[Video] AV Turret Preview/Review/Rant

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Wrel, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Blackinvictus

I bought it with some left over station cash. Like I said above, not a be all end all weapon by any stretch of the imagination. Last night tried open field, bridges, defense from rooftops(horrible). Hard to find a good spot to set up (deploys exactly like the mana turret, though it seems like it takes longer, might be me) and was an immediate advertisement of the location of my position as soon as I fired it, drawing all manner of snipers and LA's to me. Slowwwww reloading. Does pretty good damage, but by the time the thing reloads, that tank you were firing at is long gone. I did get a nice sundy kill on a bridge though, but I think that was luck and one of the few times I wasnt focused on with the thing.

I'd say its nice to have as a sidegrade, but I think 1000 certs could be better spent elsewhere for your engineer, unless you have everything you want on him already.
  2. LameFox

Well, they go in their own slot, so I don't see what difference that would make. You need to refill those at a terminal though, which isn't the case for a turret.
  3. LameFox

If you snipe at all, try using it sort of like you might use a sniper in a window: fire through a small gap from far enough back that you've no more than the field of vision you need (in order to guide it to a target in this case), rather than the more usual 'sit in the window' approach most people take. Not necessarily from an actual window (though the non-shuttered ones may still work), but from between two buildings, etc. Don't be one of the geniuses putting it on top of a hill so that when people look there you're sticking out just asking to ride a cannon shot to hell.

As an added bonus, were you literally using a window or other similar terrain objects, you might have the roof/wall block an incoming cannon shell or two.
  4. Strongback

Wouldn't say this is OP as it is kind of hard to hit unless you're flanking, which means my Flash is going to see much more use.
    You can still rack vehicle kills much faster and much easier with an annihilator and infantry kills with roughly any other weapon.

The reason why this could be perceived as OP is because of the potential range it has and how relatively safe you are from using it.
    It's amazing terror weapon, but it's still pretty situational.

However, I do think the tanks need some love after this.
    Mainly the smoke screen, which logically could be the counter for this.
    You could easily make the area where the smoke affects 3 times wider and make it last much longer, like 30 seconds or something.

It's already kinda difficult to hit with this thing, so logically if you deploy a smoke screen, this should allow you to avoid being hit, but as of current state it really doesn't.
  5. MrK

Good addition, but :
    * it 1 shot infantry. I've parked mine on top of a tech plant, shot some prowlers which shot me back and killed me. Re-did the smae but shot at infantry coming from nearby sattelite. Granted, not 100% kill, but got enough of them, and could easily get out when shot at, relocate, rince & repeat...
    * it 2 or even 3 shots ESF. And hittiing one isn't simple, but for hover-****** staying close to you.

This is not logical. It's a sidegrade to a AI turret, for AV job. Should deal more damage to aircraft (like 75% ESF health per shot), less to infantry.
    Apart from that, perfect.
  6. smoke eater

Thanks, I was curious about this and how it was in actual battle. Never really liked mana turrets as sometimes I find that they are really picky about the spot you have to set them up in when you are outside of a base. Also hate when you get something to demo out and then find there isn`t too much to shoot at and get an accurate and fair trial with one. For 1000 certs, I may end up spending it on many of the other things I`ve thought may be useful.
  7. Blackinvictus

@smoke. I did have a shining moment with the AV turret Sat night on NC Briggs. Got locked in a building with 3 Vanu Sundy's parked inside and pretty much a whole enemy platoon all over the place. Said to myself "F*** it, I'm going to die anyway" so decided to set up the turret in a corner and get off a couple of pot shots before they all killed me. Fired at the one closest...hit. Looong reload, hit...S**t my pants cause I know they are going to see me now...destroyed. LOL. Did that two more times and killed all three sundys! Yelled at the outfit to come back and we wound up taking the base hahah!!!! Man I just knew I was going to die, but they kept running around the sundys, repairing etc. and NEVER saw me, hahahaha!! I wound up running out when the shields were down!
  8. Rusky

One month, no nerf. One more perhaps ? ;)
  9. Wrel Developer

Got ninja nerfed in GU4.

Takes longer to redirect rockets mid-flight, resulting in less control overall :'(

Doubt that's the last of it though.
  10. Rusky

Did it ? Can't say I noticed, then again I don't use it that much.

And I still don't consider it an issue as a tank driver. I've died....3 or 4 times in the last month to one heh.

My only gripe with it (and the upcoming VS and NC launchers) is that you get no warning that one is heading your way while in a vehicle.
  11. Wrel Developer

The biggest issue with the AV Turret at the moment, is that the projectiles don't render at extreme distances. So enemies won't have a clue where an attack is coming from regardless. They'll just see their health drop repeatedly.

Don't know if you've seen this already, but here's the full review.
  12. Rusky

Ok, not sure if it's the double xp weekend or those stealth buffs you mentioned but suddenly i'm seeing everyone using this thing and now I'm getting blown up regularly by it :(