[Video] Why not balance? 25 K/D with none Certed MAX...

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Matti, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Matti

...except dual burster.

Hi all!

Yes, I had to try this out some more to see if maby I missed something.
    Is there a weakness with the MAX that I have just not seen yet?
    It's not a "lone wolf" unit maby, but in a game like Planetside 2,
    rarely will you get much done alone.

So a few more thoughts about balance, MAXes and my question
    still remains: Why did this need a buff?
    • Up x 5
  2. Purg

Buffs? What buffs? There were a few new empire specific abilities and some balancing of weapons. My NC main got significant nerfs in fire rate, magazine size and pellet spread of all my AI weapons. My VS MAX just received a nerf on Vortex damage.

AI work, you won't get many that'll argue that the MAX isn't strong - many magnitudes stronger when it has a pocket engineer. AV work, you'll probably find that most threads here are asking for nerfs, not buffs (except perhaps the Vortex against infantry..)
  3. Paqu

Well all max suit options are now basically 2x more effective than they used to.
  4. malden

Maxs are not lone wolf vehicles any more than an Esf should be. Its one man vehicle against another one man vehicle how much more fair need it be?
  5. Jkar

You play MAX like you play regular infantry in that video. Taking cover right away and looking for repairs once you get a bit of damage and participate in a farm where you wait for people to come inside a room instead of actively hunting down their spawn point. Yeah in those situations you can kill ***** and farm a lot but it's not really helping either. Instead of pushing out you stay back in cover, of course you don't need any upgrades for that but if you were to actively go on the offensive there and try to stop the flow of troops by going through them or around them you would need more durability to support your team mates.

As I mentioned in your other thread, MAXes are fire support in an offensive or defensive manner. Offensive usually means you're a breaching unit, pushing through heavy fire into a room so your squishy infantry can follow and secure it. As you probably noticed, you do take more hits than regular infantry but you will still die very very fast to focused fire. How would the MAX be able to fulfill this role with less durability and what should his role be in your perception of 'balance'? The MAX can't do anything on his own, it is balanced in that it needs support to do anything and if you're just one guy at a base you will lose it if you don't throw away your MAX suit to flip that point back or stop a gen from blowing. The MAX can and will never replace infantry.

You also constantly talk about skill and comparing learning to use Bursters vs learning to fly an ESF but never mentioned how you would accomplish that and how it's suppose to work according to your ideals. Overall Bursters are rather easy to use if the concept of leading a target isn't foreign to you, but compared to a lot of other weapons they still require more skill than for example AV turrets, lock on launcher or indeed regular infantry weapons.

The only real option for ESF vs Burster balance I see is to remove rocket pods and make ESF into something like an interceptor unit as dedicated Liberator and Galaxy hunters and their only option against ground would be the nose gun. Then we could rework Bursters to be used mainly against Liberators as they would be your biggest threat from the air and they would be harder to use against ESF as well.
    • Up x 9
  6. Liewec123

the reason you're doing great with default max is that you're playing it similar to the other classes, glancing round the corner, firing and then ducking back, plus you had engineers around all the time, plus you were with alot of allies, plus you never took a decimator to the face, plus you never got C4'd.
    plus you seem to be a rather experienced player,
    i've just watched one of your videos were you're racking up lots of kills as an engineer,
    so please don't pretend like its your first time playing the game and you're only killing things because you picked max.
    i could link you vids of medics getting huge kill streaks which have no basis on the amount of balance around the class.
  7. Almaru

The MAX is hands down the best infantry class in the game, at least when it comes to AA and AI.
    But it's all dependant on your skill as a MAX user, how many enemies there are, if you're getting repaired constantly, revived or not.

A MAX can definitely be used by a lonewolf to devastating effect's, but at the same time, the MAX wont perform as good alone, as it would in a squad.
    Sure it has a lot of HP, sure it has strong abilities depending on the situation and your loadout, but at the same time, it sacrifices its mobility, ability to use vehicles and is essentialy when it comes down to it a HA without the shield, but double the HA's hp.

It's a unit that is purely used for killing and nothing else (except the NC MAX with its shield, which can now be used to shield the wounded and allow combat medics to revive people even out in the open)

Pro's of MAX: A stronger HA with more versatility in all regards when it comes to killing thing's.
    Can be used by lonewolf's to great extent with a bit of practice.
    Can break heavily defended areas even with AV and AA weaponry.
    Can act as a meatshield for troops behind it, allowing for squads to utilize its high HP value to charge through enemy fire.
    Can be revived, Can be repaired while being shot at and has easy access to ammo.
    Has the best AA in the game.

Con's: Slow movement.
    Cant use vehicles.
    Is the first target in most people's eye's, simply due to its killing power and defense capability.
    It's very easy to hit even at range with most weapon's.
    Can be countered by every class in the game, depending on their weapon and skill.
    Can be killed by a single LA, HA or even Engineer very easily due to their accessability to explosives.

It's strong, very very strong, but also has several weaknesses.
    I agree that bursters need a toning down, reduction in damage or that it needs a reduction in effective range.

In its AV duty im not sure, i've only used the Vortex's in the past month and they didn't seem TOO overpowered or strong.

In AI, it needs to be strong in order to work at its best.
    It would be a worthless unit if it did less damage or had lower HP.
    It would not be a unit many people would pull if it was literaly worse than a single HA (currently its as strong as Two HA's basicaly)

Personaly, the new abilities for each MAX dont bother me too much.
    Sure ZOE is strong, lockdown is OP with bursters and AV weapons, Aegis shield improves survivability for the NC MAX with their shotguns etc.

But i believe we need more time to see if people can come up with viable counters to these abilities.
    Or wait until ZOE gets slightly nerfed, Lockdown no longer affecting bursters at all.

Off topic: So, you're on Woodman now? Been testing out my own new TR alt there (couldn't resist the red colours or the Mossie anymore..) Hope you're having fun there, maybe i'll run into you and help you out at some point :p
    FrostQuell has joined the dark side to kick *** and chew bubblegum!
    But.. damned TR kiosk only had ice cream left, now its melted on Indar's desert ground.. Sigh.

If you ever see FrostQuin in the sky, dont laugh at my horrible flying skills with the mossie!
    Im not used to ESF's going where I want them to.. Especialy not with such insane speed!

Have a good one Matti.
    Oh and watch out for the VS guys in the outfit called ''IP'', they scare me with their organized zerg play..
    • Up x 1
  8. Matti

Thanks for feedback!

Yes I have a few friends on Woodman and as they can't move their chars. to Cobalt, I just
    made another one there so we at least can play together a bit from time to time =)
    They were not online here though
  9. Spookydodger

• MAXes do have some pretty severe weaknesses.
    • For one, they still don't have weapon optics, so smoke grenades render them quite blind while infantry can use IR/NV. I found this little trick today and mowed down quite a few MAXes.
    • They generally can't avoid missiles or explosives as well as infantry can, except the ZOE MAX, but that is even more easy to see.
    • Flash grenades, concussion grenades, and even EMP grenades can severely hamper a MAX.
    • Generally speaking, a MAX without friendly support is just as vulnerable as a regular soldier.

The thing about MAXes is that they are not *quite* the same as regular infantry. Regular infantry are like infantry in other FPS games. They have largely the same traits as most people are used to dealing with. MAXes are like boss fights in action games: a final exam using all the tricks you have learned before to exploit a particular weakness to achieve victory.

Sadly, most people just aren't capable of bridging that gap.

It's like saying that Gravity is OP because many people run into the ground or into a vehicle after doing a rocket-pod run. Not because Gravity is some incredible power, but because most can't extend their behavior interaction with the world beyond walking along the ground.
    • Up x 1
  10. Jcup99

Fighting off one nc at a time with a traveling engi isn't that rediculous. Looked like a ton of randoms walking single file into a trap. regardless a max or not you could stacked some kills there if you had a medic and you were just infantry.
  11. Almaru

Ah I see :)

Hopefully the server transfer token will come out soon in PS2, so your friends and you can get together on a server without having to start over on a new character :p

By the way, you still play quite often on cobalt right?
    I dont like the TR on woodman.
    Got shot several times last night by friendly infil's from a distance away and had my precious ESF blown up while restocking and repairing, by HA TR people :(

Are the TR on cobalt a bit friendlier?
    I know the VS on cobalt barely has TK'ers, but the TR is a mystery to me :p
  12. ladiesop

Hi, when was this video made?

At the moment, Woodman seems to be having a massive influx of newbie players, which explains why a lot of the infantry are coming in one at a time taking on your MAX head on (and Heavies not getting their launcher out).
  13. GSZenith

watching sc2 atm so will mock you later, also k/d matters? brb making a new char only using noob tube.
  14. GSZenith

[PIC] Why not balance? 8.3 K/D with none Certed LA...

well i did have NV scope, sue me. (i do better without one on NC stock funny enough, but was bio) point is i can sit and farm that 1 poor guy running into a room/enternce with 50 friendlies behind me, and ofc i can push when there is only 2 enemies coming as well :(.
    oh yeah wanna know a max secret? i can't get from warpgate to anywhere i want in 2min unless 1 galaxy drives me around (lol right) being spawn camped? oh nothing to do have to wait on timmer.

[IMG]
  15. simmi1717

With how strong and versatile maxes are at the moment they should not be revivable. Maxes require the lowest skill to play and I think max players are either noobs that can't do anything else or high BR players that are just trying to farm certs that they need to buy something useful on another class. Or high ranked players that don't like a challenge and want to play in easy mode.
    • Up x 2
  16. simmi1717

Maxes are revivable. ESFs and vehicles aren't
    • Up x 1
  17. simmi1717

Wow this video is great dude. Thanks for making this. I always found it ridiculous how easy maxes are to play and how hard ESFs are to fly and it just boils my blood when I see ret*rds posting threads or leaving posts about "no skilled infantry farming with lolpods". I created a thread about "When are burster maxes getting nerfed". Please post your video on this thread of mine.
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/when-are-bursters-getting-nerfed.131069/
  18. Jkar

What a great logic you have there, if a MAX would have such a low skill requirement why doesn't every newbie player run around with them instead of all the 'high BR players' that don't need to farm certs anymore? Default MAX sucks, you need to invest heavily into it before it becomes usable and it's only versatile when you're near an equipment terminal. If not you're stuck in the role you are right now.

A MAX can be a great challenge because (aside form ZOE) you're rather slow and an easy target. Every unskilled player will die in seconds from all the rockets, C4 and bullets being thrown at them. It just seems we have another player that doesn't understand the concept of a fire support and breaching unit in this game and just sees it as another team deathmatch. Feel free to scroll up and read my first response to this thread.
    • Up x 2
  19. simmi1717

lol you just proved my point. Default max sucks? Maybe you should realize which thread you are posting this comment in. The OP got 25 KDR with a default max. When I just started using the max I got similar results. I stopped playing it for how easy it was. And if you are dying as a max and not doing well with it, then you are a noob player. With any other class you would be doing even worse.
    • Up x 1
  20. Jkar

25 KDR while playing a MAX by hiding behind friendly infantry as if his new paint coat might get damaged, doing nothing productive but farm idiots coming through a door. If you're playing like that you do nothing worthy of mention for your team. I'd compare that to some ESF hover spamming rocket pods on an already surrounded enemy spawn room while ignoring the Libs / ESFs / tanks farming your Sunderer are killing off your offense from behind.

A MAX has it's durability not because he's meant to hide behind regular infantry but to actively help in progressing a fight and pushing into situations where every other soldier would die instantly by just turning a corner.
    • Up x 3