Videogames are turning into slot machines

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OSruinedPS1, Mar 17, 2023.

1. OSruinedPS1

When you use to frag someone you would hear a Beavis screaming, or Barney from the Simpsons saying "Ow my heart just stopped", that was satisfying.

Now when you frag someone you get a cha-ching sound effect like you just pulled the lever on a slot machine for the 2,000th time in the last hour. That is not satisfying.

I'm sure appealing to the gambler's instinct is good for business and good for the investor, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, but it sucks for everyone else. Whatever happened to fun.
  2. OSruinedPS1

What we used to play in the 90's:

3. OgreMarkX

Wow. I used to play Mega TF back then too. Dr Kivorkian and his wife, I think named Ambush, made mega TF.

MIRV grenades, needle grenades, napalm grenades. Going prone on the sniper deck. The Heavy had a 20mm mode for his minigun that chewed thru ammo super fast but just destroyed things in front...

I remember one map where the Mega TF designer created the "first" moving vehicle, which was just a blocky rendition of a bus thing that you could activate and it drove straight ahead.

Damn, I loved Mega TF. And Tribes 1 and 2 (NOT Tribes 3, holy hell NO).

No focus on KDR (which is the lazy and terrible "meta" that promotes cheats and exploits and bad game design on top of bad game design).
  4. Shadowpikachu

If you are using recursion you can change the pack, the current kill noise for getting XP is more a slick futuristic digital sound.