[Video] AV Turret Preview/Review/Rant

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Wrel, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Deavonere

Try that with Phalanx. Believe me, it is still a piece of cake when you compare them.
  2. chrollo

this thing sucks, slow reload slow projectile speed limited firing radius, you have to be still to fire it , you have to be standing in place to guide it, the turret takes forever to set up, only one shot. Oh sure you can take out an enemy if they are dealing with a more serious threat like idk a heavy with a rocket launcher >_>
  3. DrankTHEKoolaid

One clip in a magazine? Who are you Joe Biden? :D Sorry I had to, even though I'm guessing most people won't know what I'm talking about.
  4. LameFox

Think of it more like a missile launcher with a tripod, rather than those 'riot control' looking machinegun turrets. It's not like you run out of them, so don't stay on it and die like so many idiots today have been. You can place one and fire a rocket then move and put another one down elsewhere, like a HA with a launcher. Only unlike him, you could do this from something like .8 of a kilometre away for the same damage as the dumbfire launcher.

I'm guessing the missile will keep following its course if abandoned as well, which if true would mean you can forsake the guidance after firing it and still get a flat trajectory, for when you can't risk sitting on it the whole time.

Also, I think it turned out tanks have 4k HP, with 50% resist to the sides/top, 55% to the front, and -20% to the rear. Vanguards notwithstanding. So the OP's damage is a bit off.
  5. Speedy87

Not every class should be able to effectively kill armor, but an engi should more than any other class and should have more tools to do so than any other class that's looking from most games and logic aswell, im not a spoiled brat and u dont know **** about me my friend... ive played all classes but as a main i play engi and i know what im talking about its really really simple
    up till now the 2 OTHER classes that (ha,la) could kill armor much more effectively than an ENGI who should ALWAYS BE the most capable and versitle class when it comes to killing armor
  6. VSMars

Still, claiming something is "instant" when you have to gather the resources for it for 50 minutes (assuming a generous average 100 infantry points per 5-minute tick) is dishonest at best.
  7. Achmed20

OK Shields might be the wrong term, but it has a rather big Hitbox to the left and right going beyond the actual model. nothing arround the head though
    large fights! im not talking about a single tank

nevertheless, it is cool, but has serious drawbacks.
  8. Achmed20

what are you talking about? are you playing a different engie then me?
    i got 7(8 if you count grenades) tools and weapons to choose from which i can carry arround all the time.
    1. normal weapon
    2. underbarrel smoke/grenade/shotgun
    3. pistol
    4. repair tool
    5. explosives (AT and AP mines and C4 + a ridiculous amount of them)
    6. turret (AP and AV)
    7. ammo packs
    (8). grenades

thats 13 weapons/tools in total, 3 of them exclusivly to blow up vehicles. of which you can use 2 at the same time.
    1 less then the HA which is dedicated to destroying vehicles. thats mroe then enough.
    also, if you so badly wan to shoot at vehicles why not jsut switch classses?
  9. blzbug

I was sniper bait during my trial, and that was on Genudine with crappy low population! (It was a decent size fight during the trial tbh).

Once the infantry rendering improvements are on all servers, you will truly be putting your head on a silver platter if you have to guide this thing on multiple long range shots.

I'm sure there will be some cool, special things you can do with the turret when the right situation arises. And it is certainly a more useful item than the stock turret. But there are some serious drawbacks that even out the whole package, imho.
    • Up x 1
  10. Speedy87

what's the point of this discussion if all i said is that finally i can have a good anti armor capability as an engi and u called me a spoiled brat for wanting that, as far as im concerend non of them was anything other than pure luck ,finding a sundy without mine guard or actually getting close enough to place a C4 is really really rare, so u can have all of that
    only thing matters now is the AV turret that allows me to kill tanks without relying on luck.
    im a spoiled brat what can i say
  11. Dakkaface

Don't see it as OP or encroaching on HA territory. The Engineer's hat has always been fortifying areas - providing static defenses and damage. We have static AV capability - an AV turret, AV mines. These don't move. Heavies have mobile AV capability - they can pop out, fire a shot, pop back while reloading.

In reality this isn't wireguided - it's laser guidance - the missile moves toward where your crosshair is, but continues moving forward out to the horizon or it hits something. If it was real wireguiding like the old PS1 Phoenix - the cries of OP would be furious and endless, as Engys parked these behind a hill and rained an unceasing and accurate barrage of missiles down with no fear of retaliation. BTW, look forward to the anger and cries of OP when they release empire specific rocket launchers and NC Heavies get the Phoenix back.

Skip to 1:30.
  12. RasFW

I think at extreme distances, the AV MANA turret is overpowered. Every day, when theres a crown fight and the prowlers are stacked on the hill at crossroads, I'll set up at a place where literally the vehicles almost stop rendering. At this distance, I'm almost impossible to see, because I'm just a spec on the screen. I can then curve the rockets to hit the prowlers from all angles and further mask my location, while still dealing rear armor damage.

Its not "3 or 4 shots" to take out a sunderer, not even an uncerted one. Uncerted Sunderers eat about 5 of these rockets before they're on fire. And an engineer can out-repair the turret if its at base-level cooldown. Tanks are, like you said, 2 hits on the rear armor. Lightnings, too. Infantry are OHK if you indeed do hit them and not just do splash damage. MAXes are left with less than 1/4 HP from a direct hit, if not certed into flak armor. Through this, I've found it to be my weapon of choice indoors when I'm confronted with the hordes of Hacksaws/Mercys. I don't know if I was just fighting the wrong people, but some MAX users seemed to know that these things hurt. They didn't charge me, and I was able to pop a rocket off very fast and finish them with my carbine. But this is situational to having that vantage point on the door, having the time to set up, and not getting shot off the turret.

As for the firing mechanism itself, curving around an obstacle requires some pretty good timing and skill. I'd have to equate it to the Scorpion from Planetside 1. Not everyone could be good with it, but the people who were could kill for days. I think you exxagerated its ability to hit stuff behind rocks. The speed of the rocket makes it extremely difficult to hit a sunderer hugging the other side of a rock. The only way I could see myself hitting one is if I made some extreme exxagerated arc to the left or right and curved it almost horizontal. Thats not saying I haven't nailed a retreating prowler who ducked behind a rock. But to know where a travelling enemy is going and knowing just when to turn to hit him takes more luck than skill, even at the high skill cap.

Another things I'm waiting for snipers to learn is I now render as a vehicle, which means you can see me for MILES. I haven't been sniped yet at extreme range, but I'm looking forward to congratulating the first guy that does.

My overall analysis:

Ranges

Close - 6/10. You're stationary, which is dangerous. You need time to set up.
    Medium - 4/10. At this range, tanks just love to pick you off.
    Long/Extreme - 11/10. Nothing can stop you. Have at it.

Damage - 8/10. Feels a little too powerful, or I'd give it a 10/10. It should deal damage somewhere between dumbfire and lockon. Right now its like a wire-guided decimator.

Now, as for the class that gets it, it only makes SENSE that the engineer does. He has the other turret. But like others have said, the engineer was already too versatile of a class. Ignoring the fact that he shares a lot of the other class's guns and just looking at abilities... He can repair, lay AP and AT mines and C4 (and a whole crapload if you've certed), and AV/AI turrets. The class might be becoming too diverse. It was too diverse before.

This might be a better suggestion in another thread, but perhaps AP mines should go to Medics. Medics can heal people and lay mines down to kill people. Engy can heal tanks and lay mines to kill tanks. C4 could strictly stay to LA and Heavy.
    • Up x 1
  13. RasFW

I did love knifing some pheonix nests, though.
  14. GraphicJ

To be honest "hard counter" to everything is currently the Heavy Assault throne. Engie is a close second. I know because I exploit them both until SOE opens their eyes.
  15. Wrel Developer

Other way around. Engi turrets render at vehicle distance, so infantry have the upper hand versus turret users at the moment.
  16. chrollo

last time i checked 2 mines or 2 c4 autokilled a tank and I have no problem sneaking up on a tank to use these
  17. Blackinvictus

Picked it up last night. I don't think its overpowered at all. Nice new tool to have in the toolbox, but still a pain in the a** to find a spot you can set it up and not get sniped/blown up by tanks, etc. I think it's situational at best. Your'e not going to be spamming it from a hill (granted you can find a place it will set up) for very long and not get noticed. I mostly concentrate on the support role in the Outfit anyway, but when not doing that, will definitely be messing around with this.
    • Up x 2
  18. isilyan

+1
    A nice Long/Mid range choice for the Engi, but damn the deployment+finding a spot got me killed alot:)
    + the sens when you aim at long Draw/Render distance, is a bit tricky(since you cant zoom):p
    As many ppl said, this is a Flanking/Ambush weapon, And the Devs 1st step into Guided-rocket land......
    Btw i would think the Damg. is in the 1500-2000 range, but does anybody have the Damg. stats for it?
  19. Zcuron

Here's what they can bring;
    1. Main weapon.
    2. Weapon attachment. (<---not available to HA or Infil)
    3. Secondary weapon.
    4. Ability. ("F abilities" - engi turret - jumpjet)
    5. Tool. (Repair//rocket launcher//heal//recon dart - HA can use the suit slot for additional capacity)
    6. Grenades. (... suit slot)
    7. Utility. (C4//other explosive - Engi can use the suit slot for additional capacity)
    8. Squad beacon.

I wonder why it suddenly looks a lot fairer?

Your gripe seems to lie with the "infinite ammo" that the engineer grants anyone around him - what do you suggest be done in order to remedy this situation?
  20. smoke eater

This will really piss of the vehicle drivers.

What I would like to know from people that used it is: Is it worth it?

Is it worth the grind for the 1000 certs for how useful it actually is on the battlefield? How well does the rocket respond when you move the cross hairs around, will the rocket move in a tight arc or a very wide arc (so we can play around a bit with our shots).