[Video] VX29 Polaris Weapon Review

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by freeze, Jan 29, 2013.

1. freeze

yo :)

new review's out... hope you guys enjoy it.

let me know what you think about the gun....
    but don't forget you have to admit, that you bought that POS ;)
    • Up x 2
  2. DemoEvolved

Looks like they were planning on putting together a long range "save as..." of the LSW but they forgot what they were doing in the middle, so they forgot to rerig the attachments to support it.
    • Up x 1
  3. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Looking just at the stats (only trialed it so far, so I can't say much more), I kind of can't agree with the assessment.
    Mainly, it seems to me that the only real critique you have is that it's too expensive for what it does.
    It looks like a massive improvement over the Pulsar to me, yes, lower firerate and thus higher ttk, but the pure option to put a compensator on it is in my opinion worth the increased price; After all, those weapons are meant to be sidegrades, and there's only so much I can do to improve my weapon.
    Though admittedly I wouldn't buy it for certs.
    Higher projectile speed and way lower first shot recoil multiplier, + the option to potentially put a 6x Scope on it(which I won't ever do), make it look like a decent long range gun to me, like someone took a Pulsar and made a long range version of it.
    The Adv. Laser Sight certainly makes it decent at CQC as well, after all, aiming down the sights is the time the enemy could be dead in at <5m; But Laser and Softpoint Ammo are ultimately genuinely unfitting;
    I'm still waiting on an SC discount, though if it had HV ammo and an Adv. Grip instead of what it does, I'd buy it immediately.

All that said, I commend you on making a video for it, and I'll watch the last minutes now. Edit: Or later. Took me 10 minutes to even watch the first 5, youtube's bugging out.
    • Up x 1
  4. NDroid

I'll agree that it's not worth the 1000 cert price but it's not a bad gun. It is unusual in its characteristics as it combines properties of both CQC and long range weapons but that's not necessarily a bad thing- it allows you to have different configurations for different situations. Personally, I find the low recoil and first shot multiplier combined with the grip and compensator to give very impressive results at mid-long range (even compared to the LSW), and the 100 round magazine is very nice to have as well.

I haven't yet tried the Adv. Laser Sight in CQC combat, would be interesting to see how it performs, although the RoF isn't optimal for it.
  5. freeze

ya, it's not like I wanted to say it's a bad gun, but that it's just "unfinished" and it's not filling a niche or anything.

it's just really weird as it is right now imo
  6. Fraya

Gun that has attachments to go both long range or cqc.. whats the problem again?

All I heard was "this gun kinda sucks" as he holds down the fire button instead of bursting and 1x reflex scopes people at ranges NC consider sniper/semi auto only and then turns a corner and cqcs someone without having to change attachments.
  7. IamSalvation

I have it and use it over Orion and Pulsar LSW for as my Main Weapon.

I use it with Adv. Laser and i think it makes it a real good CQC Weapon. Yeah, could have a bit more RPM but its working as it is. I tried the Orion with Laser and 50 Rounds is just not enough to Hipfire like crazy if someone is running away from you.

For mid range its ok, just like the LSW.

Perhapse its not worth 1k Certs but hey... which weapon in this game is? ITs all just sidegrades and its good that you can´t buy power in this game imho
    • Up x 1
  8. pnkdth

I share your views. I used it for awhile but only because I had buyer's remorse. Pulsar LSW or Ursa is a much much better choice depending if you want mid range or long range capabilities. So yeah, stay far far far away from from the VX29 Polaris, it is a LMG that doesn't know what it wants to be.
    • Up x 1
  9. freeze

giving a pistol a 6x scope doesn't make it good at long range :)
    same with this gun... the stats point at a CQC weapon, so does the adv laser sight... but some other attachments are just totally out of place and are simply a waste on a gun like that.

And I have never said that the gun sucks... the gun is just way overpriced.
    and pls leave out the faction bias....
    concerning the 1x reflex... that's all I use... iron sights or 1x reflex; you wont catch me with anything else. so I'm used to firing with it at ALL ranges.

if you use your LMGs as hipfire guns, then yes, this is the gun you want, hands down :)

when I was talking about the price, it was always in reference to the Pulsar price.
    the weapons are nearly identical stat-wise

concerning the side-grade comment... I think there are weapons that are flat-out better than the rest.
  10. Fraya

The way I interpreted the guns stats and attachments options is "this is a full auto sniper rifle but if you want to cqc with this your gonna need an adv laser sight to compensate for its low fire rate".. apparently you just thought it was meant to be a sub par cqc gun with random long range attachments for no reason.

No faction bias was really intended just saying that I'm used to the gauss saw and when I see someone with a gun with no attachments that's easier to use than a fully certed saw and they complain about it I just want to kick a puppy... think of the puppies! :p

I mean I love my saw but half the fight is against my own gun.

I think the main difference between them is the attachments.. I cant seem to find a chart that lists the available attachments for each weapon but I'm guessing the Pulsar doesn't get a foregrip and/or suppressor?

Typically the pricing goes default free but doesn't excel in any single way, next tier is cheap and is a little better at one or two roles but stays flexible then you get the 1000 cert guns that are awesome at a specific role but sub par at all others.

Considering the polaris looks like a full auto sniper rifle that's only meh at mid and short range Id say it fits the description of a 1k cert weapon.
    • Up x 1
  11. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Well, in the LMG section, I certainly can't find any for VS.
    Every LMG has a strength the others don't.
    Honestly, I think it is plainly a long range gun, with the soft-point being out of place.
    It's a Pulsar with lower firerate, but the option for a compensator and higher projectile speed.
    Pretty much what the SVA-88 is to the Orion. edit: Same goes with reload and mag size.^^
    In CB, where more attachments were available, those I know that used it used it primarily for Long range fighting.
    Obviously, the Ursa didn't exist back then...

Edit: Totally ninja'd. I suppose I kind of agree with that assessment as well.
    Still, a solid review like all your reviews. But hey, I didn't buy it yet.^^ I'd cost me the same SC as a Lasher, it can hardly get that much worse. :D If I regret it, I'll come back and retroactively agree with you. ;)
    • Up x 1
  12. Fraya

Well the soft point does kind of make sense if you kit it for cqc as the higher default muzzle velocity will counteract some of the soft point drop. I guess its better than no ammo options at all since they cant give HV ammo or it would just be ridiculous.

Sorry :)
  13. UnDeaD_CyBorG

You even managed to put down another post while I was doing another edit! You're doing it on purpose! :p
  14. freeze

oh, I'd trade you the saw any day of the week :)
    I have a NC alt with a fully cert'ed one and mygod that thing is a beast :)

it does get those attachments.
    Foregrip and Suppressor.
    it also gets the "normal" laser sight.

it got no special ammo, but when you look at those attachments and then at the price then you realize, that it's a cheap gun with the bare-minimum of attachments, but with really nice stats.

well, I can agree with you there

but I see 1 weapon that's a blatant rip-off ;)

hehe, cheers man, you do that :D
  15. Fraya

Oops my bad I meant foregrip and compensator not suppressor.
  16. freeze

nah it doesn't get a compensator.
  17. Ruvan

Disagree entirely. The VX29 Polaris is a great weapon. You brush over the fact that VX29 Polaris like it doesn't matter. It does. It matters a lot. That is entirely the point of the weapon.

The VX29 Polaris has a much lower CoF Stand Hip Sprint than the Orion (7 versus 5) and barely higher CoF Stand Hip Move ( 3 versus 3.25). That's without Advanced Laser Sight. I don't know about you but I spend a lot of time sprinting and sometimes use sprint in CQC, I want a low CoF Stand Hip Sprint.

Furthermore, if you're against a good player in CQC then they will be performing evasive moves, meaning you're going to miss a lot. If you're going to miss a lot then you want a weapon with a low CoF bloom per time period. That's the VX29 Polaris. If you miss a lot with the Orion then you will quickly find you have a massive CoF due to the high RoF. Even if you only get 1 additional shot in due to the CoF of the VX29 that massively outweighs the tiny 15% TTK difference between the VX and Orion.

The VX29 Polaris is also quite a good ADS weapon as well. If you do the maths for the recoil over 500ms or 1 second VX29 Polaris is the lowest recoil LMG in the game, not to mention it pulls right consistently. This means that it has the longest effective range you can do sustained fire at. Not to mention you are less accurate at longer ranges, so the low CoF increase due to the lower RoF comes in handy here as well.

Reload speed on a weapon with 100 magazine size is close to irrelevant. That's usually enough to kill 6-7 people. You can choose when you want to reload.

LMGs might not be particularly great at actually killing a single person in close range, however, if you aren't engaging other classes at close range (bar MAX), you are not using Heavy Assault to its full potential. LMGs have high magazines, which is great for fights involving lots of inaccurate fire (e.g. CQC) and Heavy Assault have the built in advantage of having a shield (i.e. 80%+ more effective health in an in your face encounter). If you aren't going in to short range then you risk good players using the superior recoil of carbines and assault rifles, as well as cover to reduce the potential of your shield, to their advantage.
    • Up x 2
  18. freeze

there are some valid points Ruvan, but my biggest gripe with the weapon is its price.

of course the Polaris has advantages as well.
    but they are either so minor or totally irrelevant.

for 900 less certs you get a "nearly" identical weapon.

what I mean with "major overhaul" is that the weapon needs something else to stand out except for the 100 round magazine, when it wants to warrant the 1000cert/750SC price.
  19. RobotDoc

im new to the game, I only have 8 or so hours played. I used to play Wolfenstein ET all the time, 2 much lol, but i havent played any fps pc games since those days so it's been several years. Planetside 2 just kicks my freaking butt, tons of deaths, few kills. At the start it was mostly cause i was playing wrecklessly, but after playing for 4 or 5 hours i got used to looking for cover and stopped sprinting 100% the time running into combat, and then i started gettng alot more jumps on people, first shots in combat and lots of killing oppurtunities. But my accuracy/aiming is just. man it's sad lol...i really need more practice, but im impatient, so i certed into the VX29 Polaris w/lazer and a 3x zoom scope and i am SOOO bad, i have actually gone through the whole 100 rounds trying to kill one dude. Happened twice so far, But holy hell im actually getting some good kills, even multiple kills wth one life, not often but compared to how i was doing night and day. I think the scope helped alot, mid range i can see better wth the zoom, the lazer has been helpfull for my bad aiming when i fire from the hip cause u can aim fast wth it when u just run into a person and having twice as many bullets before reloading has made a big impact on my mid range game. With the starter lmg i died a few times reloading, im working on just bursting but sometimes i panic and just smash it freaking out while still trying to aim but that's my fault and usually just when i get low on hp. Just need more practice, It has a slower fire rate but i am alot more accurate wth it and it's been an improvement. I dont have the experience u guys have testing and judging these guns, but for myself so far this gun has been worth every cert ; P
    • Up x 1
  20. IamSalvation

I tested it as long range now with Grip and compensator and i really, really love it!

ATM using this for longerange and the Orion for CQC, but i think i will go back to Polaris there too as i really miss the 100 rounds and better hipfire.
    IDK but i think in real CQC its very good to Hipfire and run around and with the Polaris you have the Ammo to do it and the acuracy to still hit your Enemy.

I have really trouble finding the best weapon as LMG, i love something about everyone i have... (Orion, Polaris, Pulsar, Flare)

Allready have Auraxium on the Pulsar so i try to use a different one to get the sweet 100 certs for Auraxium there... they are all not that bad but i prefere Polaris und Flare with Comp and Grip for long ranges, Orion only for short range, don´t hit anything with it on long ranges.

The Pulsar LSW is a great allround weapon and i think if you only want to get one, get this one. It does well in CQC and at range, has a nice magazine size and great reload time, can get a 2x Reflex, Grip or Laser... just a very good allround LMG for very low Certs...

Polaris is like a Upgrade in accuracy on the LSW with the right certs on it and gets more rounds in a mag at the cost of a little bit TTK... think thats not to bad, espacialy if you like to Hipfire and jump & run in CQC...