[Video] Vanu gameplay and some thoughts about eSports

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Matti, May 22, 2013.

1. Matti

Hi all!

I haven't been palying VS all that much lately but here is my latest engi. gameplay
    Infantry gameplay in PS2 is really good as long as the servers are not overpopulated
    or spammed by tanks or maxes.
    I have also been hoping for planetside 2 to be the new eSporst game that some of us
    have been waiting for a long time now and I guess maby there still is hope for it..maby?
    • Up x 1
  2. Fumblewatt

This game does not need eSports, it is a wild goose chase by SOE and would only strain dev resources, imho the devs should focus on adding purpose and meta to the game.
    Balance just wont be achieved given the fact that every faction is different, unless forcing people to use NS vehicles, NS weapons and NS abilities.
    • Up x 1
  3. Matti

I know a lot of players feel that way, but it can also bring in more resources to the devs. allowing them to continue
    their work. I also think that eSports should be seperate from the main game it self and I would really like to play
    Planetside 2 with only NS weapons as well, it is a good game after all.

Just imagine the variety it would bring in if you every once in a while could log in to a server where you could
    play this game balanced, instead of always finding your self in "rock, paper, shotgun" or "rock, paper, lock-on"
    situations. Not many games have a regular "gun game" as well made as PS2, I would hate to see that go to waste.
  4. Ribero

I kept typing out ramblings about how Assymetrical balance is awesome and how NS weapons are the devil, but as always happens when I get to typing for too long, I forgot the point I was making.

So on to this; I know next to nothing about eSports. Can you tell me, as concisely and unbiased as possible, what eSports could bring to the game and what it could detract from the game (And how, for both of those), be it in terms of marketing, actual gameplay, Dev Team resource allocation etc.

Thanks.
  5. Matti

Hi =)

The first thing I would say, is like I mentioned in the video, exposure. Games like SC2 and LOL
    are played in big, filled arenas, drawing houndreds of thousands of viewers on streams and youtube as well.
    This generates income and a bigger player base, that also generates income, making it possible
    for the developers to continue working with the game.

It is also very entertaining to watch, it's probably the best way of learning the game and improving
    your own skill by watching the best players play vs each others.
    It also helps balancing the game, maps, weapons and some such as the devs can get feedback
    from more reliable sources and not only opinions as much based on emotions and individual
    prefered playstyle.
  6. Prince Planet

TUP Matti. Great video and skills as always. Your commentary made good logical listening.
    • Up x 1
  7. TheStink

I don't like esports like the MLG coming to PS2. The elitist attitude it bring with it is not something I enjoy encountering. It's all too serious and **** where as my approach to online gaming is relaxing and having fun.
  8. McToast

Moin

While personaly I'm not against esports, it doesn't fit PS2 very well imo. A good esports game has to be 100% balanced. I don't see that in Planetside 2 without sacrificing the difference between factions. Also I don't see how one could translate that whole big war scenario into an esports environment. I mean, having organised CWs with 12vs12 or maybe 20vs20 in a seperated base with only NS weapons isn't the purpose of the game imho.

Grüße,
    regards,
    the Toast
  9. Xocolatl

What kind of rule will you use for eSport on a game without an actual goal? There's no real winning condition, and a base takeover would be like a 30+people teams. I doubt eSport could get that big.
  10. Matti

I understand your thoughts and opinions but I have also come to realize that it's "the purpose of the game"
    that is one of many reasons a lot of players leave. In Planetside 2 you have very few options and unlike
    other shooters, there is only 1 game mode. I other games you can choose servers with smaller pop,
    no vehicles, only vehicle maps, certain weapons banned et.c.

ESports could add to the variaty of the game IMO and bring more interesting maps and game modes
    to the game. It can also help developers understand weapon balance easier and quicker.