05s), H-V45(+0.75s,+0.8s), Equinox(+0s,+0.015s)
    Less than 1/3 the minimum cone of fire while standing still of any AR(0.03 vs 0.1)
    Lowest First shot recoil multiplier of 2x compared to 2.25, 2.75 and 3 of others.

Summary: Corvus is better at single and burst firing while standing still, Is tied for the best damage capacity with NS-11A, takes the fewest shots to kill. Ideally this weapon is used at medium to long ranges where other weapons would have trouble maintaining accuracy while firing at full auto.

Disadvantages
    Worst DPS of any AR at all ranges including different ammo types.
    Worst recoil magnitude at 0.3 compared to 0.2, 0.22, 0.245 of other guns.
    Only AR with "balanced" recoil direction. This cannot be manually compensated for and makes the Foregrip required for ranged accuracy.
    H-V45 and NS-11A have better hipfire accuracy. while moving and still.
    Worse short/long reload speeds than Equinox Burst(-0.075s, -0.1s) and Pulsar VS1(-0.05s,-0.2s)
    Worse ADS move speed multiplier(0.5) than NS-11A and H-V45. Same as others.

Summary: Any situation where full auto is possible will mean any other AR will out damage the Corvus. The Corvus requires a foregrip to deal with it's recoil while the others can be dealt with manually.
  6. RayDrazon

So... Based on your summary, your opinion is that it's not worth it? That's what it sounds like.
  7. grin

It is much much more accurate at range. It will let you make shots at any range that other weapons would not be able to. The others can do better at shorter ranges. Its what flavor of fight you want. Be super amazing at shorter ranges, or be less amazing but at every range. I personally use both the H-V45 and the Corvus. Most of the time I run Corvus because it is simply more versatile with its ability to consistently hit at range. In tower fights and sometimes in Biolabs I use the H-V45.
  8. RayDrazon

9. Kortez12

I think it's absolutely awful. I bought it and certed it up and really liked it at first. The issue with the gun however is that at basically any engagement under 50 yards you will get outgunned by basically any other weapon in the game and you will feel it. In other words your lack of firepower is very noticable. I only use it sometimes and only for very long range fighting. Got the compensator, HVA ammo (prolly not worth it), forgrip and 1x sight since I find anything over 1x unusable on most weapons (but that's just me).

I would highly recomend the HV-45 which you already have. It's the best Vanu AR to me and it's not even close. If you really feel you need a long-range variant I would suggest the NS-11 as I've heard good things about the gun. Your best bet however IMO is the stock pulsar/H-V45 for most fights.
  10. Ender

Press "L" to turn off your laser sight, From what i've seen it just turns the graphic off and not the actual benefit. Could be wrong needs some more testing. Edit* I just checked it in the warpgate, hitting L does nothing to effect the laser sight besides turning off the annoying red light enemies can see. cheers

The Corvus is just a newer weapon in dwindling populations. People have already purchased weapons and so you probably won't see many replies until Update 02 hits and population returns/servers merge/transfers available. I'm sure more people have purchased the weapon and use it, but only a fraction of players in-game actually come in and post on the forums.
  11. Kociboss

I've purchased it and I must say I'm quite happy with it. Although the dps is on a low-end for ARs, the decreased cone of fire is really helpful when it comes to landing your shots.

It's basically a watered down version of Gauss without bulletdrop.

No the best weapon for CQC obviously, but you will win some fights (Mostly because of the high dmg. Slower RoF might help you land more shots if you're careful).

For long range however, I find it superior to H-V45 (Which I stopped using after Aux medal).

HV ammo for Corvus isn't worth it though imo.
  12. grin

Corvus does seem to be outclasses by the other weapons but that is if you play the same way. Corvus has the advantage of being able to consistently place head-shots at any range. If you play using this advantage, you will do well. If not, then you will likely be outclassed by the other weapons.
  13. fawkee

I love my Equinox. a lot of mods and good perform. I won´t missing the undergun grenadlauncher :cool:
  14. Omegabenron

I like it alot often ive run into an encounter and with the more powerful (damage dealing) Corvus I usually win
  15. Grotpar

I find the Corvus to be the most reliable AR to use at range.

I don't recommend a scope, usually the 2x reflex sight is enough.
    Forward grip is mandatory.

The low dps is rather bothersome at close range, but it's not impossible to reliably kill people who are using general purpose or even close quarters rifles. This weapon could use an advanced forward grip, though. Just having the forward grip improves its accuracy to acceptable levels, but it stills jerks a bit.
  16. Kugelfisch

So, I've been using it a lot today. I used it without any attachments.
    You really feel the two main characteristics of this rifle very easily and very soon.
    High damage per shot, low DPS. At medium range it performs pretty well. Killing pretty much everything at full auto or bursts. You can comfortably shoot in bursts because while they don't hit most of the time, you hit every last shot and every shot hurts real bad.
    At long range you have to double tap or single shot. It's pretty much like a weaker semi-auto sniper at that range. Anything but a proper sniper you should outclass.

Short range however is where you never want to be. Unless your opponents aren't bad shots, they will outgun you easily.

So, while the recoil feels kinda harsh it performs pretty well at medium range. Once you are used to it you will be able to stand your ground to most people. Up close you should expect to lose the fight, even when healing yourself. At range the Corvus is King****!
    I used it mostly outside and far away from the enemy and had no problem killing five guys, reviving people and go back to killing about five guys. It's scary how easily you drop far away people but have no chance up close.
    It's situational but in it's situation it's unmatched!