[Video] ZOE MAX Comet VM2 - Non intended purpose part 2

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Matti, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Matti

Hi all!

This is my second "Non intended purpose" video and this time I play VS!
    It has already been annaunced that the AV weapons for the MAXes will
    be nerfed against infantry.

The first part in this, soon to bee a series, was with the prowler using AP
    The link to that video is in the description

I hope you like the video
    • Up x 3
  2. Dead soldier

will you use small arms to kill aircraft next time?????
    • Up x 1
  3. Odin

wow nice work, thank god its being nerfed. Being able to kill infantry from that far away is amazing and probably why its being nerfed. Another reason nc gets the short end of the stick, you have such slow speed and drop and a dead zone that falcons are worthless against infantry. Whatever dev decided that each 2 round burst of a comet is a insta kill on infantry needs to be taken out to a woodshed.....
    Nice shooting though.
    • Up x 2
  4. Gav7x

Thankfully theyre getting nerfed, the comets and fractures are AV guns AND AI
  5. neoNEO

Comets are not op, it needs 4 shots to kill infantry, fractures needs 5 shots to kill infantry, falcons only need 2 shots for example. The problem here is ZOE, which modifies the weapon and potentially makes it overpower. ZOE is an offensive ability but the damage taken is not enough to balance it out with the other Maxes, the movement buff that comes with the ability enables you to constantly search for the better place to fire 4 shots. Even if you would need 5 or 6 shots to kill infantry with Comets, it would be the same because with the movement speed from ZOE you can easily evade enemy rockets/bullets, constantly search for cover and immediately enter the battlefield again. If ZOE didn't give the speed buff you wouldn't have time to fire 4 shots in a open battlefield and run for cover without taking a rocket in the face. It just my opinion ..
    • Up x 3
  6. neoNEO

The dead zone of the Falcons is needed, it would be way overpower if you could just 1 shot infantry at 1m or kill a ZOE face to face with just 1 reload, same goes for the TR Max. That would deny the purpose of the ScattMAX
  7. nightbird

Comets and falcons both need two shots to kill, guess which one has no convergence issues and 2 shots per clip :)
  8. neoNEO

No, you need 4 comet projectiles to kill 1 infantry and 2 falcon projectiles to have the same effect, i have the tests and i can post here the video. In theory that means more time out of cover to kill someone, but ZOE denies that because you can dodge enemy fire and the speed buff enables you to go in and out of battle really quick. All "average" weapons become "good" when its supported by this totally unbalanced ability called ZOE.
    • Up x 2
  9. Matti

It's a good idea! I have some clips doing that but they have never been put together in
    a single video. The "Non intended purpose" is a new series that I hope I will continue
    with for as long as I play Planetside :)
  10. Dead soldier

More dalton videos please. Watching you with the dalton helps me hit aircraft in game with it. I'm getting better but took a break for a little. Now it is bad and I can't hit the mossie right infront of the dalton gun.
    • Up x 1
  11. Matti

Oh sry, I just deleted what would have easily filled up 3 videos of dalton vs ESF. I have covered that so much :/
  12. Mxiter

Isn't it 3 comets shots to kill infantries?
    ZoE (lvl3-4) put it to 2 shots btw.

It's certainly the best 1generation MAX AV weapon since it's have a very low convergence, no drop-no recoil (compared to to poors falcons and pounders) and a very interesting ROF/damages/reload time.
    It's also synergises very well with ZoE.

Falcon and pounders synergises also well with Aegis/lockdown (reload and ROF), but ZoE by it's nature makes it certainly the best AV max weapon under 100m range.

Get ZoE+dual comets and you get the best all rounder AI/AV weapond avalable for max.
  13. Tenebrae Aeterna

I love the comets, so long as you have good AIM...you're a hell of a beast.
  14. neoNEO

Yes, without ZOE its 3 to 4 comet shots, with lvl 1 ZOE is only need 2 shots to kill. So the problem isn't the comets, they are perfectly fine compared to others ( fast projectile, medium damage, need good aim ), the problem here is ZOE that unbalances weapons and their purpose.
  15. Pikachu

Comets require 4 shots without ZOE.

Comets can only kill with 2 shots at certain range with max ZOE. Old comets could do that always though. ;) Comet does have a short convergence point but it's only about 10m. Falcon and pounder has ~30m. Raven, vortex and fracture has 0.

Old falcon sniping. :D
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  16. Pikachu

All AV weapons are being nerfed both in infantry damage and the convergence ability is replaced by parallel trajectories it seems. It is the latest stuff on the test server. I bet the falcon description won't change even though they will not be worse than ever against MAXes.
  17. MajiinBuu

You should try taking out aircraft with comets.
    It is extremely satisfying
  18. neoNEO

They could bring back the old Falcons and keep ZOE with comets, no problem for me :p
  19. Ceskaz

Falcon has a better max speed than comet, the problem lie in the initial velocity of falcon, which is damn slow... (wasn't an issue on the first generation Falcon). It also have this convergence issue.

Matti, in your video, you say you're not interested in weapons stats, but on how you use the weapons. The issue is clearly demonstrated in your video : ZOE MAX with comet is far too versatile and you can use it in a lot a situation and this should not be the case in MAX gameplay (or no to this extend)
  20. Takoita

I've met a Raven NC MAX who knew what they were doing in the situation much like the one at ~6 min mark in the OP's video just yesterday - they were at about the place Matti was. It did not kill our MAXes nearly as quickly as some of the Comet + ZOE encounters I've had, but it was still enough to not let any of our MAXes to get past the first landing at that staircase (and there were a couple of NC MAXes of the regular splatgun variety waiting behind that one to discourage any quick rushes past that doorway).

I'd say it puts the weapon at the 'better than the current Falcon and Pounder' category (but that's not saying much, to put it mildly).

I'm not entirely sure what I think about the MAX AV efficiency decrease announcement.

On one hand, the amount of things that can kill a player before they have time to react is quite numerous already, so maybe toning things down in explosive goodness department will be for the better. It could also be a step towards differentiating strictly AV explosive goodness and strictly AI explosive goodness; for example, let's force HA to choose between anti-tank rocketlauncher and anti-infantry grenadelauncher/flamethrower/lasher/jackhammer/MCG/whatever - having a weapon loadout universally useful in any given situation is one of the most common complaints about ESF already, wouldn't it be also prudent to extend the same towards infantry clusterfudges?

On the other hand, if MAX AV loses a significant amount of AI effectiveness even further, they will effectively become defenseless against infantry - they have neither sidearms nor the ability to switch firemodes/ammo types without mucking about in the infantry terminal screen after all. This would make their use outside of voicechat coordinated squads... well, not totally useless but somewhere near that for sure. This will also likely cause the AV effectiveness itself to go up (or at least it should, in theory; Skyguard - or all other Lightning tank variants for that matter - not having a second weapon does not exactly fill me with hope), which would kinda negate the increased durability the tanks have got and would make MAX whiners - such as myself - sad.

Besides, what about Pounder and Falcon (and battle rifles, but that's not here nor there)? Making it easier to hit targets that actually move would be a good start; but wouldn't it make them 'more of the same'? I realise that frag cannons that graced test a while back are unlikely to return, but MAX weapons with that kind of niche use either need that level of deadliness to justify their use, or they need to have actual 'sidearm'/'mode switch' to fall back on for self-defense; but I still hope there would be something done make Pounder and Falcon better. Good DPS on paper doesn't mean squat if none of that hits your target - and that weaponry doesn't have even that even in ideal circumstances that their operators are unlikely to achieve outside of VR.