[Video] Dome Shield Review - What you can do or cant do

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Davelantor, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Davelantor

The new dome shield look really fun,
    As a pilot i am looking forward to it, while the current shields in test server are not the final form
    I will post the new video to this thread once the shields hit the live server with the changes told by the devs.
    • Up x 10
  2. Cowabunga

Interesting! They turned out quite different that I imagined but cool nonetheless. Nice to hear it from a pilot's perspective.
    • Up x 5
  3. Degenatron

I'm wondering why this is even a thing. I haven't ever seen a need for these.
    • Up x 11
  4. Nocturn0l

Sorry but i have to say, it kinda looks stupid how they end in the middle of thin air, kinda looks unfinished. I like the idea of giving infantry more breathing room against vehicles, however for aircrafts the one-directional fire will be a pain since they can't shoot back. I can already hear the cries of the pilots that SOE has created a new no-fly zone.
    In an ideal scenario you want infantry fighting inside the base, tanks fighting outside of the wall and aircrafts battling it out in the skys above. However that is not the case, because base entrances get camped by tanks so leaving is impossible, base turrets are destroyed instantly and after the gens go down they just camp inside the base, with dome shields now even protecting them from aircrafts.
    • Up x 4
  5. IamDH

Does this mean i wont A2G? :S
  6. Kevorkian

Not around the spawn you won't.
    • Up x 3
  7. MarioO

Do we even need those? People suggested dome shields a long while ago, when Liberators where a huge problem and A2G were rockets even more dangerous than now due to the few anti air weapons. But since we now have the Liberators and rocket pods nerfed and got all these anti air weapons, I don't really see a reason for these shields.
    • Up x 7
  8. Dvine

Its because lolpods and liberators, too bad that since they started to work on the shield concept pods got nurfed to crap (yey!!) ad Liberators are hardly the death machines they were 7 months ago.

TL;DR: No purpose..
    • Up x 6
  9. Klondik3

Shooting is one-directional? So AA can shoot out of the dome after all?
  10. IamDH

So these domes are pretty much no-fly zones
    • Up x 1
  11. Shoza Nakh

Dome shields don't save badly outnumbered defenders, just cut off some farming abilities of aircraft's. Amp stations and tech plants have enough cover from air attacks and always fail to armor and infantry zerg. This shields funny, but nothing more. Small bases will benefit much more from such defense.
    • Up x 2
  12. Greddy

WOW! what a lazy base design! to make bases more infantry friendly, they dont add trees and structure that can give them cover, but they add dome shield that sticks out like a sore thumb. The whole thing is so misplaced in aesthetic design, like an afterthough, which the domeshield are.
    • Up x 5
  13. Flashtirade

These have to be released at the same time as no-deploy zones, or they'll cripple air power and base defense simultaneously.
    Those around the spawn are alright, but having them cover tech plants shield generators and certain areas in amp stations (especially that back alley which is closer to the objectives than the spawn room) is too much. The way they work right now, deployed sunderers under those shields would have virtually no threats from the air.

I'm okay with them for small bases though.
  14. Lamat

These dont seem as bad as others had been saying. I think they should drop with the scu though. It would also be cool if a sundy could cert a module instead of ams that would create a small dome in the field.
    • Up x 1
  15. Gbank

This is a terrible design.

It is just a shortcut to make bases more infarntry friendly.

JUST REDESIGN THE BASES WITH MORE UNDERGROUND FIGHTING AND COVER ABOVE GROUND.
    • Up x 13
  16. MrK

Cannot be taken down.... :(
  17. SharpeShooter

these are the worst things ever! We honestly don't need them and I for one realllly don't want them! I never fly EFSs I'm a crap flyer but and I still think these are terrible, I never get killed by ESFs as it is! This will destroy gal drops also. THEY ARE NOT NEEDED. The problem is they have come to the "point of no return" as they have put so many man hours into making these pointless domes that they will put them in even if the community don't want them.

The only good thing that can be said about these is that ESF farmers such as daddy will not be getting their Giles on anymore. Or at least it will be harder to do so.
    • Up x 6
  18. KlyptoK

What. The. ****.

Why does flying through the shield blow you up?

What about drop pods? Are they going to blow up too?

Are they on all of the bases?

Why do we even need these? Bursters are nerfed and you don't see aircraft mass-farming the ground like that.

They are also kinda ugly imo. We only need the walls, not the shields.
    • Up x 1
  19. Davelantor

Yep, we dont need them ... But it will be fun to fly inside them :D
  20. Hotspoon

These dome shields look like ****. Sorry, but how freaking LAZY! So... basically, it's just another spawn room shield. Like people were not complaining enough already about spawn room campers and how bad those shields are. Someone above said it perfect. They really should have just added more underground tunnels and underground areas in general, including putting the generators underground. These dome shields look absolutely terrible, and I just can't see how they are going to achieve anything except frustrating the population. Their only truly effective vs air, and do nothing for tank spam, and the best counter to tank spam is air... so what the **** are you guys doing??
    • Up x 4