[Video] Killing a tank zerg - AV Turret edition

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Swellzong, Mar 18, 2013.

1. SgtScum

The counter to av turret spam is a half blind monkey addicted to opium trained to use an esf with rocket pods.

But no one can seem to provide that one lowest of the low pilot to that tank zerg.

ZOMG AV TURRET IS OP!!!!!!!

ffs..
    • Up x 2
  2. p10k56

Nice ESF are counter to engies now:confused:
    Is so easy to spot AV turrets from ESF or I need ESF with ESP:eek:
  3. Kukuguy

Is freaking hard to spot lone engie with AV turrets. I always get killed before I find out where they are.
  4. SgtScum

Rocketpodding esf are the natural counter to all infantry.o_O

Also you do know there is a key you press to 'spot' the enemy for you? ;)
  5. Zcuron

Aye, that was fun~~

What isn't shown in the clip are the multiple times we died to air roughly 10-30 seconds after getting onto a rock.
    In other words, we had an unusual situation with almost no air and tons of tanks whilst in an elevated position - this makes for good footage but perhaps not a good foundation to judge the balance of the thing.

Nevertheless, here are my proposed changes;
    1. Perhaps a bit less damage. (5-10%)
    2. Warning;
    • If a missile is in the air and is aimed at a tank, a warning should be given to the tank.
    • This warning can be avoided by not aiming at the tank while the missile is in the air.
    • No warning should be given if the turret is aiming at a tank, but has not fired.
    3. Smoke functionality additions;
    • Using smoke "un-spots" you.
    • You cannot be spotted through smoke.
    While on the subject of spotting, flash grenades need to disable your ability to spot and clear all current spotted enemies - enemies subsequently spotted by allies should still appear. (if someone hid behind a crate or didn't look at the flash, he could help his team)

4. Vulnerability to snipers. (while it is quite nice to not die to snipers, I recognize that this should not be the case)
    We took some sniper fire, but opted to ignore it as it was seemingly ineffective.
    • Up x 1
  6. Dimachaerus

I love it when people start shooting these at me while I'm in my vanguard. My tank has zoom, your turret does not. 150mm AP cannon goes BANG, and then:

Free kill xp with a little turret destruction bonus on top.

Seriously though, the only times you can effectively use this turret are:

A: when there is NO air cover, any passing ESF will kill you.
    B: when you have time to set it up fairly far back from the fight
    C: when you can actually find a spot it will deploy on.
    D: there are a lot of inattentive scrubs in tanks/sundies milling around.

Any other times? Yeah, enjoy your respawn screen. It's a useful tool, but far from OP.
    • Up x 2
  7. GraphicJ

Sure Engie's AV turret is pretty powerful yet they can easily be countered with a single infiltrator, any attack from AIR to say the least.
  8. Puppy

AV Turret has always been OP. It's as strong as a dumbfire (stronger in some cases) and can be guided along with unlimited ammo. The only downside is you have to have a place to put it and stay still while guiding it.
  9. p10k56

And infils and ESF can be easily countered too:p
  10. GSZenith

fun fact just destroyed whole nc tank zerg solo, well 1 podkid came at end and tried to steal last sunderer.
    4 sunderes
    6mbt
    3 lightning
    sniped 1 random inf.
    oh and guess what even when they finally found me they couldn't touch me cos hitbox is stupid big and they only touched my turret, mind you for once i did close tower at 400m :)

finally got killed by angry tank driver running up the hill, (all tanks already dead by this point)
  11. Paqu

I agree it could use some adjusting, especially with the hitbox, but for it to be really effective several things must happen.

First you need to find good spot far behind the enemy (not too far of course) and get up to a high ground which isn't always that easy since you dont have the jetpack. Secondly there cant be any enemy air flying close by since they sure see that red dot in their minimaps and come after you. And third there really cant be any enemy infantry close so they wont see you in their minimap.

Most of the times I die to ESF or lib or sniper after being able to shoot only few rockets, but sometimes when I just get to the sweet spot and nobody spots me for a while I can totally wreak havoc to those mindless tank zergs who are too busy shooting the spawn rooms instead of being aware that something is happening around them.

Bit like this.

12. Tasogie

Its amusing the crusaders will all use this as their bible now to demand destruction of AV Turret. while happily ignoring the fact that even a 2 year old could stop this in its tracks.
    OP nice vid mate an you guys did great. Sadly though I fear it will backfire as these forums are nothing but complaints demands for nerfs by a "community" that feels its a universal experts on games, not to mention that they HATE anyone having fun in a way they dont.
  13. BraSS

Rate of fire needs to be slooooowed right down and the damage needs to be cut down. 3 hits to kill a Lightning and if there is no cover you may as well just jump out after the first hit and make a run for it.
  14. Valeriu

lol. any one of those tanks could have just backtracked the missle and one shotted you....or any sniper coudl have shut you down.

But never mind that, some people will just use this as justification to nerf av turrets so vehicle spam can continue.
  15. Valeriu

annihilators are crap, the shot just goes off course and hits teh nearest hill most of the time for no apparant reason.
  16. FigM

not to forget that in larger engagements, render distance gets smaller. Those tanks probably never seen the missiles. They were just getting damage and had no idea where its coming from

way to go SOE
    • Up x 1
  17. Dimachaerus

Congratulations. You just killed a bunch of *******. I applaud your efforts to thin the herd, but the stupid is too deeply ingrained.
  18. Trebb

What are the snipers doing wrong then? I routinely get one-shot sniped at all sorts of ranges doing this, not even a warning shot (aka miss hitting my turret first to let me know I'm in their sights :p )

Unless half the snipers use Aimbot on my server. I swear some of them do, I'll get headshotted all day bouncing around on my flash, twisting in mid-air, doesnt seem to matter lol.
  19. notyourbuddy

ESF + afterburner + ejection system will get you to any place on the map in under 30 seconds. That's the way to go.
  20. FnkyTwn

I took out 5 different Engineers using their AV Turrets earlier today at Tawrich Tech plant.
    It was mostly night at that time in the game, so it was easy to track their glowing rockets
    and send my own crashing down on them from waaaaay out.

Once you know what to look for, their smoke trails or glowy rockets are easy to track, easy
    to spot, and with you own AV Turret, easy to kill. It usually takes them a very long time to
    get into a good position, so killing them sets them back a bunch.

Some outfits (on Matherson) have dedicated ESF hill patrols. Thermal or IR spots them
    easy and they're a big fat juicy 'threat' bonus. They should probably have a bigger and
    bigger bonus based on the damage they've done. Make it like the lottery.