[Video] VX29 Polaris Weapon Review

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by freeze, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Pouk3D

I like Polaris. I find it to be a stable mid/long range weapon with sufficient accuracy and a steady non-ending stream of bullets. I do try to keep a bit of a distance though, since in close range I prefer fire rate and damage over large magazine any day and Polaris doesn't really work for me as a CQC weapon. But with a grip and compensator you are a perfect mid-range support light machine gunner. And I also really like it with supressor and NV scope at night, that feels almost like cheating. Good for engaging multiple enemies from 20 meters or more. Surprisingly alright at long ranges.
    The cost? Yeah. But as someone said earlier, what weapon's cost is justified anyway in this game.
  2. CloudsonAcid

My experience with the gun is different than yours (I'm not saying it's a good gun), what I mean is you went compensator + grip, I went for advanced laser sight only (no suppressor or compensator).

Pros:
    Large magazine
    Great hip fire (you claim in the video the hip fire is terrible, without using the adv laser sight, so obviously it was bad for you)
    Ok velocity (not the highest, not the lowest)
    Minimal recoil (pretty sure it's lowest of all LMG's for Vanu)

Cons:
    Long reload (negated by large magazine, reloading in combat is a death, but I almost never reload in combat)
    Slow RoF (ridiculously slow, which brings me back to never having to reload in combat, but horrible TTK)
    No HV Ammo (I prefer not to use soft point as I'm often engaging in enemies at range)

I agree that this weapon is a weird, and that it is definitely not our best, but it has great hip fire aim (with Adv Laser Sight) and without needing to reload ever, assuming I am good with my aim (lots of HS) then I will kill them, but with this ridiculous RoF it's very hard to knock down an enemy quick

I like your review, I do, I just wish you'd tried Adv Laser sight and maybe you would enjoy the gun a bit more (foregrip/compensator is nice combo, but with such a low recoil you'd be better off using the Laser sight).

In conclusion: gun is really weird and I mostly agree with what you said (though I do use it on my Heavy Assault as I love the massive amount of bullets).
    • Up x 1
  3. kukuman

@op polaris is good with lvl2 laser and a scope now , hipfire and singleshot a range
    take sva88 if you ads
  4. Maarvy

Well I use this gun all the time .

Theres more acurate **** at long range and theres more dps in cqb from others .

However with adv lazer u can pump this mfer from the hip up to mid range and lay down a pretty constant stream of damage , a good solid allrounder imo and the only lmg I have on a permenant loadout for my heavy assault .

If I want cqb dps I use a shotgun

If I want ranged acuraccy I use my elidon battle rifle .

Sorry freeze =)
    • Up x 1
  5. TheEvilBlight

Bumping this old thread up again, since Polaris is the daily deal weapon.
  6. UnDeaD_CyBorG

So, I bought the Polaris for the 350 SC, spend a bucketload of certs on it, and I stand to my previous, uneducated opinion.
    I haven't been regretting it since, the gun is incredible.
    Deadly accurate in sustained fire, still good projectile speed, and I really found the huge magazine a boon when cleaning rooms with Adrenaline Shield active. It was mildly irritating to think "It should empty now" in the middle of a firefight.
    However, where there's light, there is shadow.
    I can relate to your assessment that it's too expensive for what it does, I got it for half the SC price, and 1000 certs would be a hard bargain.
    The weapon is one of very few -if not the only- weapons with a horizontal recoil that's higher than it's vertical, a combination of the lowest vertical recoil found amongst LMGs combined with a silly high horizontal recoil, though it's manageable due to being so utterly predicable right-sided.
    Curiously, this makes the foregrip a really good choice on this gun; and since using this, for testing with a 6x scope and 2x reflex for long range fire, I really got a better feel on firing short bursts, ironically a skillset more suited to other weapons.
    As well, the advanced Laser Sight makes this gun a great close in weapon, with my setup of choice being Adv. Laser, Suppressor, and HV/IR scope, though a faster killing weapon could end up doing the same job better.
    This interestingly was the first time I used a suppressor, and while I never cared for the disadvantages of a compensator, there is something to be said for moving through a base getting the occasional random kill after expending distinctly uneconomical amounts of ammunition, and no one but the guy you killed took notice.

In the end, as much as I thought your review focusing on the cost was not an accurate representation of the abilities of this piece, I'd say my opinion isn't, either, for it opened my mind to successful play styles that might be better served by a different gun.
    • Up x 2
  7. RobotCriminal

I really have to disagree, I own several of the VS LMGs and the Polaris is by far my favorite for QCQ.

What really makes it so beastly in my opinion is that because of the really low single direction recoil with a foregrip (it feels almost negligible after you get used to it) and good base hipfire accuracy you really don't need to run a laser sight at all.

Remember that a weapon that pulls only one horizontal direction (right in this case) has a huge advantage over one that pulls both ways since you can compensate for a one way pull once you get the feel for it. The same can't be said about left-right recoil which just shakes. Run a 2x reflex sight, foregrip, and don't bother trying to ADS if you are point blank, you are going to hit him in the head anyway.

Better yet, with this setup you also really don't have an issue if you get into a mid range fight either, you can just sit there and hose a group of enemies with your 100 round mag and super low recoil until you are out of ammo.

Only really big drawback is that the reload speed is horrible, but if you aren't taking cover while reloading a LMG you probably deserve what is coming to you anyway.
  8. Kastrenzo

Polaris is and T32 Bull are the most confused LMGs in the game.

Polaris is a hipfire gun with a mediocre rate of fire
    T32 is made for short range, but it's the most accurate TR LMG in the game.