[Video] Drifter Jump Jets Review.

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Wrel, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Wrel Developer

Considering a pair of Drifters? Listen to my thoughts on the jump jets before spending a single cert.
    • Up x 3
  2. GigaDager

Nice video! Makes me a bit more curious about Drifters, now.

Problem is, I don't like feeling restricted in terms of my use depending on the situation. =/ I enjoy the regular jump jets because I can go up on buildings whenever I want, independent as to where I am or what's nearby.

But damn, can you stay up in the air for a while...
  3. Achmed20

nice vid, "I like"
    i didnt knew about the "tapping the forward key" thing. i kidna noticed it allready, but tapping the key didnt came to my mind yet. so thx for that :)

but you didnt mention strafing/drifting at all which is, for me at least, the most valuable things the DJs have to offer.
    just made this vid fast to show you what i mean.
    • Up x 1
  4. Wrel Developer

Good point about the strafing, will be sure to mention it in later videos.
  5. Vortok

I imagine one of the best additions to the Drifter jets is a Flash with turbo. Ramp off something into the air and then dismount midair and start up the drift jets.
  6. Wrel Developer

I mention that very thing in the video. Fun times.
  7. Paqu

I just ended up taking the drifter jet up to level 4. Its great when you can jump from somewhere high and I really need the level 5 for that if it really doubles the duration! But on ground level it sucks. It doesn't do what the description says it should do or at least what impression it gives you.

I thought I could glide on ground level but really it only glides like 10-15 meters and then you hit the ground and speed goes down. It still keeps pushing me but I can actually move faster by running at that point. Or jump again and glide another 10-15 meters..
  8. Ghoest

I just upgraded from 2 to 3. It feels like its actually worse now when jumping from the ground and drifting.
    I may be just imagining it.
  9. Bad_idea

I remember drifters being really good in beta. Jumping from a high cliff and raining C4 on the people below :D.

Using your drifters to confuse the enemy is viable as you can take a giant leap to the side and completely throw off their aim. If you press against a wall you can (could in beta at least, don't know now) go up said wall slowly, but it does allow you to gain height.
  10. Achmed20

still works
  11. Wrel Developer

You can still do this on sloped surfaces, to an extent. Plenty of other interesting things you can do with it as well.

Definitely plan on doing a Tips and Tricks guide at a later date.
  12. Bad_idea

It's sad how many overlook Drifters. If more people used them you could probably come up with some intresting ways to attack.
  13. Chiss

Are you wearing Giraffe Camo...? Those NC don't seem to be shooting you. If you are, shame on you.
  14. Wrel Developer

Snow Camo, Northern Forest I think.

Hiding in plain sight is pretty easy to get the hang of when you understand the basics.
  15. Wildclaw

Thanks for the advice on movement tapping to reduce descent. Hadn't noticed that, and it is very helpful in some situations.

One interesting thing you didn't mention is that it is possible to climb pretty much anything with drifters as long as it has the slightest angle. It is also possible to strafe along cliffs/walls without losing any altitude. Your bio lab example with the lifts can be modified to work with pretty much any cliff. Get up the cliff, fire at the enemy, then jump off the cliff and strafe along it and get up at another location.

In fact, playing around cliffs is fun with drifters. I have even used them while assaulting the Crown, and in some ways it is better than the ordinary jump jets there as the duration and regeneration rate starts to factor in. Jump jets simply doesn't have the endurance in that kind of situation. The drifters may move slower upwards a cliff, but they just keep on going.

Another think with Drifters is that they allow you to get into perfect firing positions for Grenade Launcher/Grenades.

Also, about firing while hovering, advanced laser sight reduces the spread fairly significantly.
  16. Wrel Developer

Good points on all accounts.
  17. PartNinja

Subbed.

Drifter jets are extremely good, in the right circumstances which unfortunately is what hurts it. If we could toggle the flight mode, more people would dump the points into it.
  18. Wrel Developer

Much appreciated.
  19. Achmed20

well it is thighter but only as long as you dont shoot and even that is no where near beeing useable (tested with a GD-7F and adv. laser). also it doesnt shrink again when you stop fireing.
  20. Paqu

I tested the level 4 drifters by jumping from the biolab. You can fly pretty far and it is interesting to see how far I get with level 5.

• Up x 1