[Video] AV Turret Preview/Review/Rant

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Wrel, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Speedy87

oh so your saying i can be effective as an engi against an armor column attacking a base ????? let me run to them and C4 the tank.. oh wait i'll get shot down by infantry instanty, let place a a couple of mines than.... oh wait they got mineguard and my mines dont do ****
    here's a fact ... none of the tools u had was really effective against armor untill now, other than being really lucky on occasion,
    its not about being spoiled its about having proper tools, every other class has ... lets call it a physical advantage, LA can fly, HA has a shield, Medic can heal, Infi can cloak...
    all engi has is his tools and they just got the upgrade they needed
  2. Metritirodogiy

As vulnerable as you are, it greatly increases your versatility.

Compared to the AI turret, it's pretty much a flat upgrade from my PoV. In this sense, I'd like to see it so that you can't switch it to the ammo pack, meaning that you have to chose between being able to provide ammo at any time while using your rocket, or being able to tank mine, but not being able to provide ammo while using the rocket turret.

Sure, you could deploy the mines prior to it, but you're trading some of the on the field utility for combat versatility.
  3. Highway_Star

People that say it's OP are just people that don't use it. That's the rule of the PS2 forums.
    • Up x 1
  4. Rusky

I'd like Heavies to lose their shield so they can use the launcher too but can't have everything I guess.
  5. Highway_Star

I guess you don't know that the engineer carries 2 ammo boxes by default then?

He carries one on slot 3, and one in the turret tool. Switch to the turret and press B. You can now place ammo boxes.

You can use the rocket turret and still retain your ammo supply ability.
  6. Rusky

Oh he knows, he was saying we shouldn't be able to do that :p
  7. Highway_Star

Ah, so it should be like BF3 - where I teamkilled support players because they chose the mortar instead of moving up and supplying ammo.

It's a silly idea to remove a core function of the engineer because you'll have people screamig at them for ammo in vain. It would be better if the AV turret was in the same slot as AT mines.
  8. zukhov

That vid show exactly how hard it is to use the turret effectivly. You got maybe one or two hits? It lasted just a few seconds on mag hill.... A HA lock on would have killed a lot more stuff and you would have not been noticed so easily.
  9. Achmed20

like i said, you are a spoiled brat for wanting everything in the game on one class.
    also, obviously you havent even played any other class out there because the active skills dont help **** aggainst killing tanks (except JJs)

i hereby order you to play each class exclusivly for 1 week and then tell me how usefull HA shields, selfheal and especialy cloaking helped you to kill whole collumns of tanks.
  10. Wrel Developer

Wrong.

If your placement is poor, perhaps?

Correct. Keep in mind infantry render distances are increased on 3 servers already, and coming to more as testing continues.

The footage I used in the video wasn't too great, that's something I wish I could go back in time and re-do. But basing opinions on what I did and didn't kill while I was alone in an open field (thus not playing to the Engineer's strengths) is childish.

All I will say is. I have a hard review scheduled in about a month. And I think the footage I've collected so far (not included in this rant video) will surprise those who think this is balanced, to say the least. :')
  11. Rusky

Why does every class skill have to help you kill tanks ? And how does the AV turret kill WHOLE COLUMNS OF TANKS ? (and if you're going to say by having 10 engineers camp a hill, I got news for you, it's called the Annihilator).

The engineer is a versatile class that can do many things and tends to excel at vehicle related stuff (driving, repairing, blowing them up etc..)

A HA will ALWAYS be better as infantry, a LA will ALWAYS be better for flanking and taking out critical targets, a Medic will ALWAYS be better at keeping an infantry squad going and so on.

I'll hold you to this and link back to this post in a month.
  12. Bloodrite

how exactly do you do this?
    5 AT mines 75 * 5 = 375
    4 C4 100 * 4 = 400
    3 AI mines 75 * 3 = 225

Thats a 1000 infantry points there, you have 750 points max, So unless your faction holds indar that's not even close to possible
  13. Ghodere

By resupplying when you have spare resources. You can stockpile up to 40 of a given consumable.
  14. Zcuron

You forgot a few things;
    Heavy weapons
    Nanite mesh generator
    Resist shield
    Adrenaline shield
    Munitions pouch

See? The list is indeed pointlessly expanded when you include mutually-exclusive things on the list like you did for engineer.

My problem lies solely with the apparent dishonesty involved in these comparative lists you made, I'll agree that the engineer should not be a priority when it comes to new features.

My ranking of "who needs love first";
    1. MAX units - they're quite strong, but they're incredibly dull to play.
    2. Infiltrator - A new tool, a cloak, and a rangefinder for the high-power scopes would be great.
    3. Rest.

As for the AV turret, I've noticed an interesting trick you can do with it which I shan't share, it's quite situational.
    Beyond that, perhaps the damage should be toned down a little. (5-10%?)
  15. Curse_Gamerkin

then again, those heavies rockets arent guided. and the guided rockets are weaker.
  16. Compass

I'm sorry I do not play the Heavy Assault enough to list everything off the top of my head. I play the Engineer enough to know that I am a virtual one man army.

The Heavy Assault can bring, to my knowledge, the following, with him:

LMG or Heavy Weapon with Some Amount of Magazines
    Pistol
    Rocket Launcher with Some Amount of Rockets
    Frag/AV/Conc Nade
    2 C4
    Magical Shield Device

The Engineer can bring with him:
    Carbine/Shotgun/Battle Rifle
    Grenade Launcher if S Carbine Pistol
    Pistol
    Frag/Sticky Nade
    Repair Tool
    Five AT Mines, Four C4, or Three Proximity Mines
    Seven Million AI or AV Turrets
    Seven Million Magazines in the form of an Ammo Pack

The engineer definitely did not need another tool in its arsenal, especially one that is basically a TOW launcher.
  17. Deavonere

It's the most OP weapon right now. If you don't think it's OP then you have no idea how to use it right. I can snipe and destroy tanks from 950-980m using phalanx. You know what I'll do with this ? Magriders will burn like marshmallows and they will not even know what hit them (until they are obliterated).
  18. Rusky

Please come back and share that AV turret auraxium medal then. I'll be waiting.
  19. DrankTHEKoolaid

Lol in the video I posted I shot a sundy at about 800 meters with the AV turret. The only reason I even knew the sundy was there was because my friend was inside lighting himself up. Not only that but I had to hold perfectly straight to get a hit, had me moved 5 feet I would have lost him. Not to mention the 5+ seconds of travel time it took the rocket to get there.
  20. LameFox

I haven't used one, but from having a few people fire it at my tanks, I can't say it bothered me. So far the most effective use of one I've seen was a guy who ambushed me and another skyguard with one of these from a tall rock behind us. He hit the other tank twice in rear armour and killed it - about at the exact moment I annihilated him and his turret with flak.

The rest have been people who seem confused about how exactly turrets and tanks interact with one another, and have tried to stand off sniping at me with it. Apparently they're used to annihilators or something, because they forgot that they render in a turret.