[Video] Dome Shield Review - What you can do or cant do

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Davelantor, Jun 28, 2013.

1. queue

yep dome shields is a cheap workaround for flawed game mechanics.
    • Up x 4
  2. Spets

Can people not figure out how too pull aa?
  3. xen3000

That's been happening already, just look back at all the Pilot whine. :D

Dome shields are just a new tool for the Devs to add, remove, and alter however is needed to improve the game.
    • Up x 1
  4. Lazaruz

The shields just seem like a cheap and tacky add-on. Want an infantry only area in base fights? How about adding an entire underground sub-level, instead of making the actual ground level have some magical hovering shield and forcing infantry combat.

ZoranTheBear also posted a video about his thoughts on the subject:

5. ghnurbles

These should work like the gate shields. Only allied vehicles can pass through, all infantry can pass through, firing through the shield is limited, and they can be disabled by taking out the appropriate generator.
  6. NC_agent00kevin

This is completely unnecessary. What is with SOE and forcing Infantry Combat more and more? Is it this MLG stuff?

Combined. Arms.

The handling and FPS mechanics in this game are clunky and borderline frustrating - whether winning or losing. There are many better FPS options if thats what this game is going to be about. Clunky FPS combat with Tank and Aircraft sprinkles? No thanks. Combined Arms, balanced and diverse? Count me in.
  7. JimPuckerfist

I'm not sure that they should be one direction shooting, I think you shouldn't be able to shoot in or out of it and all AA gun turrets will have to be outside the shield. There should also be a way to disable the shield. So that say if the base is being camped by tanks, one of the steps needed to get to the point would be to take down the dome. Thus allowing for the defenders to bring in liberators to fight the enemy tanks, or if there is a strong defense, that generator would be a key piece to fight over. If the enemy were able to take down the generator it would allow them to bring in their liberators etc. As an ESF pilot, it would be extremely frustrating to be able to get locked on and fired at from a base, or shot at by burster maxes, with a shield like that, and not be able to fire back at them, it would definitely create no-fly zones and upset the air vs ground balance even further.

I like the idea of not being bombed by liberators while trying to leave my spawn, but at the same time I think they should be able earn the ability to attack us on the ground from the air.
  8. Spets

They must have loved episode 1 the phantom menace. Gungan shield lol.... are you kidding me.

Pull a hawk, pull a striker, pull AA be a man... stop crying. Are your leaders to fullish to pull an aa squad to counter?

Mlg will have to adapt to the game platoon vs platoon not this five v five B.S.

Why should we suffer we want war not a peashooter battle.
  9. x7xBillyDaKidx7x

Looks like the only plane thats goning to be able to fit through half those holes ,is going to be the scythe ! Bad idea dont like it. Maybe if it was contained and only fighting could go on in it, no planes inside ,and no abilty to shoot out or in. Alls i see are lockons flying out . This is pretty stupid , I mean with all the AA in game why do you need a sheild now . My Sheild is Dual BURSTER MAX and skyguard sheild!! This is completely stupid !! So what im gonna use my skyguard under a sheild now ? LOL or use my lockon rocket to hit planes flying under sheild. Looks like someones been sittin around smokin to much pot, to come up with a no brainer like this !!
  10. JimPuckerfist

I'm also not sure if the dome is even needed.
  11. Kevorkian

So wait, they changed it and you can't shoot out as well as in?

I seriously hope whats on Zorans test video doesn't make it to live. A physical shield infantry can walk on, and friendly AIR can't go through to re-arm/refuel. Poorly implemented..... :mad:
    • Up x 1
  12. smokemaker

yuck
    yuck yuck
  13. Patrician

I agree; it looks like yet another bandaid for incredibly bad base design.
    • Up x 1
  14. searcher8

SOE, please fire the ******* who thought that a shield around the base was a good idea.
  15. Kumaro

So instead of removing random gaps in the walls and moving back the AA turrets so that ground can't blow them up from a distance. They go with these shields...
    Why make a base with proper defence design when you can go the lala land arcade version and smack shields on everything...<.<
    • Up x 1
  16. LGhost1904

Shields are ugly as hell, I hope they don't add them to Amerish. They make continents and bases look like ****. I'm glad they want to keep pilot farming to a minimum so I won't complain too much. I'm definitely glad they made it so that aircraft will take damage if fly directly into the shield, had they not did that, it would have protected the pilots more than the infantry as they would sneak in, get a kill and sneak out.
  17. Makora

I'm not liking them. Not only will it just be a bandaid fix, but it WILL be bugged! Anyone heard of the vehicle shield gate issues? If you are far enough away the shields will not render and you can fire THROUGH it even though it is up. So I can imagine it's going to be bugged as all hell.

Why not improve the tunnel system? More exits and entrances. Oh well... wasted certs on libs. And if small bases get shields I'm going to seriously reconsider my stand on cert refunds.
    • Up x 1
  18. Zorlox

why are we even getting a dome shield now? people wanted it back when libs(and maybe esfs) were a potential 'problem' not now that they just get swatted away like an annoyance. btw, why bother putting one over a base surrounded by 30 AA turrets? I seriously hope they keep it so AA can't camp inside the shields either. because that's not already an issue in this game right?

the only good thing(by good i mean brings fun to the game) i see is the ability to go on top of them. one other possibility would be making a facility that generates power for the shields so that you can sabotage it. Don't even make it a regular base, make it work outside of the hex/lattice system so that it's always a potential target. to counter the vulnerability just make it somewhat close to the warpgate, not right next to it but not all the way by the crown either. that might actually give players something new to do. I could always go with a 'secondary' objective.

Also, I agree with what zoran says in his video.

Infantryside?
  19. Jachim

The fact the shields cannot be taken down is a giant no-no. This'll turn every base with them into pseudo bio lab fights, and we need less of that, not more.

Seriously, why is it that SOE insists on phasing out combined arms gameplay? I am for these shields if they can be disabled, adding further objectives that change the dynamics of a battle.

Before you cry, I rarely fly air unless it's a Galaxy. But seriously, the changes on Esamir they showed off a month or two ago showed giant walls and canyons funnelling armor into deathtraps or outright disabling them from joining in on fighting.

I can understand the desire to keep solo-play tankers and ESF's from just killing infantry mindlessly, but good base layout and more cover is a far more logical thing than just 'turn all bases into mini BF3 fights'
  20. Jachim

What 'flawed game mechanics' are you talking about? Actually utilizing the weapons platforms given to your side? Teamwork requiring air/armor/infantry to work together? This game constantly is gearing itself towards solo players... it should be geared towards outfit play and team play but it's not.

I'm by no means disagreeing with the dome shields being a poorly implimented shoe-horn, but this game must maintain its combined arms aspect and stop catering to infantry only gameplay, so calling armor and air 'flawed mechanics' is a bit much, I think.

I understand their desire to keep the 'infantry farming' to a minimum. They can do that many other ways.. such as increasing cover, larger indoor base fighting, etc. I'm fine with all of that. I run a tank most often and use AP more often than not. I'm not about the infantry farm, I'm about the outfit play supporting my infantry against enemy armor and the like.