[VIDEO] Angry Tankbuster

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WycliffSlim, Apr 6, 2014.

1. WycliffSlim

First off, when you get attacked by a Liberator with a Tankbuster from behind, back up. It's much more difficult for them to track you as it requires them to point their nose into the ground

Secondly, Dreadnaut and I both have more kills on vehicles ALONE with C4 than you have total kills. You seem to think that pilots never spend any time on the ground. I have more kills with any two classes alone than you have total in the game on all your characters. I've got 6 infantry weapon Auraxiums that, again, total up to more kills than you have in the entire game on all your characters and that's only on my main character.
  2. Levtech

You're looking at how fast it kills, not how hard it is to use/aim. Get someone who is neutral on the topic to give you their honest opinion on the tankbuster.
    • Up x 1
  3. lawn gnome

actually i am looking at the aiming difficulty and 10 rounds per second is far too easy.
  4. WycliffSlim

What does RPM have to do with ease of use?
  5. lawn gnome

more shots = more chances to hit. otherwise ESF would all get tank cannons and no one would complain. there is a top end where rate of fire stops mattering but that increases with the speed of the combat.

ground vehicles are very low speed combat (1/3 of air combat speed) and as a result should never require high rate of fire weapons to kill, where ESF move at very high speed so the 10 rounds per second provides a substantial benefit in hitting them. the shot velocity does help at range but in close it makes very little difference (where the TB does the most damage).
  6. IamnotAmazing

Please, show me how easy it is, I havn't died to a tank buster since I can remember, it's only possible to kill bad, non-moving, unaware players who would've died no matter the weapon you were using, or the esf screwed up/was fighting something else
  7. WycliffSlim

Even in close you have to literally aim off the screen to hit an ESF that's afterburning.

Also... you haven't responded to the fact that even though you tell me to go play on the ground and see what that's like I have FAR more experience on the ground than you do.
  8. lawn gnome

well if it is almost impossible then lowering the ROF and trading it for a comparable increase to damage shouldn't change things for you at all and you have no reason whatsoever to fight this.
  9. WycliffSlim

And then it one shots infantry and all the infantry players cry.
  10. IamnotAmazing

sticking with the policy of "it it ain't broke don't fix it"

the tb has nothing wrong with it
  11. lawn gnome

that would take a decent chunk of skill to properly hit targets as small as infantry and thus should be rewarded. besides there are plenty of other things that one shot infantry and most of those have blast radius. i really don't think most players will really notice one more and the current tank buster only takes 3 shots at roughly 0.2 seconds TTK to drop troops anyway so as far as i am concerned there is almost no difference there.
  12. lawn gnome

yeah uh huh. you all seem to be very militant in your "neutrality"
  13. IamnotAmazing

so we're done here, the tb is fine, have a nice day

also I have five times the kills you do, just on my main, I'm perfectly "militant" thank you very much
    • Up x 2
  14. Dreadnaut

Yeah from the rear quarter ONLY.

All the guy has to do is turn 90 degrees to his left or right and your entire kill shot has been taken away from you.

You have to plan your ingress and egress long before you pull that trigger or you will die. You have to know where the enemy is, what turrets they are manning or hacked, where all the enemy Sundies are, where other armor is, other aircraft and the list goes on and on...
    • Up x 1
  15. Gundem

The CAS30 Tank Buster's design is inspired from the main gun of the A10-Warthog. The A10 uses a ballistic rotary cannon to drive 30 millimeter cast aluminum cased depleted uranium slugs at 3250 feet per second into it's target(Referred to as "The Victim") at a rate of 4000 rounds per minute.

The weapon model is a giant *** Gatling gun. Why should it have a low RoF? Plus, the shots travel at a snails pace, that limit's it's range well enough.
  16. lawn gnome

i am planning to use what i learned here to make corresponding adjustments to the flight document started by WycliffSlim.

ok so in an effort to avoid being a hypocrite i did some testing in the VR. yes i know that is not anything like real combat, but it did give me some insights (after i figured out how to NOT crash). i have also bought a TB and intend to upgrade my liberator so i can continue with actual combat testing against real armor columns and whatnot. the bullet drop kind of surprised me, i did not realize any aircraft weapons had significant drop (of course up until now i have only really fired primary weapons on the scythe)

so first the TB is actually kinda bad at it's preferred role of destroying tanks unless you are right on top of them, making it generally inaccessible to new players where it's primary role is concerned. on that note i recommend doubling the max damage range to 100 meters. minimum damage should begin at around 200 meters.

although i still do not like the "gotcha" moments that the high damage inspires so an overall DPS nerf for the max damage is in order to go along with the extended range.

after some sparing with a scythe in VR i still hold firmly that the tank buster is too good at A2A. so we should reduce the rate of fire and increase the damage to maintain DPS.

i would like to stop with all of the insults and simply trying to downplay the value of each other. so if we could completely start over and have a proper adult conversation about this.

so here is the weapon i propose:
    Tank Buster revamp:
    • max damage: 1250 out to 100 meters (slightly reduced DPS, but doubled effective range)
    • minimum damage: 715 after 300 meters (same as current long range DPS)
    • shot velocity: 300m/s (same as current)
    • rate of fire: 120RPM (2 shots per second)
    • magazine size: 15 rounds
    • little or no shot spread
    to go along with the changes to the tank buster the vektor should have vastly increased A2A capability.
    Vektor revamp:
    • armored vehicles should have very high resistance to this weapon (i originally said they should be immune, but after thinking on it more that is most likely a bad idea)
    • max damage: 120 under 50 meters (30 damage to ESF)
    • minimum damage: 60 beyond 100 meters (15 damage to ESF)
    • shot velocity: AT LEAST 600m/s
    • rate of fire: AT LEAST 1000rpm
    • magazine size: 200 rounds with at least 2,000 ammo storage
    • shot spread that is comparable or greater than that of the skyguard.
  17. Justicia

Alright, how about you graduate from VR and try it on tanks and EFSs that move?
    • Up x 1
  18. FaLI3N

That really doesn't matter when they have the belly gun to finish up. The sound of a liberator sneaking up on you just isn't distinctive or loud enough to pick out at a range that will have a meaningful contribution to your survival in a tank. I am not a new tanker, I know to back up in those situations, the thing is that it just plain doesn't matter. Instead of giving the pilot a kill you are giving him assist points, at the end of the day you are still dead.

However as you said you have all this planning etc that takes your skill and experience into consideration. It does not matter how much skill or experience you have in your tank, unless they are a total bad or you happen to have enough skyguards spamming at them to blind your pilot or scare them off of their attack angle then you will die. People get frustrated when they get killed by something with no time to react and the recent AP resistance buff that liberators got just ticked a lot of people off that were already slightly annoyed.

If they reverted that silly buff and made your engine noise either travel further or more distinctive then I would have no problems with your near insta-gib TB. The weapon itself is fine and takes skill to get the most out of it but the silence of your approach coupled by the complete hopelessness when you attacked by it is not fun and the tank has no counter-play options. They should take this opportunity to leave the engine noise the same when equipping the stealth cert line, people have been asking for it forever anyway.
  19. Justicia

So, instead the Lib just hovers 50 meter over the tank and Daltons it to pieces. There is less counterplay to that than to a low approach TB run.
    • Up x 1
  20. FaLI3N

Hardly, at least when I am being hit by a dalton I have the illusion of hope. I could maybe ramp up on this rock or hill and hit him once to make him back off and dsirupt his gunner's aim or maybe it would leave him open to, god forbid a friendly ESF who actually sees I need help. A sneaky TB run is just "wait thats a lib engine", reverse as fast as possible and still lose 70% health, "oh he couldn't aim for crap", boom too bad he had a secondary gunner. Well that was fun.. Even if I could hit him with my main cannon during that or saw him coming and hit him twice it would not of averted my death.

I have certed a scythe with stealth and got 3 c4 on the bottom to deal with libs the same way they deal with me, silently with no chance of retaliation. The ones I get often rage, oh the irony.
    • Up x 1