[Suggestion] Vote for maps ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by customer548, Oct 11, 2015.

1. customer548

What is more depressing than having to play on Hossin or Amerish only during hours ?
    What is more depressing than having to wait during hours in order to have the choice to play on more "nice looking" and "fluid" maps as Esamir or Indar ?

What about giving the opportunity to let players choose the next map which will be unlocked with a /Votemap ?

(I'm not pretending that Hossin or Amerish maps have no interest, depending on each one's gameplay)
    • Up x 2
  2. Pfundi

Well I do prefer Amerish and Hossin over Esamir, but the idea is nice actually! :D
  3. Silsila

Well, we had the system implemented to get away from Indarside in the first place.
    So implementing a voting system would only bring that back.

So I'd be greatly dissapointed if that would happen.
    There has been a lot better suggestions how to handle continent locking. Macro latice being one of them.
  4. CorporationUSA

I see nothing wrong with the current system, even if it does sometimes only give me hossin and esamir to choose from.
  5. customer548

ATM, the next continent to be unlocked is the oldest to be locked. Why not giving the option to choose the next continent to be unlocked ? It wouldn't change anything about the alerts, continental buffs. Just people expressing their opinion.
  6. FieldMarshall

As long as the secondary map that isnt voted rotates normally through the remaining three.
    So people who dont like the #1 popular always-voted-for map gets to enjoy the game as well.

I see more upsides with this than downsides.
    I hate logging on when an alert is about to end and seeing everyone log off because they dont like the map rotation.
    Letting the majority decide the map rotation would probably be a good idea for retaining more players, and keeping the fights going.
    Especially during off-peak hours.
  7. FateJH

We could always do this game show-like. Continent C has just wrapped up an Alert (NO MORE CONTINENT-LOCKING BECAUSE OF ALERT VICTORY). The first map option is either continent A or continent B. One of them will unlock, but you won't know which one until the vote is over. The second option is a mystery continent that might still be A or B, but you won't know what it is unless you pick it.
  8. Archiadus

Seeing Indar win the vote, every time. :(
  9. Lemposs

So we would essentially never see Hossin again, and Indarside would make a return... I am gonna say no, a big whopping no.
  10. TheFlamingLemon

People have different opinions on maps. A majority of people don't like Hossin, for some reason, which would mean that those who love Hossin like myself are left without it. Not only would this hurt those who like playing on a less aesthetically appealing continent with a trade off of better gameplay, but it would also allow factions to keep their bonuses going if they have a lot of server pop. Say, for instance, the NC and TR both conquer one continent. The TR has 40% server pop, the NC has 30%. Everyone on TR would vote for the NC continent to unlock and so the NC would lose their bonus while the TRs remains.
  11. Scr1nRusher

OP, on each continent are there enemies(or allies if your NC) to kill?

If the answer is YES, then start shooting.
  12. customer548

I agree. So bonuses would have to be randomized, for example.
  13. FateJH

Either I misunderstand what you're saying, or you're misunderstanding what he's saying.

NC has continent A locked and, thus, get the bonus of that continent. TR has continent B locked and, thus, get the bonus of that continent. TR win the Alert on continent C, get that bonus, and a continent has to be unlocked. Under the current system of "longest locked continent gets unlocked," continent B would be the next to be unlocked. By majority vote (almost all from TR overpop), continent A gets unlocked instead, preserving the TR bonus from B and denying the NC their bonus from A. The next Alert happens on continent D and the TR win again through overpop. This time, they let the lock on continent C lapse, because they want to keep the bonus of continent B.

That's what he's saying.

Granted, this does sound rather meta, so the appeal is not lost on me. The problem is that it is meta in the same way as too many things in the game are "meta" - overpop dictates what happens. This game is all about population, yes, but being tyrannical about it is what hurts the game the most, both in impressions and actual gameplay.
  14. customer548

Oups, i got it. Thank you for making it clearer, FateJH.
  15. JojoTheSlayer

No, because:
    CS Lets play Ddust a million times.
    RtcWs Lets play beach a million times (beach was even free in the demo! Why did these guys even buy retail).

Map voting means the easy and boring map "always" (too often) wins.
    I cant stand it tbh... People generally, and I mean generally, do not like a challenge.
    Thats why everyone complained so much about sand storms etc in PS1. It was an extra hamper on the map that was random.
  16. DeadlyPeanutt

better yet, put up a dozen small TDM and CTF maps, balanced, 15 players, maybe a tower, small base, bio lab, hossin nightmare tree base, etc... let the players chose by vote which one they want to play next.

much better yet, let players design the maps and then vote on which ones get put on the servers....

think out of the box boys
  17. zaspacer

Though I'd add your Vote is only effective while you are logged in. Log out and your vote gets dropped. And let players see the Vote standings.

Course this might motivate a lot of people to log out entirely if know the Vote is gonna lock them into places they don't want to go.