[Suggestion] VR battle arena for warm-up

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HAXTIME, Nov 27, 2017.

1. HAXTIME

Summary
    • To balance faction population differences, a buffer zone is needed.
    • This buffer zone is currently the VR.
    • Instead of idling in VR, allow me to warm up against other players in a deathmatch arena
    -----

So it has been decided that dumping people into purgatory, called VR, is the lesser of two evils (the other one being faction population imbalances).

My idea is that we could re-use the VR map into a deathmatch arena, in which players can compete in a FFA game until their queue is finished. Besides available equipment choices, there are no teams and factions here, it's pure FFA deathmatch.

Additionally (more like, alternatively), a PvP-zone could be made in the current regular VR where players can just compete against their allies, similarly to the VR battle arena mentioned above. In this zone, damage can be dealt, and friendly-fire is not triggered. This is perhaps much easier to implement than an entirely new VR arena.

To encourage players to still prefer the actual continents, deathmatch arena has limitations:
    • no vehicles
    • no directives progression
    • no kills/deaths recorded into player stats
    • 10 XP for killing, no other experience source
    • random respawn point with fast respawn time
    -----

What do you think?
    • Up x 4
  2. Luicanus

I like the concept would you be FFA versus just your own faction or all queuing players?
    It sounds oddly like those Football games that let you practice freekicks in the loading screen.

While we're talking about VR I'd also like to see them add cortium so players can test base-building in there and the ANT mining lasers.
    Presently you must spend certs on the buildings in VR.
  3. HAXTIME

I don't think it matters that much, whichever is easier and cheaper to put in the game. Perhaps simply enabling an in-faction PvP zone inside the current VR would be the simplest to pull off, with some additional buildings layout to facilitate the functionality and some teleporters leading there.

Perhaps the new underground Biolab design could be used for this? Just throw it under the VR facility and add some teleporters leading there.

Precisely, and the concept is the same: you must wait, so you might as well do something at least marginally useful other than simply being bored to death.
    • Up x 1
  4. Halkesh

I like the idea to remplace the purgarory with a FFA mode, but I think a few things should be looked at :
    -Avoiding (new) player confusion between the FFA mode and the standard gameplay. (I include faction color, "you have entered into the FFA area" notification, etc)
    -FFA mode shouldn't make people want to abandon planetside 2 standard gameplay.
    -You shouldn't get xp (best way to ensure people will keep using standard gameplay)

I really love your idea, even if as a VS from cobalt I'll rarely see purgatory.
    https://www.myinstants.com/instant/cs-prepare-to-fight/
    • Up x 2
  5. Luicanus

6. Icehole1999

I like this a lot. I'm on PS4 and there's always an open continent but this would really help people get better.

I would also say no XP gain in FFA. Or vehicles because the VR room is barely big enough to fly around in.
    • Up x 1
  7. Halkesh

Saddly, purgatory is one of the reason I can't play on my side character (both my char are on cobalt). :(
    • Up x 1