[Video] Weighing the Anchor

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by ArielFox, Dec 21, 2012.

1. ArielFox

Ahoy! *end bad puns*

Picked up the Anchor. Impressions for the curious:

A member of the outfit loved his trial and bought it, and ended up kitting it for longer range work (can't say I saw it being great for that, but you can never tell). I'm wondering how many people use it as a mainstay now, and with what configurations.

Or has the price meant the GD-22S remains the lmg of choice for close work (based on outfit member loadouts incidentally)?
    • Up x 7
  2. Novmiech

Excellent review IMO.
  3. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Great review.
    Now, i won't ever be in the position to contemplate the use of this one, but still a great review; Shows everything important about the gun, pros and cons, personal opinion, and a decent footage of fights in multiple range bands.
    Looks pretty good as a shotgun replacement, though.
  4. ArielFox

Thank you kindly :)

It's basically great if you can't afford to take a shotgun due to their extremely close range limit. If the 22S is for further out, then the Anchor's geared for the closer end. The cost is what has stopped some of the outfit's heavies investing though :/
  5. Raithwall

As a Heavy who invested in the Anchor I have to say I am very pleased with my purchase. Granted the small ammo clip and rate of fire can be quite a pain in the butt, but once you get comfortable with its kick you'll never look for another weapon. I would recommend everyone to try this weapon out and remember that once you fit it out the kick isn't so bad. s(o.o)b I support this video
    • Up x 1
  6. HerpTheDerp

Sorry but beyond the lower first shot recoil(which, to be perfectly honest, is really not that big of a deal) there isn't a single reason why GD-22S would be better at longer ranges. If anything, it's the Anchor that has faster bullet speed by default, which means you need to lead less, and accuracy/recoil values are identical for both guns.

And how would anyone kit out Anchor for long range when it doesn't have HVA or the Compensator?
  7. boom boom

I've not used the gd22s but I love the anchor for cqb, the rof is great and recoil is easily controlled, I use the default lmg with the fire grip and compensator for open longer range engagements but for base assaults or defence the anchor shines. If you want a long range lmg the anchor is not it. I use the 2x mill dot sight which suits it just fine.
  8. ArielFox

Hell knows, heaven suspects. He said he'd put 4x glass on it. He was doing perfectly well (admittedly by his own account) but you can see that kind of play is really taking the Anchor into the other LMGs' turf.

As to the first part, there's a couple of reasons, but the one I can explain easiest is simply with less initial kick (remember that the further out you go the more amplified the effect will be) and slower RoF the 22S user is able to compensate and adjust more easily. Sustained fire at those ranges is not really a viable choice, save for the purposes of suppression, so the point is made in anticipation of 2/3 round burst fire or single shots.

I'm not going to attempt calculating the kind of dispersion you could expect at longer ranges...
  9. o.Solei.o

This is very well done, I hope you do some more of these. :)

EDIT:
    How do you feel it compares to shotguns with slugs?
  10. ArielFox

Cheers - I plan to on a steady basis.

Now there's one I'm not sure about - I haven't used a slug shotty so I couldn't say...
  11. X3Killjaeden

i didn't really feel a any noticeable improvement over the gd-22 at all when trialing it. The only reason i can see this gun beeing better is because of the adv. lasersight which i wasn't able to trial obviously, but the base stats don't seem to be better.
  12. HerpTheDerp

GD-22S vs. Anchor in numbers:
    Reload speed: 3.44/4.3 vs. 3.075/4.1
    First shot recoil multiplier: 1.5x vs. 2.25x
    RoF: 577 vs. 600
    Projectile velocity: 580 vs. 600

+ Anchor can have Soft Point Ammo and Adv. Laser Sight.

All other stats are identical.
  13. Quor

Excellent review. Would you be able to post this in my NC LMG thread? That would be great.
  14. Quor

15. ArielFox

16. Quor

That'd be pretty sweet. I'd do it if I had any skill whatsoever in video recording/editing. And a sweet accent :(
  17. Mojo_man

I've been sitting on my last 1000 SC since the 3x sale the other day. Now I know how I'm gonna spend it. :)
  18. RobinTheRude

Interesting review. Strange to see the NC's counterpart to the MSW-R costs ten times as much, though. I've never been killed by an Anchor as far as I can remember, and it's a damn shame we're seeing every 'serious' NC Heavy use the EM6.
  19. ArielFox

Enjoy mate :D

Proliferation is...virtually non-existent as far as I've been able to tell. I guess it just sits in an uneasy bracket that gets it overlooked. The more close range focused heavies I play with have migrated to it as weapon of choice though.
  20. Pivke

this video caught my attention a couple days ago. i was looking for a specific weapon for close ranges (biolabs, tech plants and stuff)
    so firstly i trial it. and today i bought it and test it extensievly. upgraded with suppressor, advanced laser sights, soft ammo and 1x reflex sight. i am very happy with my purchase :) it works like a charm.
    i normally use EM6 in most situations, but Anchor delivers exactly where EM6 is lacking. close range and its not too shabby at all on medium ranges either. well worth the cert points :)

and another thing i noticed: if you get in a HUGE fight (like when two zergs meet, or the Crown), this is the weapon you want! because this game has sh!tty low render distance in big fights. you wont even see the enemies before they come in your effective range :) so there is no real drawback in these situations.